Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2018, 09:00 AM   #11
dcg9381

Agree with the non-parenting comments. If the vents are really hot, it's probably an issue with a lack of air flow in the duct and may need to be looked at. The furnace on these things does put out some BTUs, but shouldn't be dangerously hot.

Another alternative - when hooked to the grid is to use space heaters. With a 1 year old, just putting them on the counter top keeps them out of trouble. If you have 50A service, you can easily run 2 x 1500 watt heaters, which warm my 37' rig until it gets to be below 40 outside. Much quieter than the furnace and cheaper than propane.

dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #12
Butchh

Assuming the furnace is working properly and not producing a dangerous amount of heat. Here's an alternate solution; switch the vents from metal to plastic. The conductivity of plastic is significantly less than metal and therefore will not 'feel' as hot. Once your child has grown a bit, you can switch the vents back to metal or not.

I hope this helps.

Butchh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #13
Barbell

I'm with John on this one. When I get out of bed, I step barefooted on the vent that it next to the foot of the bed and even tho the furnace has been running for awhile, it is never hot. Feels good on a cold morning. There is something wrong; get it looked at while the rig is still in warranty.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:09 PM   #14
dcg9381

Heck if you can get them to drop the belly pan under warranty, heck of a deal... Ask them to look at "anything else kinked" that might be under there...

Fix the AC ducting while you're at at.. :-)
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #15
notanlines

All good advice, as usual for this forum. But Butch of Calgary seems to be in the lead right now. Kudos to you, Butch.
2017 Mobile Suites
20K Reese slider
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #16
Ksupaul

We will be doing some cold camping this weekend I think. I will be taking an infrared therm and measuring temp of my 3 vents for comparison. Will report back.
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:25 PM   #17
Pull Toy

Just to play "Devil's advocate" here.....

1. The vents are relatively hot because that's why it's called heat!
You want heat? It has to come from somewhere.

2. There are ways to keep kid's and pets away from heat, and other hazards.
Put a TV tray or apple crate or similar obstruction, even a play-pen, over the grate. It won't catch fire, trust me... but it will let warm air out, but no direct access to the metal. Use a space heater (on the counter) or a heat pump / fireplace instead of the furnace with floor grates.

I hate to sound like a smart a** here, and those who have known me here, I hope know better, but..., I've had two daughters, and six grandkids (three of each, the youngest of which is now five,) who all knew what HOT!!! meant. Be it steam radiators, baseboard hot water, oven, fireplace, campfire, and they all survived with no scars. Until they were old enough to comprehend, it was my job to keep them safe.

For you to attack a member of this forum, who's response was well intentioned, after only a "FEW" posts on your part, is not wise. If you want to profit from the collective wealth of our myriad of members with tons of practical parenting and / or camping experience. There's a lot to be shared here!

We're here to help... but loose the attitude. You're not the first new parent to have a new camper!

By the way...

Welcome from a cranky old Grandpa!

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET III"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM   #18
Ksupaul

Used infrared thermometer last night. The two vents closet to the furnace put air out with temps from 145 to 160 degrees at its highest. The vent grate was 135-140 for the first 10 seconds once furnace shut off. Take that for what it’s worth.
Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM   #19
sourdough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksupaul View Post
Used infrared thermometer last night. The two vents closet to the furnace put air out with temps from 145 to 160 degrees at its highest. The vent grate was 135-140 for the first 10 seconds once furnace shut off. Take that for what it’s worth.

I guess I should measure mine to see exactly how warm they get because I don't know. I know they make me pick up my foot when it has run awhile. Unfortunately, the sun is shining, the AC is on and I'm going with DW to the beach in a bit. Another thing to think about with the infrared gun; if I remember when I was researching before buying mine, all of them except the very high dollar ones can deviate considerably from the actual temp; several degrees if I recall. Probably not an issue on something like this but something to keep in mind.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM   #20
Ksupaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I guess I should measure mine to see exactly how warm they get because I don't know. I know they make me pick up my foot when it has run awhile. Unfortunately, the sun is shining, the AC is on and I'm going with DW to the beach in a bit. Another thing to think about with the infrared gun; if I remember when I was researching before buying mine, all of them except the very high dollar ones can deviate considerably from the actual temp; several degrees if I recall. Probably not an issue on something like this but something to keep in mind.
So jealous of your day. Wind blowing 35mph and 45 degrees in my part of Kansas. I hear you in the infrareds. This one gets used at work on AC vent temps and a swimming pool. It has been found accurate enough for those applications. But we’ve never used or confirmed it for anything much above 100 degrees.

Tags
floor, heat