Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2018, 03:53 PM   #1
Cracker

Driving Into Winter Weather

My wife and I would like to go South for a month or so this winter with our travel trailer. I don’t mind heading in to warm weather on the way south out of winter conditions - but, for some reason, the reverse has me concerned. i’m used to driving in the winter and, yes, I’ve even done my share of towing in severe winter storms. Perhaps it’s just age, but do any others share this feeling? I’d like to make the trip around early January, returning in February. I would re-winterize the trailer before heading back north (Maine) and stay in motels for the trip home.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:01 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

We've considered leaving here during Jan/Feb and staying somewhere warm for a month or so, returning in Mar/April. It's still "frozen and salty" here for our return. My concern is not the driving/towing, we can always "hole up somewhere warm" for a day or two. For me, the concerns I face are salt on the roads and what it will do to the Cougar's exposed metal from the time we get back until I can finally get it cleaned up, which would probably be sometime in May. A lot of rust can form in 6-8 weeks.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:46 PM   #3
Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We've considered leaving here during Jan/Feb and staying somewhere warm for a month or so, returning in Mar/April. It's still "frozen and salty" here for our return. My concern is not the driving/towing, we can always "hole up somewhere warm" for a day or two. For me, the concerns I face are salt on the roads and what it will do to the Cougar's exposed metal from the time we get back until I can finally get it cleaned up, which would probably be sometime in May. A lot of rust can form in 6-8 weeks.
I had not considered that problem but I’ve actually experienced it with a brand new enclosed car hauler when I drove to Ohio in January to pick up a ‘31 Model A. The chassis of that car hauler was almost destroyed by salt from the Pa and Ma turnpikes!
Old 11-09-2018, 02:23 AM   #4
JeLo

I'm in the same situation, leaving early december for the Florida keys and back late January. We are considering leaving our fiver somewhere in Pennsylvania and drive back in the spring to pick it up.

JL
JeLo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter