Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2017, 06:45 AM   #21
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Uh, silly Paraptor, you seemed to have left out pressure gauge, on-board compressor, 50 feet of hose, hydraulic jack.....holy schmoly he should have bought a longer 5'ver!
I notice he is not up yet, OR he is already out looking for the stuff you mentioned and I did not include in the list think we may miss most of the snow storm
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:49 AM   #22
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
I notice he is not up yet, OR he is already out looking for the stuff you mentioned and I did not include in the list think we may miss most of the snow storm
You must have missed my last post ^
Old 03-14-2017, 07:33 AM   #23
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
You must have missed my last post ^
YEAP, I must have been typing at the time remember I type S.L.O.W.L.Y. . Anything is going to be better than what you have on there now!!!

Like I mentioned have been running the 85 'now for two years with no issues. Have to admit did not measure exactly my distance mainly because it did not look close. Nobody else has caught anything. We need our rigs inspected every year. My dealers State inspector is really strict and through . Would think our rigs would be quite similar.

OH WAIT probably has something to do with your "Folding Ladder" Number of steps and overall distance off the ground

Added: 4 or 5 Tires
I have been bouncing on these awful roads up north and getting in and out of crazy campsites entry roads
Old 03-14-2017, 07:51 AM   #24
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
The 80s show to be 30.8 in diameter and the 85s show to be 31.7. So that's almost an inch lost between tires and 1/2" lost above tires. The between doesn't sound like it would be an issue, or would it, the clearance above...I don't know. That's why I'm asking.
I did this on the carbon 327, the clearance to deck was tighter. It works, no rubbing, but I've never fully loaded the garage to capacity.
There are lift blocks you can get to get the clearance back, if you really want to deal with it.. But while you're in there you might as well do the shackles and upgrade the U-bolts too.. :-)
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:58 AM   #25
canesfan

Debating some things. If I buy them from Wmart it's one thing, if I get them from him (cost about $150 more) it's another. I can ask him if he would get both sizes and we can see what's what. If I order from Wmart I'd have to pay for them all up front and then have to deal with shipping them back. Not sure if they have free returns on tires. Still leaning towards the 80s at this point.

Paraptor, our inspection at my dealer consists of going in and asking if they will put a new sticker on and him coming out and putting it on. No charge. I once went to a local garage to have it "inspected". The girl (an engineering student) came out and asked me to turn on the lights. I did. She says "oh, look at all the pretty lights". She asks me to step on the brakes. I did. She looked at the brakelights and said, ok. She came out with the sticker and couldn't reach the pin box where the old sticker was. I climbed in and asked for it. She said no, she had to put it on. She then went and got a ladder so she could reach the pin box and put it on herself. I never went back there again.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:19 PM   #26
CaptnJohn

Most Wally World locations will not mount and install on the trailer. So, you either have a lot of work to do or pay someone else to install. Unless you want the work .... My local dealer charged $97 mounted, balanced, and installed.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:22 PM   #27
ChuckS

Really odd about wheel size of 6.5 inch

I installed 14 ply G rated LY tires on my Sendel wheels three seasons ago and have zero issues

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...th_Radial_Tire

Also seems odd this place is selling 6 inch wide wheels with all their 14 ply tires. I just don't buy into the 6.5 inch mania.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:56 PM   #28
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Really odd about wheel size of 6.5 inch

I installed 14 ply G rated LY tires on my Sendel wheels three seasons ago and have zero issues

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...th_Radial_Tire

Also seems odd this place is selling 6 inch wide wheels with all their 14 ply tires. I just don't buy into the 6.5 inch mania.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was also curious until I did more research on the subject.

The best information on a 16” LRG steel cased tire will be found in the tire data book for the Goodyear G614 tires. It clearly lists the rim width as 6.5” and the measuring rim as 6.5” and no others are mentioned.

It’s very difficult to find data books on China made tires. Basically we have to trust what the wholesaler prints in their PDF files. However, If you know someone with a TRA year book the rim info for all tires is in there. Those books are confidential and I don’t have one.

I did some research on trailers fitted with China steel cased tires at a RV show earlier this year. They are serious enough about the 6.5” requirement that they put it right on the tire’s sidewall. Here is a picture of a steel cased ST235/80R16G Westlake tire.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=29709

Most tires are built with a rim width range. Something like 6” - 7.5”, maybe with a measuring rim size of 6.5“. The LRG 16” steel cased tires are very heavy compared to polyester cased tires. IMO the manufacturers want them to seat properly and to insure that they only want them on 6.5” rims.

This is a tire industry standard: Tires should be mounted on approved rim widths. If changing tire sizes, check to make sure the rim/wheel has adequate load and inflation pressure capacity. For rims/wheels not so identified or for service conditions exceeding the rated capacities, consult the rim/wheel manufacturer to determine the rim/wheel capabilities.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:32 AM   #29
canesfan

1. I posted earlier that I would not have Wmart mount or install the tires. I can get them from Wmart and save roughly $150 or more per the going prices elsewhere. I would have them installed at a tire shop that knows what they are doing and handles RVs and trucks on a regular basis.

2. Not sure what LRG 14 ply tires have to do with this, what am I missing?

3. I posted above that the 6.5" rim width stated on the Carlisle site for the 235 tires was "incorrect" per the person I spoke with at Carlisle. He stated the rim width should be 6" - 7.5".

Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:35 AM   #30
canesfan

BTW, it was asked in a post recently why the Carlisle tires are "so cheap" and "you get what you pay for". Well, maybe, maybe not, but when I was talking to Carlisle I mentioned Wmart "giving them away" and he said, something like "yes, they just bought A LOT of them". So apparently they got a nice discount when they recently bought "A LOT of them". I'll be happy to take advantage of that discount, and since it was recent I will expect to have recent date codes, too.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:53 AM   #31
notanlines

I don't always speak highly of Wally World myself, but there two stores in Florida were the only two that had my size when we had our two blowouts, 2 hours apart. I might also add the young man at the first store told me to keep a sharp eye on tire number two on that side because "they very often blow in pairs." Yep, two hours later I had $9K damage. Using the phrase "a tire shop that knows what they are doing" might be a little harsh.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #32
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

canesfan;; Now you got me spending money There goes the adult beverage fund

Carlisle Radial Trail HD ST235/85R16 F at Walmart $94 out the door (mounting,balance,taxes) price in my area was $106, Walmart that does tires not close to me.

Called my local tire guy, which I have been dealing with for years and is also about 3 mile away, where I originally bought my 4 Carlisle Radial Trail RH ST235/85R16 F. He wants $115 out the door. I am big on purchasing local that is as long as the prices are competitive, usually the locals will if asked will come close to price matching. So based on my travel time, gas, and dedication to local vendors I am going local to get my spare upgraded. Yeap 5 Carlisles with tire Minder TPMS.

Okay canesfan your turn to anny up $$$$$$$$$

Added: forgot to mention local still found the RH tires are still out there in warehouses, concerned about their age I opted for the RH
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-15-2017, 09:12 AM   #33
bsmith0404

Just a thought on the 80 vs 85, if I'm not mistaken, LRG tires are an upgrade option when you order the trailer. If the factory will upgrade to an LRG, which is going to be an 85 series tires, I wouldn't be concerned about doing it myself.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:02 PM   #34
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Just a thought on the 80 vs 85, if I'm not mistaken, LRG tires are an upgrade option when you order the trailer. If the factory will upgrade to an LRG, which is going to be an 85 series tires, I wouldn't be concerned about doing it myself.
Thanks. Unfortunately this was 3+ years ago and there was no tire upgrade available, I specifically asked. I know they are putting LRG on some of them now, but what, if any, mods have they made to accommodate them? So I'm still "on the hump" of deciding.

I did just talk to the tire place again and asked about balancing the "lug centric" wheels and he said it was no problem.

I also asked if he could do anything with their price and told him about Wmart. He laughed and said that was cheaper than he buys them for and he wouldn't blame me for getting them from Wmart and he would still install them for the same price. They also do road service for Allstate and Good Sams so they deal with a lot of RVs being right off of I-95.

So I found my "place" to put them on, just need to decided if it's worth ~ $150 to buy them from them or Wmart.