Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
MamaBear58

Post New member check in

My husband and I are brand new to RV'ing, other than owning a Westie a few years ago for (crowded) camping.
We live on Vancouver Island and have so many places to visit I have convinced hubby to give 5th wheeling a try. We own a lovely 2011 Ford F150 but we realize it will not tow what we want, so we are looking at trade ins to a F350 diesel. One RV dealer told my husband it was false economy to think that a diesel will save us much money. That is my first question for the forum on fuel.

My second question to those who have owned either a Cougar 5th wheel (we're looking at a 2019 29RKS) or those that have owned a Reflection by Grand Design, (the 2019 28BH). Any opinions or experiences with previous model years of these two different makes would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much.
MamaBear58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:42 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Fuel savings. Depends on what kind of mileage your going to get and the cost per liter. I can say from years of experience that towing any large fifth wheel, a diesel truck is the way to go.

We don’t sell Keystone trailers at my dealership, but we do sell Grand Design. The reflection is a very nice unit, and built well. They PDI with few issues so take it for what it’s worth. GD is now owned by Winnebago and I can’t say I’ve seen any significant drop in quality.

Good luck in your decision, and even if you do buy the reflection, your welcome here.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:43 PM   #3
14george

Welcome to the fourm congrats from Wv
Old 10-14-2018, 04:30 PM   #4
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear58 View Post
My husband and I are brand new to RV'ing, other than owning a Westie a few years ago for (crowded) camping.
We live on Vancouver Island and have so many places to visit I have convinced hubby to give 5th wheeling a try. We own a lovely 2011 Ford F150 but we realize it will not tow what we want, so we are looking at trade ins to a F350 diesel. One RV dealer told my husband it was false economy to think that a diesel will save us much money. That is my first question for the forum on fuel.

My second question to those who have owned either a Cougar 5th wheel (we're looking at a 2019 29RKS) or those that have owned a Reflection by Grand Design, (the 2019 28BH). Any opinions or experiences with previous model years of these two different makes would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much.
Welcome to the forum from Radium Hot Springs BC.
Just got back from an enjoyable month on the Island at Nanaimo.
Driving around the Island a Gasser would pull your 5er but if you have ever been over the Coquihalla you will NEED a diesel.JMO YMMV

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:17 PM   #5
travelin texans

IMHO, any 5er at or near 10k lbs you need a diesel. The difference in fuel mileage or fuel cost will be only slightly different, but the towing ability of the diesel far exceeds any gasser. With the tow/haul & exhaust brake on the diesel it's almost effortless to tow a big 5er, flatlands or mountains. Not to mention with diesel you can pull into any truck stop to refuel, they don't have gas in the truck lanes.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags