Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2019, 01:29 PM   #1
grey ghost

Keystone High Country 330RL

We are looking at this(High Country 330RL) for our Last Forever to travel the USA unit. Love the double sinks in the bathroom, extra counter space on both sides of the stove, large king bed, auto leveling is also great. I think this is the one, but now the questions.

We NEVER pull full of water, only a bit to flush the toilet. Really don't load much more than maybe 1500 to 2000 lbs of extra camping stuff and will change out the tires to Michelin or Bridgestones so the question is:

Can I safely pull and stop with a 2012 F-250 superduty 2 wheel drive 6.2 gaser? I've run the figures and it looks like I can if I never run full of water and not over load the truck with water and wood and stuff like that. Just wondering what others think?
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:24 PM   #2
Tbos

What is the payload on your truck. How much of that payload will be used by the two of you and misc stuff in the truck and truck bed? What do you figure the pin weight will be when loaded? If you publish all your numbers those in the know will let you know. Travel safely.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:57 PM   #3
SummitPond

I've got a 2012 Lariat F250 crew cab long bed with a 3.73 rear end. My curb weight is 6,951 #.

The stated maximum trailer weight to pull (from the 2012 Ford Tow Guide) is 12,400 #. If I did the math right, the trailer you identified has a GVWR of 14,260 #. You may never come close to fully loading the trailer up, but even empty and without a 5th wheel hitch that leaves less than 10% margin (using my truck).

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:54 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post
We are looking at this(High Country 330RL) for our Last Forever to travel the USA unit. Love the double sinks in the bathroom, extra counter space on both sides of the stove, large king bed, auto leveling is also great. I think this is the one, but now the questions.

We NEVER pull full of water, only a bit to flush the toilet. Really don't load much more than maybe 1500 to 2000 lbs of extra camping stuff and will change out the tires to Michelin or Bridgestones so the question is:

Can I safely pull and stop with a 2012 F-250 superduty 2 wheel drive 6.2 gaser? I've run the figures and it looks like I can if I never run full of water and not over load the truck with water and wood and stuff like that. Just wondering what others think?

You need to give the specs for your truck. I think it is highly doubtful that your truck is going to handle that 5th wheel. Dry pin alone is 2255#. Fully loaded....I know you said you are going to "travel light".....with your "last forever to travel the USA" RV????? Not going to happen - fully loaded the pin will push 3000 lbs. Then everything, and it WILL be everything, you will want as you travel the USA - trust me, I see it EVERY day. Hopefully you won't be the guy with the 4 kayaks hanging off the roof and sides as you wobble in with the bumper 2" off the pavement.

It sounds like you are very excited at the prospect. Your truck will limit you to something much smaller, and lighter, than what you have looked at IMO. I think you'll want to be realistic and either go lighter/smaller on the trailer, or, look for that dually if you want to tow stuff in the 15k+ range. It's out there.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:28 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

None of us are "fortune tellers" but I'd "forsee a new truck" in your future if you try towing that trailer. Chances are, if it's a "forever trailer" you'll want to take some extended trips, maybe to Alaska, or to Florida for the winter? What about when the DW decides that a washer/dryer would be much nicer than the Laundromat? Have you considered a "electric/water COE campsite" for a week? One where there's no dump station because it is closed? How are you going to tow with full holding tanks to the next closest dump station? Or, if you do decide to head to Alaska, where are you going to put the recommended two spares for the trailer and the extra spare for the truck? What about a generator to tag along on that trip? As for Florida, have you considered the extra stuff you'll need for a extended stay?

Those are just a few of the "forever trailer" ambitions that will get in the way of a "too small truck in a never tow heavy" environment.

If you're "heart set" on that trailer, I think you really need to seriously consider at least a 1 ton tow vehicle and with the GVW, probably a diesel. If you're considering full timing or extended travel, possibly a DRW truck.

ADDED: The empty weight of your truck is probably "around 6900 pounds" Add 300 for passengers, 150 for a fifth wheel hitch and you're looking at roughly 7350 for the truck. The trailer "EMPTY" weighs 11,367. Add 60 lbs of propane, a single battery (40) and you're at 11,477 BEFORE you put any food, clothing, bedding, gear in the trailer.

The maximum GCWR for that truck is 19,000. 7350+11477=18827. You're 173 pounds good. So, essentially, if you put a pound of salami and a loaf of bread in the trailer, you'll be "dangerously close" to overloading your maximum combined weight restriction. There is simply no way to put normal clothing, cooking equipment, camping gear, food, and certainly forget the 300 pounds for a washer/dryer combination !!!! Now as for that generator, firewood, 1/4 tank of fresh water for flushing on the road, a spare tire, tools.... I suppose you get the idea ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:04 AM   #6
Gary4

I personally believe that you will want a F350 to be safe. If you get the 6.7 you will have extra braking from the engine brake. The stability driving will be increased significantly.
Gary4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:15 AM   #7
gearhead

Keystone holds some responsibility for these issues. They were, and still may be, advertising the Montana High Country as 3/4 ton towable.
My experience...our HC is the smallest made. I overloaded payload of a F350 SRW, yeah Ford one ton, crew cab, diesel, 4X4, Lariat. It had a payload of 3267#. So just blindly upgrading to 350 SRW may not gain you much ground. I bought the truck when we had a Cougar XLite and it was fine, but upgrading to the Montana HC was too much for it. You can't base the trailer weights based on the manufacturers advertising. The weight of the fresh water will have only a minor effect on pin weight. Because I was overloaded I thought travelling with minimal water would help. It doesn't. I filled the water tank and weighed the truck and trailer. Then drained the water tank at the truck stop and ran it back over the same scale. Maybe 40# difference on the pin.
I think you have 2 choices. Buy an expensive truck, or buy a bumper pull trailer.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #8
grey ghost

Well, darn #$%&@#!! Guess I need a new and much bigger truck if I go with the Montana HC, which we love a whole bunch. Thanks for everyone's advise and thoughts plus recommendations, really appreciate it, although disappointed. I thought I would need a bigger truck but never hurts to get someone else's opinion. Guess we will either get a bigger truck or review the cougar which we like also. Again, thanks to everyone.
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:11 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Good luck on your choice(s). Keep in mind as you think the options over that you want this to be your last, forever RV to travel the country with. As you do that you will go to all kinds of places that offer all kinds of things to do - you will want to be able to carry the things you need to enjoy them so going "light" with either the truck or the trailer will limit you greatly.

You may not carry firewood, but as you travel the country you WILL experience varying temps/climates so you will need to carry a full compliment of clothing for all seasons; heavy shirts, coats, boots, tennis shoes, flip flops etc. - the gamut. The more time you spend in the RV you will find it more difficult to not carry the InstaPot, rice cooker, slow cooker, bbq pit (or 2), toaster oven, lots of cookware, various forms of entertainment, the bicycles, maybe a generator, all kinds of tools, air compressor(s), wood blocks, cooking utensils/spices (I have as many spices in the RV as I have in our main house), etc. etc. - the list is endless. Just weigh all those things as you try to determine what it is that fits your needs, and again, good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #10
MarkEHansen

Yes, that's a tough call to make. I know - I've done it myself. I don't like to think about how much money we lost on the trade-in of our 2018 GMC Yukon (1/2-ton) vehicle - it was less than a year old. Once we decided we needed a bigger vehicle, we just did what was necessary to get there and are not looking back.

Congratulations on your decision. We feel so much better knowing that we are not overloading our tow vehicle and after a while, the financial hardship this caused will be forgotten anyway (I hope)
Old 02-12-2019, 04:32 PM   #11
Frank G

Under loaded or over loaded you will never be happy with that 6.2 gasser and the HC.

Look over your options and choose wisely.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:40 AM   #12
MidMOTraveler

Go with a 1 ton dually diesel and don’t look back!
You’ll love it.
Note I not brand specific that a whole ‘nother box of worms!
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:36 PM   #13
markjamestx

I see you haven't camped in Arkansas. You should try it, we have 30+ National and State Parks and with the America Beautiful Senior Pass you can get a full hookup campsite for $15 to $20. Try Mount Magazine and Queen Wilhelmina State Parks and Buffalo River National Park. Lake Quachita and Lake Catherine Parks are great and near Hot Springs. Great places and beautiful.
2021 GMC SIERRA SLT 2500 HD

markjamestx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:29 AM   #14
goducks

We have a dealer south of us that has an HC 305 2018 leftover with a killer price. I have an 18 2500 6.4, 4.10 gears and 2106 lbs for payload. I've though hard about it but in the end I don't think I want that much weight behind me. I currently tow 9300+/- lbs and being in Oregon have hills and mtns everywhere. The yellow sticker on the HC says 10,630, we load about 1500 lbs so I'd be at 12,130 lbs. Even though I have a tow rating of 17,400 lbs there's no way I want drag 12,000 lbs in the mtns with a gasser. I towed my same 5er with a 12 Cummins for 6 seasons and there's a big difference in towing between a diesel and a gaser.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:22 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjamestx View Post
I see you haven't camped in Arkansas. You should try it, we have 30+ National and State Parks and with the America Beautiful Senior Pass you can get a full hookup campsite for $15 to $20. Try Mount Magazine and Queen Wilhelmina State Parks and Buffalo River National Park. Lake Quachita and Lake Catherine Parks are great and near Hot Springs. Great places and beautiful.
Mark,

Are you saying that Arkansas State Park system honors half price camping if you have the America The Beautiful senior pass? If so, that's great, but I wasn't aware that any state park system honored the federal pass program. Do you have any references I can go to and see how to use that discount in the state park system???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:53 AM   #16
markjamestx

Yes, a hand full of States do accept the Senior Pass. Arkansas and Louisiana State Parks, plus Ohio I think, do for sure. Texas doesn't. The other States we have stayed in were private parks. When you reserve through ReserveAmerica.com you will not see a place to use the Pass and you will not get the discount. But when you check in at the Ranger office they make the adjustment. Be sure when you make the reservation to only pay the minimum one-night, then you get the discount when you check-in. They adjust the bill if for one night and for the entire multi-day stay. If you go to the Senior Pass website, the States are listed but there isn't very many. Of course, all National Parks do accept it.
2021 GMC SIERRA SLT 2500 HD

markjamestx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone