Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2018, 06:59 PM   #1
Ranger

RV batteries will not charge from shoreline outlet

My 5 wheel will not longer charge the batteries when connected to the shoreline outlet. I have no lights and the slides will not operate. There are three items that are working, residential fridge, microwave and ceiling fan. I can connect to my tow vehicle and battery will charge to 12.4 volts but discharges quickly when I disconect from the truck. Why doesn't the shoreline charge the 2 batteries and allow me to operate everything in the RV? It has since I purchased it in May but something has changed. Any syggestions? I have two disconnects and both are on. One in the battery compartment and the other one where I connect to water. I am frustrated with the situation as this is my first 5 wheel. Thanks for the help.
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:43 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

You did not list checking the batteries and connections. Sounds like it could be a convertor issues as a guess. Did you remove the batteries recently? List your trailer it may help with advice.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:56 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I'd start simple. Check the connections on the batteries. Are the tight? Are they corrosion free?

Use a multimeter to see if you are getting power to the batteries.

Take the caps off to make sure the plates are covered. If not, add distilled water.

Just some thoughts.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:07 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

You say it "no longer will charge". That leads me to believe it did at some time. How old are the batteries? Have you or someone else removed the batteries or cables? The more info you can provide the better. Try searching the forum, I bet there have been a dozen identical posts the last 30 days. With the limited information given I would start by removing both batteries and have them load tested.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:51 AM   #5
cavediver

You said that you charged the battery with your truck and it discharged quickly, might just be the battery. You can have it load tested.

Jack
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:57 AM   #6
Ranger

2018 Montana 3121 RL batteries will not charge when RV connected to the 220 50 amp

Thank you to all that answered. I purchased the Montana 3121RL new in May 2018. Since it was my first fifthwheel I have spent lots of time understanding how everything works. It was a 75 mile trip from the dealer to my home in northeast AL and the batteries charged as I traveled. It is a 50 amp service and I used the provided 50 amp cord to connect the RV to my 220 50 amp outlet. June and July allowed me to play and supply the RV as I checked out the A/C, TVs , residential fridge, worked the 3 slides, hooked and unhooked and all the other things you do with a new toy. The unit was always connected to the 50 amp outlet. Then last week I went in the RV and flipped on the interior light switch and no lights, exhaust fans or slides worked. I went to the breaker panel and no breakers were flipped. I checked the fuses and all was good. I had not touched the two disconnect switches which are in the battery door and the other in the water hookup door. I connected the RV to my tow truck and let in run. In about 15 minutes I had lights again. Once I disconnect my truck and the RV is plugged in the the 50 amp outlet , I loose my lights and others things that depend on the battery to operate. The microwave , ceiling fan and my residential fridge all work. The connection to the 50 amp outlet with the 50 amp cord should charge the batteries, but this is not happening. What could have changed over the two months when it was connected to the shoreline and everything worked. Hope this gives a better understanding for the experienced RVers to comment. Thanks
Old 08-12-2018, 12:38 PM   #7
bobbecky

If you have a volt meter, I would check for power from the 120 volt breaker going to the converter. Even though you say you see no tripped breakers, it might also be a good idea to fully open all of them and then flip them back on again. Sometimes they don’t show much movement when tripped. And just to be sure, your battery disconnect switch that has a red key for a handle is open when you can remove the key, and closed, meaning connected to the battery, when the key is turned and can not be pulled out.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:14 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

"Follow the power". If you're comfortable with a VOM just chase down the power. Start at the battery it it's easiest to access and check the leads from the converter to see that you have charging current. If so, start with the batteries and go that way. If not, start with the converter and go that way.

I know it's an almost new trailer but I wouldn't guarantee you have a new, or quality, battery. While you're looking at the battery pull the caps; what's the water level? Can you see it? If not, suspect the battery. Just isolate from point to point and you will find the culprit.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #9
Ken / Claudia

Time has changed, 2 months, check the batteries. As the 1st step, 5 on here telling you to, we all cannot wrong. Although I am sometimes.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:15 PM   #10
Ranger

Thanks and I will do that ASAP. Have a great evening