Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2018, 07:40 PM   #11
linux3

I have 2 friends well, actually 2 couples, that have traded their motor homes of various size and switched to trailers and pickup trucks.
My truck is also my daily driver it's not a very expensive vehicle sitting waiting for our next outing.
My wife and I did a bit over 9,000 miles pulling our 195RB last year and will do about the same this year.
With a 1500 truck and medium tow package I get around the same mileage as you and a very comfortable towing experience.

Aint the 195RB great? Lots of storage, easy to pull and very well built. I should replace the OEM tires I guess. Just haven't figured out the logistics.

2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 LT
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:15 AM   #12
FlyingAroundRV

I'm also going to reccommend the truck/trailer combo.
Last year the DW and I rented a class C with a view to buying one seconhand from the renting agency. We loved it, but I found it too small and having to drive it for touring wasn't so great. So we decided to go the truck/trailer way.
We are just nearing the end of our first 3 month trip with it and we have NO complaints. In the three months we have covered 10,000 miles and seen and done a lot of amazing things.

FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:03 AM   #13
mazboy

Did I miss what kinda of trailer you pulled? Just curious about what size trailer.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:24 AM   #14
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
Did I miss what kinda of trailer you pulled? Just curious about what size trailer.
You did. It's in the subject line, a 195RB.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:11 AM   #15
Sunnysidebeach

We have owned everything from a tent, pop up, 30 FT Airstream Land Yacht, 30 ft Rexhall American Clipper Class A and now a 28 RLS Keystone travel trailer.

Overall, we have enjoyed a travel trailer the best. We will trade the current travel trailer for a 5th wheel before we retire, but the idea of having a portable home, with more space is better than the motor coast idea.
Sunnysidebeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:20 AM   #16
TimL

I again want to thank everyone for your perspective on motorhomes vs trailers. You all have helped me get over the desire to get a new RV. As has been mentioned the Passport 195RB is a great couples trailer. About the only improvement I would like to make and most likely will make is to remove the dinette and replace it with either a set of comfortable chairs or a reclining love seat of some sort. We don't use the storage under the dinette sears, so nothing is lost their.

We are however, in the process of planning a 2 month or so trip to New Zealand where we will rent a motorhome very similar to a WBO View 24V. I have long been wanting to go to NZ as my Dad said "It is the most beautiful place on earth". Plus, I did follow Heath & Alyssa Padget on their NZ adventure which got me even more excited.https://heathandalyssa.com/?s=new+zealand

Nevertheless, The Passport 195 will remain in our life with the possibility of getting a bigger tow vehicle, as ultimately, that was where my concerns boiled down to. The Tacoma works based on the "Smart Weigh" analysis, but it is max'd out with little or no safety margin.
TimL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:11 AM   #17
Steve/

There are so many ways to go when monitoring batteries.
I use the DVM panel approach. I mounted this and a push button switch in the bathroom above the 4 led indicating lights panel for voltage/tanks that came with the trailer, I just check my battery in the morning when I am pondering the world.

Mini Voltmeter Five 0.36" Digital Voltage Monitor DC 0-4.3000V-33.000V Volt Tester Panel Meter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-23-2018, 09:12 AM   #18
linux3

My wife bought a couple of 12" diameter round pillows about as long as the couch is wide. A strip of valcro hook part was sewn to the bottom and placed at each end of the couch. Makes a nice arm / head rest and together with an ottoman makes a nice recliner.
We store the ottoman next to the couch on the right side, when looking at the couch. The top comes off the ottoman and the inside is our library.
We do use the under seat storage, I like the idea of removing the table but where would I put my wine and tools and such.
Oh well.

Tags
195rb, campground, passport, tow, towing