Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
twvette

Chassis flex...interior doors wont stay closed when hitched

Picked up new Fuzion 420 fifth wheel and when it is on ground leveled both of our two bedroom and bathroom hinged doors up front will stay closed and latch just fine. When hitched on truck it seems to be flexing and doors wont close so has some flex. These two doors are next to each other in front. Its not that the doors rub on the door frame and wont close into the frame, just the knob latch wont engage properly to latch. My previous Weekend Warrior had only one hinged door but did not have this issue. How concerned should I be or is this common and just need a slight adjust on the door handle latch? Maybe more flex is transferred with the firmer walls/door frames newer rigs have?
twvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
Desert185

Re: Chassis flex...interior doors wont stay closed when hitched

Mine occasionally does this. Take a Dremel tool to the female side of the latch and make it bigger.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:30 AM   #3
twvette

Took into dealer to fix along with the rest of my long list of stuff and of coarse they did not listen and failed. They added a shim to the hinges for some reason and did not test. So, I took a close look at it and noticed the markings on the latch plate from both doors showed they were both were barely closing at all to begin with as the latch plate was way too high. Was able to carefully drill new holes to shift plates down a bit and open up the notch in the wood a bit with a drill/dremel. No problems now hitched or when leveled closing. No other real signs of chassis flex issues so figure its normal.
twvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:39 PM   #4
MattHelm21

Same problem here. When hitched door won't latch. I found if I lift up on the handle, I can just get it to pop into the striker plate. I'll be going the Dremel route myself soon. The plate just needs to be cut down about 1/8 of an inch.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:57 AM   #5
xrated

I had to do the same exact thing to the bathroom door on my T.H. Remove strike plate, carefully dremel opening a bit larger, and re-install using the same screw holes as original. Just remember, you've got lots of weight going down the road hitting bumps, expansion joints, potholes, etc and there is no way that any trailer isn't going to flex at least a little bit.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:57 AM   #6
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by twvette View Post
Took into dealer to fix along with the rest of my long list of stuff and of coarse they did not listen and failed. They added a shim to the hinges for some reason and did not test. So, I took a close look at it and noticed the markings on the latch plate from both doors showed they were both were barely closing at all to begin with as the latch plate was way too high. Was able to carefully drill new holes to shift plates down a bit and open up the notch in the wood a bit with a drill/dremel. No problems now hitched or when leveled closing. No other real signs of chassis flex issues so figure its normal.
exact same situation with our '17 Carbon 337, barely closes when unhitched and jacks down, won't close when hitched. How hard would it be to get this **** right when they build these things???

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:30 PM   #7
gearhead

Same here. I got two bungee cords with the 1" diameter balls and bungeed one door knob to the other.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch