Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2018, 06:05 PM   #21
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
... I have a writeup i did on another forum, which lays out the way I did it, following the manufacturers directions, but also using a template, and it works great.
Thanks for the info. While yours is a Ram and mine a GMC, I'd still love to read your write. Can you post a link or PM it to me?

Thanks
Mike
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:07 AM   #22
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
Puck system

I've watched 2 videos of adding a 5 puck system to a truck that did not have it installed at the factory. In 1 video they lifted the entire bed up about a foot off the frame. In the other video, removed the box bolt downs entirely on one side and loosened them on the other side in order to block the bed up with some 2x4s.

Has anyone added a puck system to their truck, and if so and you don't mind, what did that cost? The above videos would make me think it's an expensive undertaking, and then there's still the 5er hitch to buy.

Thanks for your thoughts
Mike
I installed one in my '12 F250... with the help of a buddy... we did it in a 12 pack one morning.. Yes we pulled the bed bolts and blocked the bed up on 2X4's to make it easier to reach the bolts.. and we added Firestone airbags at the same time.. Total time... was less than 4 hours start to finish..

All you need are hand tools, torque wrench, a couple of hole saws if you are putting the pucks and the ball... I opted not to install the ball as I have no need of a gooseneck...

I traded archery lessons for the hitch and bought the mounting hardware directly from Reese... Reese is who makes the FORD O.E.M hitch... Reese even included the Torx bit needed to remove the bed bolts...

As for location of the holes.. Ford has dimpled the locations in the bed since the 2011 trucks.. so even that was a no brainer..
Old 08-30-2018, 03:19 PM   #23
cpaulsen

When I bought my Ford truck......I needed a new hitch.....Pullrite Superglide with the underbed mounting system.....! Dealer had me go to the local rv shop. Told them what I wanted and they in turned called the truck dealer. Dealer took the truck over and had the rv shop install the hitch and 7 way plug in the bed. Dealer picked it up when it was done....called me and went and picked it up. Very easy!!
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:41 AM   #24
Skyknight54

A couple of things for your consideration Mike. 1-With a short bed and a 5er you run the rick of impact if you ever put anything in the front of the bed, the bed difference is between the cab and wheels not the wheels and tailgate. 2-If you are going to pull longer than 30ft I would recommend the DRW for better road stability. Being from TX I agree with the Travelin Texans Danny and Linda. I too use the drop down gooseneck ball with the adapter on the trailer. I have used this with a 30ft Jayco and my current 3670RL Montana(14,100 gvwr). The only issue I have is my really nice older chevy with 7.4 ltr (454 gas) only gets about 6 mpg pulling the heavy 5th. I've calculated that in 60k miles of towing I would send $9k more in fuel which is still a lot less than 40/50k for a newer truck. Best of luck and enjoy the adventure !!
Skyknight54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #25
idcruiserman

Flip over ball in the bed plus Andersen ultimate hitch. If you get a dually, you will have more fifth wheel options.
idcruiserman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch