Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2018, 01:07 AM   #61
bapp1236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
Ingenious,, you obviously very handy,, looks to me you have got something there
Thanks, I love to tinker.
bapp1236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:50 AM   #62
Ken / Claudia

Thanks for the reply, that much difference is a big deal IMO and a good one. I get the engineering of the change, maybe missed the before and after numbers. I believe your being honest in the information and including the the wheel/ axle upgrade is important.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:11 AM   #63
Local150

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapp1236 View Post
I've built horse trailers with living quarters over 20 years professionally, some over 40' long. How many have you made? This rig is engineered and reinforced to those industry standards which far surpass RV standards because you're hauling a live load and it's not legal to ride in a TT in most states. The entire conversion added just 300 lbs. The ProPride hitch and stinger weighed 250. I've towed this rig over 1000 miles with no stress problems. The tires are 225/75-15 S speed rated and load range D on two 5k dexter axels. which will support 10K. Like I mentioned earlier, even if it still had stock axels, there would be 1600 lb additional capacity. In short, you believe a person who could engineer a conversion such as this isn't smart enough to think of the axels?
I am on your side totally,, I think what you have done here. I would be shocked if they aren't on the market someday. It's just a way to put the weight where it should be,, over the axle not several feet behind it. Keep up the good work,, you have something here
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #64
bapp1236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
I am on your side totally,, I think what you have done here. I would be shocked if they aren't on the market someday. It's just a way to put the weight where it should be,, over the axle not several feet behind it. Keep up the good work,, you have something here
Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:02 PM   #65
cookinwitdiesel

Functionally it does seem like a no brainer to me for these to be more common. I imagine it is liability concerns keeping them from being more widespread and available.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:31 AM   #66
bapp1236

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
Functionally it does seem like a no brainer to me for these to be more common. I imagine it is liability concerns keeping them from being more widespread and available.
The other day I ran across a website that builds and sells something similar to what I've built. I don't know if I would have paid the $2,500 plus shipping they want and
mine has a few more supports to account for the extra stress on the A-frame, but this one looks like it would work if you have a strong A-frame.

https://www.bpconversions.com/products
Old 10-07-2018, 07:33 AM   #67
cookinwitdiesel

I did see that and look through their website. They are clearly a small shop, hopefully with more volume they could bring the price down. but if I had to choose between the Gooseneck adapter and a ProPride (about the same money) I would take the gooseneck (assuming my truck can hook up to it).

That being said, both solutions seem too rich for my blood at this point. My trailer was only $19k new
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:05 PM   #68
Scoho2098

Well, I for one, am very impressed with your project BAPP and fully support your reasons for doing it and the thought that went into engineering it. It is a very good solution that solves many many problems and does so in very safe ways using known concepts that work. I do projects like this all the time but have not posted about them. I'm shocked at the flak you got over this as I read every post in this thread. You nailed this problem head on and I'm grateful.
For those that say things like "Just get a better towing vehicle"... When you tow the trailer with an F350 and still have the problem, It's not as simple as trading in your new truck for a $30,000 upgrade that you drive around w/o a trailer 95% of the time. Also, "Getting a smaller trailer" leaves you with two problems: Less of a trailer and what do you do with the trailer you just bought and would have to take a bath to sell?
$3k is chump change as a solution to a big problem. Driving white knuckled in wind is dangerous. Goose-necking is an awesome solution for many Rookie RVers that buy vehicles that were built to the edge of limitations to begin with. Especially when the dealer was so convincing you'd be fine!
Upgrading my truck would cost $30k and raise my daily gas costs, Downgrading my Trailer would cost $15k and leave me with less than I want in an RV. $3k for a goose-neck, ha! My ProPride is almost that much and it did not fix my problem!
Also, Thanks for the link You saved me a lot of time building it. I definitely like yours better and I will be adding your cross support idea for piece of mind. That is about the easiest bolt-on upgrade that could be done to make up for the stress being put on the A-frame.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:10 PM   #69
John61CT

Well said.

Does the law have any say in such mods?
John61CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:24 AM   #70
Scoho2098

Quote:
Originally Posted by John61CT View Post
Well said.

Does the law have any say in such mods?
This certainly isn't official but I read yesterday (Click here) that the Owner was mocking up plans to convert his TT to a gooseneck in 2013 and he conferred with the Law and the insurance and all agreed it was legal and allowable.
Unfortunately they guy went quiet for a couple years and later came back to announce he traded up to a fifth wheel.

I just ordered the unit from BP Conversions. I'll post the results. He said it'll be ready in 2-3 weeks.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:25 AM   #71
John61CT

What was the final delivered price, and how far are you from them?

I plan to design a from-scratch modular multi-use trailer bed and am interested in using this as the basis for being able to convert between the two tow styles as needed.

Either the a-frame for the pull-tow A-frame

is fully removable, so would attach to the same mount points as this unit, or

the forward part of the pull-tow pivots to vertical

so as to get the front of the rectangular bed closer to the truck when going 5th wheel.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:18 PM   #72
Scoho2098

The final delivery price is not set until the shipping is worked out. It's 2250+ shipping. He said $300 if it's delivered via freight truck but I would have to have a way to of load it from the truck. I don't, so he is pricing to have it delivered with a lift gate truck that will drop it for me to my door and he is also looking for a freight warehouse near me that he can drop it at and they will load it on my trailer for me when I pick it up. I'll go with whatever is cheaper.
He said he's got mine completed now that is going to be powder coated and then he'll run the electric and ship in about 2 weeks.
I'll be posting everything as I go along.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:18 PM   #73
John61CT

Great, appreciate it.

That heavy you and a mate couldn't wrassle it off the truck yourself?
Old 03-27-2019, 06:30 PM   #74
Scoho2098

550 pounds including the pallet
Old 03-28-2019, 05:15 AM   #75
John61CT

Wow, I've seen designs for whole trailers don't weigh that much, lots of boat trailers weigh 10-15% of their GVWR.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:02 AM   #76
Carguy540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoho2098 View Post
The final delivery price is not set until the shipping is worked out. It's 2250+ shipping. He said $300 if it's delivered via freight truck but I would have to have a way to of load it from the truck. I don't, so he is pricing to have it delivered with a lift gate truck that will drop it for me to my door and he is also looking for a freight warehouse near me that he can drop it at and they will load it on my trailer for me when I pick it up. I'll go with whatever is cheaper.
He said he's got mine completed now that is going to be powder coated and then he'll run the electric and ship in about 2 weeks.
I'll be posting everything as I go along.

I was wondering how you liked the conversion and if it made a big difference? I'm in the process of building one for my trailer right now.
Carguy540 is offline   Reply With Quote