Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Philip Saran

Adding tank heaters??

The PO of my 2011 Springdale did not order the 4 seasons package,
I've talked with Keystone customer service and they say yes you can
order the needed parts to upgrade.

Has anyone done this or is it best to take it into a competent shop?

Open to comments & suggestions.
Philip Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
35mastr

Any real reason to add tank heaters considering the California climate?
35mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
KanTC

Hi Phil,

The Springdale line doesn't offer an optional *4 Season Pkg*, so it wouldn't have been available even as a PO.

One of our members (Geo) has offered excellent posts on adding after-market tank heaters and underbelly insulation --

His "tank heaters" install begins here:
http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4829

You can also check the "Modifications and Upgrades"... and... "Repairs & Maintenance" sections on the
forum for his, & other members, posts. I'm not certain, but others 'may' have also added tank heaters.

Hope this helps.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
geo

Terri -

Thank you for the kind words!

Philip -

I think I am the only soul crazy enough to tangle with the Underbelly to install tank heaters and Underbelly insulation. As far as I have learned, Keystone does not offer tank heaters as an option on any of their RVs. The Polar/etc./etc. package we have discussed in Repairs and basically amounts to a 2.5" duct feeding warmed furnace air to the dump valves. Definitely not tank heaters. I would guess your "upgrade" would consist of a fitting for the furnace for 2.5" duct, the aluminum duct itself, and two T boxes.

I do know that DRV does offer tank heaters and a second furnace as an upgrade to their higher end models. As far as I know, all DRV models have underbelly insulation.

I will add this, however. Since installing the additional insulation and limiting the amount of air transferred in and out of the underbelly via temperature changes, wind, etc., I have definitely seen a lot less humidity inside my Alpine! Where each week, my Eva-Dry 2200 would be full and the cut-off switch engaged, now I am only getting less than a third of the reservoir each week! This was an unexpected outcome!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Jorme

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Terri -

As far as I have learned, Keystone does not offer tank heaters as an option on any of their RVs.
The Polar/etc./etc. package we have discussed in Repairs and basically amounts to a 2.5" duct feeding warmed furnace air to the dump valves. Definitely not tank heaters. I would guess your "upgrade" would consist of a fitting for the furnace for 2.5" duct, the aluminum duct itself, and two T boxes.

I do know that DRV does offer tank heaters and a second furnace as an upgrade to their higher end models. As far as I know, all DRV models have underbelly insulation.

Ron
Lets not start this discussion again!!!!!!! I already proved your theory wrong!

https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l..._1572720_n.jpg
Jorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorme View Post
Lets not start this discussion again!!!!!!! I already proved your theory wrong!
Jorme -

You may be correct. But you lone single tank heater is the only one I could find here, in Good Sam, and Escapees. And it is an UltraHeat.

So, you ever replace that poor little shredded thing?

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 05-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
Jorme

Quote:
Jorme -

You may be correct. But you lone single tank heater is the only one I could find here, in Good Sam, and Escapees. And it is an UltraHeat.

So, you ever replace that poor little shredded thing?

Ron
I cleaned it up and used 3m spray adhesive and put it back together....

Old 05-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
geo

Quote:
I cleaned it up and used 3m spray adhesive and put it back together....
Did you test it? Put a small bag of crushed ice on the thermostat near the cord attachment. Put your other hand on the pad near the top (and the ice). See if the pad starts warming, the turn it off.

Robyne at Keystone hasn't heard of any tank heaters, but she sounds young. Your switch is definitely UltraHeat, but you seem to be the only one!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 05-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
Jorme

Quote:
Did you test it? Put a small bag of crushed ice on the thermostat near the cord attachment. Put your other hand on the pad near the top (and the ice). See if the pad starts warming, the turn it off.

Robyne at Keystone hasn't heard of any tank heaters, but she sounds young. Your switch is definitely UltraHeat, but you seem to be the only one!

Ron
Yah, already tested it.....It works. Honestly, can't ever rememeber using it though. Just doesnt get that cold here.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
geo

Quote:
Yah, already tested it.....It works. Honestly, can't ever rememeber using it though. Just doesnt get that cold here.
Jorme -

Next December! Meet at Donner Pass!!!!!!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 05-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #11
Jorme

Quote:
Jorme -

Next December! Meet at Donner Pass!!!!!!

Ron
I am typically up that way ever year the week between Christmas and New years. My wifes family is from Napa, and she and I lived in Reno for 6 years. I take that week to go back, go hunting with my college roommate and visit our old friends. Unfortunately, its not a trailer week though.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
chuck&gail

Ultraheat sells everything you need. Used their stuff on two TT's, easy to do, worked great. Hardest part is runninmg wiring. No more than a two beer job at most.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #13
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck&gail View Post
Ultraheat sells everything you need. Used their stuff on two TT's, easy to do, worked great. Hardest part is runninmg wiring. No more than a two beer job at most.
Chuck -

A little more complicated if you have a coroplast underbelly covering and decide to put in extra insulation. Turns into several six packs!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 06-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
Lluker

"A little more complicated if you have a coroplast underbelly covering and decide to put in extra insulation. "
Can anyone tell me if there is any insulation between the coroplast under the trailer and the floor. We have a 2008 Passport 285RLS and this is a question that is up for discussion here in our house at the moment.
Lluker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #15
geo

Lluker -

Though I do not have a Passport, I would bet that it is very similar to mine in this particular area. If you look at some of my posts on "Discussion of Polar,etc. Package" and the mod of installing tank heaters and insulation, you will probably find two small pieces of R-7 insulation beneath the Fresh Water and Black Water tanks. As far as insulating quality, it's very minimal. Use the "Search" option on the top bar.
Take about three of the screws out holding the coroplast - that will open it enough for a peek with a flashlight. If you have slides, just peek in the hole for the polished rod with a flashlight.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 06-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #16
rhagfo

My 05 Copper Canyon came from the factory with tank heaters, but it is not enclosed. That is a project for the end of summer the PO didn't see a need I guess.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #17
Lluker

One would wonder just what the reasoning is behind NOT enclosing a TT if it has a tank heater on board????? This is not the first time I have seen someone mentioning that they have a tank heater and the underside of the TT isn't enclosed.....
Lluker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #18
geo

Russ -

Did you purchase your 2005 Copper Canyon new or used? Are you sure that Keystone installed the tank heaters or the dealer? There are several of us who are curious. At this time, Keystone does not offer a "Tank Heater" option. And I know what Jorme will say, but we are wondering, if Keystone did offer this in the past, why not now?

Lluker - Actually, if you get on the UltraHeat website, they primarily discuss the use of tank heaters without additional insulation or coroplast. I can tell you from first-hand experience, if you do not have a coroplast underbelly cover, and you are not trying to add or work around insulation, tank heater installation would be a quick and easy mod. That's one thing that makes some of us wonder, did Keystone install the tank heaters or did the dealer? Jorme, I know, but have you considered that your RV might have originally been at a northern (WA or OR) dealership, that tank heater applied, and then might have been traded dealership-wise down south? Happens with autos all the time.

If you looked at my "control" installation, would might think my tank heaters were factory installed. But if you looked in the underbelly at the quantity and quality of insulation, you would know I did it.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 06-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #19
rhagfo

Geo, bought it used this spring, we purchased through CW in Woodvillage, OR, but picked it up at the CW in Burlington, WA it was sold new from dealer in Furndale, WA, so was very close to the Canadain border. I requested a build sheet from Keystone, and was provided with a list of installed options from the factory, it included the tank heaters.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:05 AM   #20
geo

Russ -

I find this very interesting and curious. However, you may also have provided the answer! I know Keystone has some manufacturing in the Northwest, and there has been mention on the Forum of differences between the "east built" and "west built" RVs. You and Jorme probably have "west built" units.

I would say, consider yourselves very lucky! For those of us who didn't have a tank heater option, and want to winter camp or travel to "winter places", we have few options. There's only a couple of us, Wolfwalker and me that I know of, who are crazy enough to tackle pulling the coroplast and installing tank heaters! But as "we" have mentioned before, presently it does not appear that Keystone offers tank heaters. Wish they would!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch