Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #1
Ghornet54

Keystone Passport Tank Issue

I have a new 2019 Keystone Passport and took it out this weekend. We pulled into the campsite later than usual so I didn't hook up the sewer hose only the electric and water. The next day I went to hook up the hose and both valves were open. Black water and gray water went everywhere. I am telling this a a precaution to everyone who buys a new TT. CHECK THE VALVES BEFORE YOU REMOVE THE COVER. After cleaning up, I hooked up the hoses.

I noticed when I pulled the handle marked gray tank, it was the black water tank and when I pulled the handle marked black tank, it was the gray water. I hope they are hooked up correct. I will check tomorrow. This is after I had to repair the toilet before use. The seal was missing and I found it in the toilet just laying loose. I called the dealer about the seal and was told that not all toilets have the seal, just use the toilet. I noticed my toilet wasn't holding water.

What fun!
Ghornet54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

You need to be face to face with the management of whoever sold you the trailer...especially the person that said "some don't come with seals - just use it". They got your money and booted you to the curb....don't accept that.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:44 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!

Unfortunately Danny is telling you the sad truth. These kind of dealers are more common that one would think. Mis labeled tank valves is common, but I don’t know of any toilet that doesn’t have a seal on the bowl.

We do fill all tanks with water, and drain leaving the valves open until the walk through so it’s possible the person doing the walk wasn’t really qualified.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:21 PM   #4
Ghornet54

Thanks guys. I'm not shy about complaining when required! I wanted the toilet repaired before it was used, so I talked to the dealer, but didn't take the TT with me. He just told me that not all toilets have that seal. I looked into the toilet and saw a rubber ring. It was easy to replace! There are other minor issues and flaws with the unit, but all in all we are very happy with it. It is a 2920BH. The granddaughters love the back bunks and the ability to close the door!
Old 12-30-2018, 07:31 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Main thing is for you to be happy and enjoy your new investment.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:17 PM   #6
Tbos

I was helping a family that just bought a new TT and they had the same issue. They had just picked it up. Fortunately it was just grey water. It seems like something that some dealers don’t bother to show new owners.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:30 PM   #7
Ghornet54

I found out today that the valves were just miss labeled! I hooked a hose to the clean out and opened the black water valve and the water poured out the outlet. I was very happy about it. I will just relabel the valve.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:00 PM   #8
kjohn

Our 2107 21RBS had the labels backwards, too.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:07 PM   #9
Wyldfire

Is really that hard to tell no labels needed. Big pipe is black water and small is grey. Haven't been led wrong with that logic. In several trailers.p
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:40 PM   #10
Tbos

The Passports I had only had one outlet visible. The valves and tanks were hidden.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:08 AM   #11
C.LeeNick

The tanks on our 2019 Passport were mislabeled as well. Back when the weather was warmer, I was able to peel them off and stick them in the right places. So far, they're still there.
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:14 PM   #12
BadmanRick

Number one I am very Anal about thoroughly checking every switch, faucet, and moving part before taking my new RV home. Just a word to the wise.
If this is a new trailer, bring it back to dealer and CALL KEYSTONE ASAP BEFORE YOU BRING IT BACK. This way the dealer will know you are not satisfied with his service. If you have a problem with the dealer call an attorney. This stuff has got to stop.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:02 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadmanRick View Post
Number one I am very Anal about thoroughly checking every switch, faucet, and moving part before taking my new RV home. Just a word to the wise.
If this is a new trailer, bring it back to dealer and CALL KEYSTONE ASAP BEFORE YOU BRING IT BACK. This way the dealer will know you are not satisfied with his service. If you have a problem with the dealer call an attorney. This stuff has got to stop.
IMHO your advice is not only over the top, it's terrible advice. Hiring an attorney because a decal is not in the correct location??? Really ???

Following your advice will almost guarantee that your trailer is parked on the dealer's back lot awaiting instructions from Keystone's attorney after negotiations with your attorney. Those types of "posturing negotiations" don't occur in a reasonable time frame. If you're willing to let your trailer sit through the next camping season, go for it. For most of us, either moving the decals and/or asking the dealer to do it next time it's in for service is a reasonable fix. hiring an attorney and making demands of Keystone "so the dealer knows you're not satisfied" Over the top and unwarranted for a decal placement issue that the OP has already fixed himself.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:02 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
IMHO your advice is not only over the top, it's terrible advice. Hiring an attorney because a decal is not in the correct location??? Really ???

Following your advice will almost guarantee that your trailer is parked on the dealer's back lot awaiting instructions from Keystone's attorney after negotiations with your attorney. Those types of "posturing negotiations" don't occur in a reasonable time frame. If you're willing to let your trailer sit through the next camping season, go for it. For most of us, either moving the decals and/or asking the dealer to do it next time it's in for service is a reasonable fix. hiring an attorney and making demands of Keystone "so the dealer knows you're not satisfied" Over the top and unwarranted for a decal placement issue that the OP has already fixed himself.

Yup!! Ask me how I know.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:14 PM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadmanRick View Post
This recommendation would most likely get you laughed out of any reputable attorneys office and Keystone telling you to contact your dealer. As John stated, if you want your camper tied up for a year then go for it and I would have to add that if you did find an attorney willing to take your money for such a frivolous suite then you would be paying a much greater price than it would cost to switch the labels. You should always start with the dealer and the last stop for conflict resolution should be an attorney. Most successful litigation is based on proving irreparable damages. Are you going to sue for a lable worth less than a dollar? JMHO
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:16 PM   #16
travelin texans

If that $1 misplaced label could/did cause bodily injury then absolutely contact an attorney, but the worst it could do is empty the wrong tank first & not likely you'd even get any on your hands.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, passport, tank