Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
hankpage
Site Team

Thumbs down Winegard SensarPro signal meter

I fell for all the hipe about ease of tuning in channels with the new Winegard SensarPro antenna booster and signal meter. Here are some photos of the install and some of the short-comings that I found it to have. First off ... the instructions are totally incomplete on how to install and mostly how to operate it.
Original setup

Old booster removed

The new booster .. note there is no F connector on the front of the plate for TV1 ... thus the cable to TV1 temporarily comes through a hole in the wall from the back of the plate. No mention of this in instructions anywhere

MORE TO FOLLOW
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Looks good and clearly shows Park Cable or Antenna

Now the fun begins ... Channels only go from 2-51 ?? what about all the channels above that??? It may help a little in tuning in because the signal meter shows change in strength as you move antenna and as I said the instructions on operation are terrible. Time will tell if I can figure this out and if it really is an improvement.

I still have to get a wall plate with just a female F connector to complete the install. At this point I would not recommend this product, but I will give it a chance. Hank
Old 06-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
Brooklinite

The 'meter' functionality may be a bit redundant as most newer TV's can tell you your signal strength. So the question is....is it a more effective booster than the original?
Brooklinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
azlee56

Hank, on the old booster can you tell me which cable is what. I tried to see on mine and identify them, but wasn't successful because I had to stand behind the swing out door in the bedroom to see back in there. I was trying to figure out what was the cable, what went to the basement (man's cave), etc.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Brooklynite, No, the booster is the same 10 db amp but it is adjustable. The meter will measure signal strength changes while you turn your antenna and even offers a changing audible signal if you cannot see the meter or the tv from the antenna control. (this is the setup in my Cougar) Most tvs you must rescan in order to see a change in signal strength and takes a lot of time. The audible signal is one plus I have found. Also the scan feature gives the signal of all channels in the area before aiming ... a plus with UHF channels that require more precise aiming.
I did not mind loosing the 12v outlet but not even mentioning the missing external F connector or offering an option disappoints me. I clearly saw there was no connector in the way it was packaged but assumed (shame on me) it was in the box somewhere or there would be some mention of what to do or buy in the instructions. Is it obvious that I am a little bent out of shape with this oversight on Wingard's part, Hank
Old 06-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlee56 View Post
Hank, on the old booster can you tell me which cable is what. I tried to see on mine and identify them, but wasn't successful because I had to stand behind the swing out door in the bedroom to see back in there. I was trying to figure out what was the cable, what went to the basement (man's cave), etc.
There is no direct connection to the "Man cave" tv. There is a splitter in the cable for tv#2. The connections are different before 2010 or after but looking from the back the far right F connector is for tv#2 on both models. Hope this helps. I have no idea where the splitter is. Hank

The connections are from left to right : Antenna - Cable - tv#2 .... tv#1 is on the front

Maybe this will help

Old 06-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
azlee56

thanks. I am going to print this and have it with me when I squeeze back in there.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

On after 2010 models the ground is in a different location.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #9
Roberson4

In our 5er the TV furtherest away (outdoor kitchen) from the amp does not receive near as many channels as the TV's closer to the amp.

I am wondering if I purchase one of these and install in the original location (in bedroom where antenna crank/adjustment is). Then installed the old amp, (would have to fish some 12v power for it from somewhere), behind the outdoor kitchen TV would its reception improve....

Anyone know if this would/could hurt either one of the amps? I am thinking the new SensarPro would not be affected at all, but some amount of amplification could be going into the old one I moved to the outdoor kitchen.

I guess my first test should be to move the outdoor kitchen TV and connect it directly to the amp in the bedroom now, and see if the reception actually improves, or if it is a cheap crappy TV.

The missing F connector on the front seems like a "wow that was stupid" oversight on the designers part.

BTW Can you turn the SensarPro off or is it always on?
Nevermind on the BTW. Watching the interactive guide I see selecting "Park Cable" turns the amp off. http://www.winegard.com/sensarpro/

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2001 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch
Had
2008 Hornet Retreat 38BHDS (Good camper)
2006 Terry 320DBHS (POS)
Roberson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:50 AM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberson4 View Post

I am wondering if I purchase one of these and install in the original location (in bedroom where antenna crank/adjustment is). Then installed the old amp, (would have to fish some 12v power for it from somewhere), behind the outdoor kitchen TV would its reception improve....

Anyone know if this would/could hurt either one of the amps? I am thinking the new SensarPro would not be affected at all, but some amount of amplification could be going into the old one I moved to the outdoor kitchen.
The new amp is adjustable so it should not be a problem. Stick home antennas usually have a pre-amp on the mast and then another amp at each tv if needed. So I guess it should be the same. The amps will also increase any interference so you don't want to over amplify signals. What you said about testing the tv inside is a good idea but also make sure all connections are clean and tight.