Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2018, 01:27 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

I've got a "six pack" of those tee shirts... Worn out most of them, thanks for reminding me I need to reorder a new supply !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:46 PM   #22
Local150

Lol love the shirt,, just make wider turns
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:17 PM   #23
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisjoe View Post

When I come home with the trailer, I have my wife standing there but rarely can hear what she's saying, nor can I see her because she doesn't stand where she can see the mirror. I do have a rear view mirror, and before I start backing I get out and place a 4' plastic bollard where I want the spare tire on the bumper to end up. Between the faint sounds, brief glimpses of arms, and the camera I can usually get it parked safely in a minute or two.

Are we sure you are talking about your DW and not mine?

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #24
Old Mustanger

As others have noted the 5r will react slower when backing, especially when trying to correct over turning. Compared to a bumper pull you will learn to start to straighten the truck earlier in the turn to prevent over turning. I switched from bumper pull to 5rs over 3 years ago and I still have to remind myself of this feature.
As far as the overall towing experience IMO you will find it much more pleasurable and not as tiring.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:55 PM   #25
mtofell

Your total length of truck + 32' 5th will be nearly identical to truck + 25' TT. As others have said the 5th is slower to react but still pretty similar. I found the learning curve to be quick and easy.

I'm always fascinated by the "team" backing approach. I have to say I do enjoy watching wives and husbands scream at each other while backing in The funny thing is in watching commercial truck drivers put their trucks at loading bays I have never seen one of their wives standing outside getting yelled at. I suppose just keep going with whatever works for you. I don't always have my wife with me and would hate to need a crutch to back my trailer up without hitting something. I'm a one man show. Just take your time and get out and reassess often when backing to your blind side if needed.

BTW.... OP, it's a Cummins, not a CumminGs Great trucks though

Have fun with the 5th. It's a great change. They tow a lot better and the backing thing is a very minor difference in the grand scheme.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:03 AM   #26
mazboy

just practice practice practice.

have a great person helping you back it up....NEVER do it alone!
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:18 AM   #27
Javi

I know that this isn't a 5th wheel, but I think this is about the best video I've ever seen on how to back a trailer...
Old 09-20-2018, 06:39 AM   #28
KSH

I've got it down to as science with my wife. She takes the kids for a walk and i back in the trailer. I get out and look 10 times, but it's better than the way it was with pointless instructions...
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:49 AM   #29
travelin texans

Saw a couple at Myrtle beach, he pulled the 5er up to their site, he got out from behind the wheel & his wife, all of 4' tall, got behind the wheel, he stood at the drivers side headlight & pointed right/left, neither ever spoke, she never looked in the mirrors, only at him & they nailed it 1st shot, these sites were 90 degree backins from a very narrow street, I was totally impressed. Asked the DW if we could do that, "oh hell no" was the response.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:54 AM   #30
Rex1vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuley View Post
Considering trading in the 25 foot Passport for a 32 foot 5th wheel and a new Cummings puller. For those of you who have made the move please give me some insight in regards to pulling a 5th wheel and getting it into the camp site in comparrison to a bumper pull.
Go to YouTube and search "How to back a fifth wheel trailer" and view a posting by 'LOVE YOUR RV.COM for an eight minute video. I would also suggest subscribing to their web site to see a lot of maintenance tips etc. Look at their archives for many points of interest.
Rex1vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:18 PM   #31
goducks

5th wheels cut the corners way more than a TT will. You have to be careful when maneuvering in tight areas. Always look in your mirrors to see the 5er tires.
When backing up a 5er reacts much more slowly than a TT does. It's much harder to re-correct when backing in a 5er. Because the pin is directly over the rear axle the re-correcting time is slower compared to a TT where the ball is 4+ feet behind the axle.
The stability out on the open road more than makes up for the shortfalls of a 5er.
No dealing with funky WDH setups.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:24 AM   #32
larryflew

Went from a 28 TT to a 37 5th wheel. Wish I would have started with a 5th wheel. Soooo much easier towing. Other than the mentioned reaction when backing and cornering with 5th wheel it is easier also. Just a few times and you will be used to reacting to the turns quicker.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:32 AM   #33
captjimmy

What works best for us, is using our cell phones. Mine is linked by bluetooth to our truck (2016 GMC Denali DRW). Whomever is doing the backing will call the others cell. That way, we're not screaming so that the other person (and other camper ) can hear us.
captjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:42 AM   #34
wiredgeorge

Ford has a new trailer backup option but you have to buy a new truck to get it. I think it is available for the F150/250 line. Since I can't afford a new truck, I found these guys:

https://www.towgo.com/

They don't currently have a product that works on a 5th wheel but they are actively working on one and I will be notified when it is ready for the market. It would be nice to not have a crowd standing around laughing and the truck overheating when I spend a half hour trying to back into a slot in a park!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:56 AM   #35
gerytb

Use a ohone

My wife and I use cell phones to talk through backing. Works great in my truck with hands free
gerytb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:07 AM   #36
dsttexas

For a variety of reasons my tow vehicles have been the long wheel base variety, crew cab and long bed, which makes backing in any trailer more difficult than a shorter wheelbase truck. Also a pain in the you know what just parking in any parking lot without a trailer. Something to consider in your choice of tow vehicle.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:11 AM   #37
md_procouple

Oh so my wife isn't the only one with strange hand / arm signals !!! and mine normally waits till I am just about on top of something before she starts screaming lol !!
md_procouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:08 AM   #38
James p

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuley View Post
Considering trading in the 25 foot Passport for a 32 foot 5th wheel and a new Cummings puller. For those of you who have made the move please give me some insight in regards to pulling a 5th wheel and getting it into the camp site in comparrison to a bumper pull.
You will find trailer responses to steering input in reverse are much less. Backing is harder.

Overall the 5ths road manners are SUPERIOR to a T/T
James p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:54 AM   #39
johnlewis

2x on Thomasbeau re walkie talkies, except I would recommend a good set. No more waving of arms, screaming, etc. Much less stress between partners when backing in.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #40
Blucaddy71

you and I have the same spotter

Tags
5th wheel