Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2018, 08:03 PM   #61
flybouy
Site Team

Here's one of my favorites that happened a few years ago. Booked a stay at
Artillery Ridge cg in Gettysburg, PA. We had a 29' at the time and was given a site so tight that we couldn't open our awning and the tongue was 6" into the road. My BIL had 30' and was the same story. We set up, walked around and sure enough there in a big pull thru site was the smallest Coleman pop up I've ever seen. I don't think it was 8' long. Looked silly in that big 50 amp site with a lamp cord extension plugged in and run under the canvas.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:51 AM   #62
gearhead

Grump alert....I have a new one.
Before sunrise on a Sunday morning in Grand Lake St Marys State Park, Celina Ohio:
The garbage truck.
Otherwise a nice place.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:23 AM   #63
vampress_me

Well, I have to report in. I ordered and made 2 of these signs, double sided. And they seem to be working! Consensus of everyone I’ve talked to at the campground seems to be that a majority of people are driving slower. Thank goodness!

Hmm...and apparently I’m inept at uploading a right side up photo....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CF573543-6E5E-43B0-B94B-8A4831B7C32D.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	562.2 KB
ID:	18597  

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:13 AM   #64
C.LeeNick

Those signs are excellent!

As much as I like setting up in RV parks with hookups and amenities, my wife and I love dry camping in the boonies much better.

Some of the worst experiences we've had camping have been at campgrounds. Like the time we were tent camping a week in southern Nevada...We spent one night in a developed BLM campground just below Eagle Valley Reservoir in Nevada. A pretty popular fishing spot. We had been camping many nights in the boonies just setting up anywhere we ended up at the end of the day, but finding this little gem of a campground before dark, with covered tables, level spots, and restrooms, was a bonus. We had the entire campground to ourselves when we got there, and there were spaces along two sides of a little ravine, maybe 15 of them or so, so there was plenty of room for everyone who might show up later to spread out and not be on top of each other.

Wouldn't you know it, around midnight a fellow and his young son pull into the campground with their aluminum boat and set up RIGHT next to us. Only two sites occupied in the whole place. The aluminum boat was no more than 15-20 feet from our tent. And then the fellow proceeds to set up his boat for fishing later than morn...he pulls out a trolling motor and puts it on the boat, gets all his gear out of the truck and puts it all in the boat, opening boxes and pulling stuff out, putting tackle boxes and stuff in the boat, then re-arranges it all. As anyone here will know, banging around in that aluminum boat for an hour and half in the middle of the night when there isn't a another sound was VERY annoying. He might as well have been ringing the Liberty Bell right next to our tent. All through it, his young son was quiet as a church mouse, but the dude himself just seemed oblivious to all the racket he was making. Yes, I was grumpy! It was all I could do to not go out there and raise hades. I told my wife: "Watch, the guy will probably be pulling out before sunup to head to the lake." Sure enough, just a few hours later, before sunrise, he fires up his truck, 20 feet from the tent, and starts revving the engine to warm it up, and then heads out.

The only thing he left at his campsite when he left was his lantern, cooler, and some folding chairs. We broke camp and pulled out later than morning, never seeing the guy again, and I very much wanted to toss all his gear into the ravine behind his campsite. But as much as I wanted to, I just laughed it off and chalked it up to experience. We didn't stay at another campground that trip, just headed back into the boonies for a couple more nights.
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:24 AM   #65
mikell

Fall camping last October in Michigan. Small campground 100 sites and 5-6 campers park where you want. In our class C we found an easy drive through and setup. Within 20 minutes another huge class A drives by the next road and sure enough pulls right in next to us. Tried to say Hi they just looked at us like how dare you. Pulled 2 huge bags of trash out from underneath and put them in their fire pit and lit them. I called the office and they came out but the people didn't really care so we moved to a spot our campfire smoke would go towards their rig like they did to us. At least we didn't burn out trash. never saw the people leave their rig and they ran the generator the whole time.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:42 AM   #66
LuvsPalmTrees

Mikell - how awful, I hate when people burn trash and have an entire campground to pick a site from and decide they want the one next to you. I love camping in Michigan in the fall. We are going in a few weeks and the Fall Festivals are done so we should be good. We have been in the campground where is was us and another TT on one side and maybe 2 on the other side. Love it.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator