Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2018, 02:50 PM   #1
Hamlej

Fast track newbie

Just took delivery of a 2018 Montana 3820FK and we are pulling it with a 2017 Ford F-250 Turbo Diesel, SRW, shortbed with the Super Slider 5th wheel. With the kitchen fully stocked, all of our personal belongings in the trailer, full basement, portable generator in front storage, 80 gallons of fresh water and a full fuel tank, we headed for the Cat scale and found that we exceeded drive axle weight by 120 pounds. Wanted to start out with a heavy base weight and I must say I’m very pleased with the numbers. My wife and I retired last September and decided we would like to do a little traveling , so we started out with a used 21 ft Jayco moved up to a 33 ft Jayco and just made the big jump to the 5th wheel all in a years time. We reside in Prescott, Az and we will continue to use that as our home base. Since taking delivery we’ve traveled to Chicago and I’m amazed at how well this trailer pulls, both of our bumper pull Jaycos liked to sway in the wind even with the equalizer hitch. Pulling with a fifth wheel has eliminated my white knuckles and road fatigue. Looking forward to sharing our experience with all the members of this forum.
Hamlej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:36 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Congrats on your new purchase, and now you know why us fifth wheel owners are so happy as we travel down the highway. Enjoy, lots of good information and loads of great people here.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:53 AM   #3
DocP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlej View Post
...we started out with a used 21 ft Jayco moved up to a 33 ft Jayco and just made the big jump to the 5th wheel all in a years time...
Welcome to the forum! Been there, done that. I've made a promise to avoid the RV show in Cleveland this coming January; a promise that will probably be broken once again!
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:52 AM   #4
roadglide

Yup you rig is 2800 lbs pin weight and 13 k dry weight 5 slides very nice . I expect your around 25 k on gross weight but way over on vehicle GVWR of 10 K .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:49 AM   #5
Hamlej

Actually that 10k designation is for registration purposes. The important number are the axle weights that are mounted on the door frame decal. For my truck, front axle is 5200 and I’m at 4880, rear axle 6340 and I’m at 6460 so I’m 120 over on the rear. Total weight 23,480. This weight includes 80 gallons of fresh water that I wouldn’t normally carry so I’m sure I could shed 120 pounds to stay within truck capacity.
Hamlej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, rack