Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2018, 11:14 AM   #1
delanop

MHC Model 305RL Ceiling adhesive

We purchased a 2018 MHC Model 305RL in May 2017. In November we noticed the adhesive behind the ceiling panels had bleed through and is visible all across the ceiling. We took the unit back to Mike Thompson RV and have found a 3rd party that can air-brush the ceiling. The repair cost is estimated at $600. Keystone has refused any repairs for this. Stating it is cosmetic. Has anyone experienced this problem. Any suggestions as to how to move forward with a repair.
delanop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Without seeing pictures of what you're describing, are you talking about "a couple of places where it's discolored" or are you talking about "areas of the ceiling are discolored" or do you mean, from stem to stern, there are nasty orange spots showing through the ceiling panels"...

Keystone uses a "latex caulking material" (water soluable) to cover the nail pin holes in the ceiling. Those pins are steel and sometimes rust when exposed to condensation. Once they start rusting, the "orange stain" will bleed through the latex caulk and stain the molding strips. Sometimes a mixture of water and Clorox sprayed on those areas will remove the stain.

Is it possible that what you're seeing is similar to this? If so, possibly the Clorox mix will work for you?

If it were me, I'd be reluctant to "air brush" a ceiling for $600 when a roller and a gallon of paint will do the same thing for $30 and a couple hours of my time.....

Has the dealer "given up on Keystone" or is your service manager still working on a solution for you?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:13 PM   #3
delanop

The problem is from stem to stern. Not the caulking material. The glue did not show up until after 4 to 5 months after purchase. I was very reluctant to the service center suggestion of airbrushing. Not just the cost, but not being assured the glue would not eventually bleed through the airbrushing. I am not opposed to rolling on a sealer and then paint. I am curious if others have seen this in their trailers.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #4
delanop

Also, dealer has given up on Keystone warranty path and their only suggestion is I use the 3rd party to airbrush the ceiling.

Tags
mod