Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2018, 06:55 AM   #1
swiftb

Ready to Buy 2019 30RLS

Hello to all from So. Cal. My wife and I are looking at a new 2019 30RLS 5th wheel. Cougar Half Ton. New to Keystone family but we are lifelong traveling nomads. Currently towing a 33 ft travel trailer for 8 years and have decided to move to a 5th wheel. We both are retired and travel the country from April to Oct most years. Looking forward to learning all we can about the 30RLS and will be searching the forum for tips and tricks. HELLO again!

swiftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:59 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Keep in mind that the Cougar Half Ton series is sort of a marketing name thing... Most 1/2 ton pickups are kind of unhappy and overloaded pulling a 10K lb plus 5ver. The one you are looking at is about 9K dry so make sure you have enough truck otherwise you will be looking at uncomfortable and possibly unsafe towing. If you have enough truck, looks like a great floor plan and a nice trailer! Make sure you check every little thing out at the dealer before driving out of the lot as fixing stuff is a lot easier if you catch it when you walk through.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:41 PM   #3
swiftb

Smile Electric Rear Stabilizer Jacks

Thanks for the feedback wiredgeorge, appreciate it.
We like the 30RLS because of the floorplan, length and amenities not the "Half Ton" aspect of the unit.

Our current TV is a 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax and we are looking to soon buy a 2018 or 2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty Diesel. Both of which have enough/plenty of payload/towing capacities.

In addition, we would like some feedback/advice on adding the "Electric Rear Stabilizer Jacks" to our order as well as the "Electric 4 Point Leveling System".

Is there a REAL benefit to adding the Stabilizer Jacks when having the Leveling System?

The Leveling System is a MUST for us, but not sure of adding the stab jacks.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

swiftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:41 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

I don't have the leveling system so can't help. Every 5th wheel has stabilizing jacks. These jacks don't have enough strength to level the trailer as they are just scissor jacks but keep the trailer from rocking or moving when you walk inside. Some folks have electric stabilizing jacks (mine use a hand crank) and I think this feature is kind of unnecessary; you could use a cordless drill with proper size bit to do the same if you didn't feel like cranking.

I have seen threads where folks have reported issues with the auto leveling system so search on that. A 5th wheel can be a bit of a pain to level when parked on a pad that is really off badly so the auto level system might be a nice feature. I parked my 5ver at one park where I had to pull one side of the camper up on 3 or 4 inches of chocks to get fairly level. You might want to start a separate thread with this question specifically to find answers.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:28 AM   #5
5J's

Good luck on your purchase. Welcome to the forum from SE Texas.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote