Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2018, 08:36 AM   #21
rogermack50

The Furrion comes with a 4.3" screen/monitor that plugs into a cig lighter.
rogermack50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:44 AM   #22
captjimmy

Our 2018 Raptor 426TS came with the Furion already installed. Yes, it is on all of the time. It was explained to us that it is an "observation" setup to be used while driving so that you can see what is behind you. I like the setup the way that it is.
captjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:44 AM   #23
markjamestx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipper View Post
Any recommendations on good wireless rear cameras? A few of you mentioned furrion. are they good? If so anybody recommend a specific model? There are so many models available with very mixed reviews. Any help appreciated
I just purchased a Zeroxclub wireless camera with a 7" monitor from Amazon. Easy install to the running lights. They included two brackets for the camera, one of them allows for vertical mounting where the antenna does not conflict with the bracket. $199 kit was on sale for $149. Excellent reviews, but there are some people that have intermittent signal loss. Today, I strip the wires and soldered them to ensure a good connection. Leaving tomorrow, we will see how it does. The seller has offered me an extended antenna?
markjamestx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:27 AM   #24
Snoking

Our 2019 Laredo 225MK prep is wired to the clearance lights on the trailer. Turn on the parking or head lights and the camera comes on. I did not think I was going to like it wired this way, however it is fine. Chris
Old 08-26-2018, 10:38 AM   #25
LaTundra

Garmin GPS

Neither my 2010 Tundra nor my 2011 Laredo 291tg (33ft) came wired for backup camera. However, my Garmin Rv660 GPS can handle 4 wireless backup cameras. I ordered 2, hooked up one to the Tundra license plate, and hooked up the second to the Laredo license plate. Hooked in to the running lights. Installed the wireless sending unit in a storage compartment. While I'm driving down the road, I can switch on the camper camera and see what's behind me. When backing up, I can see what's behind the camper. Works great!
I would suggest you check out your GPS to see if you have the backup camera option.
LaTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:03 PM   #26
Sleeve66

I own a 2015 Cougar SRX which did not come with a camera. Having worked as a mechanic for a garbage company I have experience with several types and brands of back up systems. My favorite is a company called Rear View Safety. They have all different types of cameras and systems. I ran my wiring thru 1/2" pvc down the frame and used some stick on conduit up the back of the trailer to the camera to make a nice install. Mine is viewed on the rear view mirror and it is on whenever the truck is on with the trailer connected. The camera has the same ratings as the best ones out there, but at a better price. My system cost me about $299.00.
Sleeve66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:28 PM   #27
efrulla

My Cougar X-Lite came pre-wired for the Furrion camera as well. However, I have discovered that mine is wired to the running lights so I need to turn the truck lights on in order for the camera to come on. No big deal to me because I always tow with the lights on.
efrulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:17 PM   #28
craftguy

Update to our camera wiring issues:

Just got the trailer back this week. Dealer advised the factory wired the camera wrong, just as we suspected. It also, so they said, burned out my camera from being on all the time. After some haggling it was all covered and operating as it should, with headlights or parking lights on only.
craftguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 04:50 AM   #29
rogermack50

Thank you for all the great replies. Well I arrived at the dealer Tuesday morning and in 5 minutes he hooked up the camera and it worked fine. He said he did nothing, just plugged it in and boom, there it was....Figures, I had my best friend climb the ladder and hook it up originally as I am a disabled veteran and couldn't do it. He said he had done his and it was easy...OK, anyways it is on full-time when there is power. On a side note on the way to the dealer I hit a boulder on the rear driver corner tearing the lower back wall out a few inches. I never saw the boulder or heard anything..I have a $1000 deductible, we took it to Bailey's RV in Amherst, NH right from the dealer and they made it water-tight so we can go on a trip to Peters Pond Campground in Cape Cod on Labor Day for 5 days, they ordered the new side panel which crunched a bit and will do some fiber glass repair to a spot and paint the whole rear panel...Jeez...so lets recap, I bought a 2019 5th wheel a month ago..We went to Danforth Bay in Ossippee NH for 10 days, first trip we had trouble getting Hot Water, but a friend was with us and after a few hours we figured it out, when leaving the brand new sliding hitch would not lock in around the RV knob, only one of the springs locked in the other side wouldn't, the park maintenance couldn't figure it out so we had to unhitch drive 100 miles to the dealer who replaced the hitch that day then drive back and hookup and go home...then I realized I need a backup camera and you know the rest of the story. So far RVing is not what I expected, I was told the 5th wheels were easy to work but it is not as easy as I thought...Here's to hoping our bad luck is behind us a we prepare for trip 2. Our plan now instead of enjoying different places is to get a seasonal up North NH, Maine or Cape, then one down South in Central Florida...Thank you everyone..
Mac
Old 09-01-2018, 05:56 AM   #30
Snoking

Mac, 5th wheels tow great going forward if you remember to swing just a bit wider, as they track inside a turn. Backing is a different animal! 5th wheels react slower, as the whole truck has to move to one side or the other before the trailer starts to turn. The trick is to pull 1.5 times farther forward they you thing you need before starting to back into a spot. Chris
Old 09-10-2018, 09:16 AM   #31
markjamestx

Sent the Zeroxclub camera back for a refund, bought a Furrion at more than double the price but it works great. Real-time viewing at 56' behind me. The measurement lines on the screen show from 5, 10 and 15 feet behind you are fairly accurate (within a foot). Great product, don't even look at Zeroxclub, yes it has a 7" monitor versus the 4.3" Furrion but it just doesn't work.
markjamestx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #32
rogermack50

I took my Furrion to the dealer and it just worked when he plugged it in...I took 1 trip to the Cape and really didnt pay too much attention to the 4.3" screen but it worked flawlessly the whole trip. On the way to the Dealer I hit a boulder..Causing $1000's because it hit just right that it separated the back panel at the bottom about 6" and dented the side panel, thus re-fiberglass small area in back and re-paint the whole back, then new back side panel as it dented up...Yes, it is a 2019 model, so will not skimp or just leave as is...We did have it professionally chalked up so we didn't have to cancel our Cape Cod vacation. I'm starting to feel like Robin Williams in RV...LOL...2nd trip to Cape ended with Zero problems, just enjoyment, thus my spirit was raised as I prepare to make a trip to Florida in Nov to park it there in one of the Seasonal RV parks near Kissimmee..I have never filled up the gas on a long trip yet, thus I am nervous of how am I going to find easy gas from Boston to Florida every 3 hours without unhooking etc and still looking for someone to make the trip driving switching out driving every 3 hours. So much to learn but starting to see the light...
Old 12-02-2018, 09:43 AM   #33
Khunt

Hi there,
So My husband and I have been looking into rearview backup cameras for our travel trailer and also for our truck. Does anyone here know, if you purchase the Furrion Vision Observation System and get 2 cameras, if you can mount one to the truck to use a backup camera on the truck for everyday use when not towing? Or does anyone know if one of the "Rearview Safety" systems would be better?
We've also toyed with the thought of getting the RV Garmin Nav system and wiring a camera to that, as we have talked to others who have done that. The other option was one single furrion camera on the back of the TT and the just getting one of those iBall backup cameras that you just plug in when you use it for hitching up and then hide it away in the glove box.(Although my husband would like a daily backup camera if possible, he's spoiled when he gets to drive my 2019 Big Horn with all the bells and whistles!!) We are trying not to have a dash full of monitors either!! There seems to be so many options and just not sure which route to even head down!!! Head starts to spin when researching!!! Figured its better to ask those in the know who have been there done that!!

Our tow vehicle is a 2015 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with a short bed and our TT is a 2014 Keystone Sprinter 316BIK that's 36'. (TT is not prewired with a plug and play system)

People have mentioned the signal strength of the wireless system is not that great when over 20' or so are we better off with a wired system and have it professionally installed?

Thanks o much in advance for any input or helpful tips!!
Khunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #34
rogermack50

I'm sure that you'll get better responses than mine but the system that I bought from Furrion 381556 for about $350. had only one camera, i didn't think there is another way to hook into that system with a 2nd camera but i was wrong according to the Answers to Questions under the product on Amazon. "Yes you can, would just have to purchase the 2nd camera unit" "yes but you would have to pair the camera to the monitor each time you moved it" these answers are under the product on Amazon, the question asked "i have two 5th wheels can i put a camera on each of them and just use the monitor i will only be pulling one at a time"...but since it is Bluetooth it wouldn't really matter on one or two separate RV's, it would just have to be paired with the monitor each time you use that particular camera, to me that's probably not what your looking for, i would expect you would want both camera's working at once, but the monitor doesn't work that way...Note: There are 191 Questions answered under this Product with many having several response, I don't have the time to go any further but if you research you'll find a answer...
Mac
Old 12-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #35
SheriP

I just bought a 2012 Cougar XtraLite. How can you tell if it's pre wired?
SheriP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team

If you have one of these located on the rear upper part of your RV, directly under the center red clearance light, then it is wired for a Furrion backup/observation camera. The device will look like this photo.

You can watch a utube video here:

Most older RV's simply have two wires connected to the center clearance light and coiled behind the FILON. On those trailers, you'd need to fish the wire through a hole to connect the camera power.

Many manufacturers are now installing the Furrion base plate complete with wiring. 2019 Cougar Half Ton trailers should have (according to Keystone's website) the base plate on the trailer.

ADDED: My 2014 Cougar XLite did not have wiring in place. Rear cameras were not considered a "popular option" back then. My guess is that your 2012 is even less likely to have wiring from the factory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FURRION CAMERA PREP.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	19630  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:52 AM   #37
chay1950

I had already installed a rear camera on my TV located on the license plate. It's not wireless, so I ran the cable from the dash mounted screen back to the camera. This allows for 2 cameras. I wanted the rear camera on my 2013 Keystone Springdale without adding another screen on my dash. Furrion did not have what I needed at the time. I went with the Tadibrothers wireless camera. They have a pigtail that plugs into the Furrion cable that was already pre-installed on the TT. I had nothing but trouble with the wireless setup. I guess it was too far from the receiver located on the dash. That would be 29ft for the TT plus about 10ft, +-2ft, for the TV. I finally went with the wired model and have had no problems since then. 39ft doesn't sound like a long distance until you realize that the antenna signal is going thru a lot of metal until it reaches the dash. The pre-wired cable is tied into one of the TT's running lights. It is off when the TV lights are off and when the TT is unplugged from the TV. This is my second TT and I have never had success with a wireless camera system. I always go with wired.
chay1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:44 AM   #38
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you have one of these located on the rear upper part of your RV, directly under the center red clearance light, then it is wired for a Furrion backup/observation camera. The device will look like this photo.

You can watch a utube video here:

Most older RV's simply have two wires connected to the center clearance light and coiled behind the FILON. On those trailers, you'd need to fish the wire through a hole to connect the camera power.

Many manufacturers are now installing the Furrion base plate complete with wiring. 2019 Cougar Half Ton trailers should have (according to Keystone's website) the base plate on the trailer.

ADDED: My 2014 Cougar XLite did not have wiring in place. Rear cameras were not considered a "popular option" back then. My guess is that your 2012 is even less likely to have wiring from the factory.
Both our 39' 5th wheel and 22.5' TT came with that mount. The observation model camera works great on both trailers. I will note that the camera needs a good strong 12V power supply. Chris
Old 08-20-2023, 01:48 PM   #39
Josephl

did you check what the voltage was at the middle running light? I checked mine at the camera and it was only about 10.5v. I had replaced the lights with leds and this was the voltage. Trying to figure out why such a big loss at the batteries it's 13+volts. Ideas????
Josephl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 08:58 AM   #40
Hpcthulhu

What water proof sealer to use on fiberglass

I am installing a rear camera on my 2024 keystone bullet 1700bh and need to know what size screws to use to hold mounting bracket and what type of water proof sealent to use on fiberglass siding, I assume i need to pre-drill the screw holes? Thanks
Hpcthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, wiring