Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2018, 09:33 AM   #1
popsshopga

Angry Springdale 36' BRAKES

So there we were coming back from a trip to TN when the "overload" light came on on my brake controller upon light braking. Being 25 miles from home we kept going. Trouble didn't go away. Heard some noise coming from the driver's side when backing into our slot at home. Decided to take a look.

Upon removing a wheel and drum, nothing but parts came out ! ! ! The brake assembly had been destroyed. Checked the other wheel and the same thing happened. Mind you, there is only 8,000 on the trailer. It has been almost a month and it is still broken because my local TowPro folks can not get the parts. It seems that my trailer has a 4400 lb Dexter axel and has a different mounting bolt dimension that standard axels. Even with the part number of the axel, Keystone can't help - something about they can't sell the parts.

Wouldn't you think that the manufacturer could help with their oem equipment blowing up?

Do I sound frustrated? You bet. The trailer has now been on the blocks a month and we can't use it. Anyone out there have any suggestions?????? Keystone - how about you? Trailer is only a year and half old.

(Just to be on the safe side, I checked the passenger side and they are fine.)

Fred
popsshopga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:48 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsshopga View Post
So there we were coming back from a trip to TN when the "overload" light came on on my brake controller upon light braking. Being 25 miles from home we kept going. Trouble didn't go away. Heard some noise coming from the driver's side when backing into our slot at home. Decided to take a look.

Upon removing a wheel and drum, nothing but parts came out ! ! ! The brake assembly had been destroyed. Checked the other wheel and the same thing happened. Mind you, there is only 8,000 on the trailer. It has been almost a month and it is still broken because my local TowPro folks can not get the parts. It seems that my trailer has a 4400 lb Dexter axel and has a different mounting bolt dimension that standard axels. Even with the part number of the axel, Keystone can't help - something about they can't sell the parts.

Wouldn't you think that the manufacturer could help with their oem equipment blowing up?

Do I sound frustrated? You bet. The trailer has now been on the blocks a month and we can't use it. Anyone out there have any suggestions?????? Keystone - how about you? Trailer is only a year and half old.

(Just to be on the safe side, I checked the passenger side and they are fine.)

Fred
Just as a reminder (check the disclaimer at the bottom of every forum webpage) Keystone RV Company is not associated with this forum and the company does not monitor or participate in the discussions that occur here.
ADDED: If you're trying to contact Keystone RV Company, you need to do so either via their website/email or on the phone. You can't contact them here.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:15 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

Phone dexter with your VIN in hand they will tell you the exact parts you have and likely sell you or tell you who has them. Have Dexter email you a complete part list of your trailer axle, brakes etc. for future needs. I did and believe it even lists the bearings.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:13 PM   #4
popsshopga

John - wasn't trying to contact Keystone - just trying to get information to help fix trailer.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:14 PM   #5
popsshopga

Ken - really appreciate the information. Thanks
Old 09-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsshopga View Post
John - wasn't trying to contact Keystone - just trying to get information to help fix trailer.
Just making sure that you don't rely on this forum to be a conduit to Keystone RV Company. We've had more than a few members who were "upset by the lack of response" from Keystone that they received here. So long as you are "in the know" and realize they don't respond here, no problem.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:53 AM   #7
Ddubya

Contact Dexter directly. They have been very helpful in similar situations

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:39 AM   #8
Goinav8n

YES it’s frustrating but there is hope. Etrailer sells the whole assembled parts. Not much more money than buying the parts. I think about 120.00. More than the 3500# axles. About twice. Very easy to replace with the 4 bolts and the 2 wires that need attached

Not a tuff job. You will have to adjust the brakes once you have the wheel back on. Get quality bearings and replace 5he seal. These can also be bought from etrailer.com. Good people. Usually when you look it up they hav3 these listed too

Jeff
Goinav8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:21 AM   #9
cjm

double vote for e-trailer. I replaced mine a couple years ago, they were fantastic.
cjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blew up, brakes, springdale