Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2023, 08:05 AM   #1
Blueswede

Dish Network or Direct TV…..

We recently decided to switch from Spectrum to DN so we could take a dish on the road to get TV in our Cougar. So far, I’m less than satisfied with DN. I’ve called twice to voice my complaint about the audio and the speaking being out of sync. Got it fixed the first time and then it happened again the next day. Now I have to wait for a tech to show up on Tuesday. And I was told that I have an MLB package to watch local MLB. Nope, not on the package.
Just wondering what others are using for a mobile satellite service in their RV and how satisfied you are…..
Old 09-16-2023, 08:08 AM   #2
TXiceman

Dish has worked fine for use. We traveled full time for 10 years and had no issues. Now we are part time and have Dish with Wally and a Playmaker for the trailer and Dish at home.

Ken
Old 09-16-2023, 10:02 AM   #3
Dacheedah

We have dish at home and one in the camper. I have the Hopper in the house and about 7 joeys without issue. For the camper we have a wally and on occasion , usually after a period of non use, we have to call them and they send codes and that fixes it. We do have it connected to wifi at home and have a dish ontop the garage just for the camper , and now keep it plugged in at home.

Army, 7th ID 7th MP Co
Retired LEO
9-1-1 Director
Dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 05:07 PM   #4
notanlines

We also have Dish network in Florida and are satisfied. We have nothing to compare it to, but it is worth what we pay.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 05:17 AM   #5
cougar23

We have Dish at home and have the Dish Tailgater for our 5th wheel. Our only complaint is that we have to call Dish to get local channels for each state we camp in.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 06:41 AM   #6
Pull Toy

Our first outing this year we didn’t have a cable site. I created a Hot Spot on my phone, synced to my laptop, and HDMI’d to my TV. Using my “Dish Anywhere” app. It was just like being at home! All my subscription channels were there, plus my local news from home, and access to my home DVR files.

Slightly more convoluted, but lots cheaper than an extra subscription. No extra fees or equipment to drag around and set up. By using the campground WI-FI, I still had adequate bandwidth for minimal buffering. I have an unlimited data plan, but this might be a consideration for some.

Good luck,
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 07:23 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
Our first outing this year we didn’t have a cable site. I created a Hot Spot on my phone, synced to my laptop, and HDMI’d to my TV. Using my “Dish Anywhere” app. It was just like being at home! All my subscription channels were there, plus my local news from home, and access to my home DVR files.

Slightly more convoluted, but lots cheaper than an extra subscription. No extra fees or equipment to drag around and set up. By using the campground WI-FI, I still had adequate bandwidth for minimal buffering. I have an unlimited data plan, but this might be a consideration for some.

Good luck,
It's the same with DirecTV. Their "internet presence" allows us to either watch TV using our satellite dish (while at home) or use the internet to log onto our "DirecTV streaming service". When we have a good internet connection, we use our Amazon Fire TV to access the internet and choose the DirecTV app to watch the same programming in the trailer that is streamed to our satellite dish at home. Our only "complaint" is that we have to revert to OTA TV to get the "local weather and news" in the location where we are camping.

As long as we have a good internet connection, there's no need for any "RV dish or location issues" we just "stream our at home service using the internet".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 08:42 AM   #8
Carl n Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It's the same with DirecTV. Their "internet presence" allows us to either watch TV using our satellite dish (while at home) or use the internet to log onto our "DirecTV streaming service". ...
Huh? I am long time DTV user with a set top box and antenna. I know I can shift the set op box to use an internet connection when the sat signal sucks. But I wasn't aware one can access "DirecTV Streaming Services" to view my DTV channels without the set top box.
Pray tell, how does one do this magic? Is this via the DTV App and/or from my PC?
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 10:55 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Huh? I am long time DTV user with a set top box and antenna. I know I can shift the set op box to use an internet connection when the sat signal sucks. But I wasn't aware one can access "DirecTV Streaming Services" to view my DTV channels without the set top box.
Pray tell, how does one do this magic? Is this via the DTV App and/or from my PC?
DTV user with a set top box and antenna ??? Do you mean a set top box and satellite dish ???? If so, and you have a satellite dish on the roof or in your yard, this is what worked for us:

Do you have a "smart TV" or an "Amazon Fire Stick" ??? IF so, use the TV remote or the Fire Stick remote to access the internet on the TV, then download the DirecTV app onto the TV. Access it and sign in using your DirecTV login. You'll probably be told to enter the access code sent to your DirecTV email account. Use your laptop to access your email and enter the code and your TV should activate DirecTV streaming services.

We've been DirecTV customers for about 20 years and were "grandfathered in" when they first started their streaming service. Back then they told us we had a choice of using either the satellite dish or the streaming service as both were included in our monthly bill. I understand that changed sometime in the past 10 years, so "newer customers" may not have the "grandfathered clause" and would have to pay for their streaming access in addition to their satellite access... I'm not sure what your particular access might be, but the above is what worked for us. Now that we've done that initial log in, we just turn the TV on and it's ready for Prime TV, Netflix or DirecTV depending on what app we select... Our only issue would be if we get a different television, we'd have to do the inital log in on that set before it would work...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 11:17 AM   #10
coastn

Responding to cougar23's comment about having to call Dish when changing local channels. If you download the MyDish app you can change them wherever you land via the app as long as you have a cell signal. No more calling a rep in Manila to do it for you. Can also restart your service when you first go out. Been working very well for me for a couple years now.
Demco Slider Hitch
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 11:21 AM   #11
Hblick48

Streaming (whether it be Direct TV, Dish, Netflix, Roku) require a good internet connection. In my experience, very few campground wifi is good enough to stream. If you have your own good internet connection (cell phone, Starlink), streaming is great. Otherwise, a satellite dish works anywhere and is not dependant on a good internet connection. You can get HD on any Dish antenna. You can only get HD on a few Direct antennas. Direct antennas are almost always more expensive than Dish.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 05:04 PM   #12
Carl n Susan

JRTJH: Thanks for the info. I have a smart TV in the RV but haven't used it's capabilities yet. Somewhere I have a Fire Stick. Between the two, I should be able to get it working via WiFi.

I had the old DTV App on my tablet for a long time. I loved that App as I could download any and all shows from my DVR when at home and then watch them where ever I was - even without WiFi. But DTV killed off that App and replaced it with one that is vastly inferior.

This gives me something to do on my next outing.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish