Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2018, 04:20 AM   #1
Blaze1955

Re-leveling trailer

Re-leveling trailer hello up there I’m new to this I have a 2018 keystone hideout 38FKTS it was put on site last fall it’s on blocks on a permanent seasonal site how do I re-level it properly any hints and help I would appreciate thank you
Blaze1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:32 AM   #2
Harleydodge

Here's a C/P of page 30 in the owner's manual.
(not trying to be a smartass)
It will be a good place to start:

Keystone RV Company Owner’s Manual 4/1/2010
Unit Set Up
Once you have arrived and parked in your campsite, before removing the camper from your tow vehicle, your
camper needs to be leveled to assure proper operation of certain features (refrigerator, slide-outs, etc.)
Leveling Procedures
Choose a site that is as level as possible (Some sites are equipped with a prepared surface such as concrete
or asphalt). Ensure the ground is not soft and will support the weight of jacks and/or other support
devices.
Before uncoupling, level the unit from side to side with suitable lengths of 2” x 6” wood blocks under
the tires. Place the wood blocks on the ground forward of the wheels and tow the unit onto the blocks.
Use wheel chocks to be sure the unit cannot roll.
Use a small level in the refrigerator, on a counter top or floor of the trailer to make sure it is level.
Lower the A-frame jack (Travel Trailers) or landing jacks (Fifth Wheel) onto wood blocks (or other).
Once the unit is level, put wheel chocks or blocks in place so the unit can’t move, uncouple the unit
from the tow vehicle.
If equipped, lower the stabilizing jacks onto blocks until they firmly engage. Be sure all 4 jacks have
about the same pressure on them as to not put the unit in a twist. Doing so can cause slide-outs, doors,
etc. to bind and/or operate intermittently. DO NOT attempt to lift the unit with the stabilizer jacks.
These are not designed to bear weight, only help stabilize the unit from movement.
Before resuming travel, be sure the stabilizer jacks are fully retracted.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:14 AM   #3
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze1955 View Post
Re-leveling trailer hello up there I’m new to this I have a 2018 keystone hideout 38FKTS it was put on site last fall it’s on blocks on a permanent seasonal site how do I re-level it properly any hints and help I would appreciate thank you
Side to side or end to end? If side to side use a bottle jack at the axle spring perches. If end to end retract rear and front stabilizers and use the tongue.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:16 AM   #4
Blaze1955

Thanks that will be some help where do I put a level on the bumper in the tongue or inside using the floor
Blaze1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:40 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Where to place the level is more a matter of choice and convenience rather than necessity. For example, I have a large bubble level mounted to the pin box that I use to position the trailer before unhitching. We have a 4' level that we place on the floor inside the entry door (on vinyl not carpet) if we're unsure or if it's easier to read that when working on the trailer "door side". I have a set of small bubble levels mounted at the road side rear of the trailer to I seldom use any more and we have a Dometic "round bubble" level that we place in the freezer if we need to check refrigerator operation while camping.

So, I guess we're "level rich and trailer poor" so to speak.

Which of the above, or which several of the above, is more a personal choice than a "do it this way or else" kind of decision. Whatever works for you is the "right way" to choose which level or where to use it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:50 AM   #6
Ken / Claudia

Check the level in as many places as you can, bumper and tongue for sure.
I did same on 8 cement blocks along frame rails, because it was at the coast. I removed the tongue jack and factory stabilizers as they would just rust in place. Also removed wheels/tires all went into the shed. I put small blocks of wood under hanging axles. Only RV I have had that was solid when walking on floor. Skirt it to mainly keep cold air from flowing under and the floor your wife may not complaint of cold floors.
I used a bottle jack. If planned out and stuff you need on hand it might take a weekend.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling