Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2023, 10:13 PM   #1
Max23

Furnace whirring and clicking

So. At campground. Furnace is not turned on, been using a/c as it's pretty warm out. Middle of night wake up to a whirring and clicking sound. It's by the Furnace. So, able to see down in there enough to see a "reset" switch on top of it. Turned it off, noises stopped. So, definitely the Furnace. So, thought I'd see if Furnace was working so I turned in on and set the thermostat to kick it on. Blower started up as normal, Furnace ignited ran a few seconds then went out, blower stayed on then Furnace cycled and tried again with same result. Then turned down thermostat so it could cycle off which it did. Blower stopped and whirring clicking sound started again. Shut off reset switch and that's where I'm at. Now, related or not, I don't know, however there is a yellow "running light" outside of the camper right under the Furnace which is on and does not shut off. It's right above the black/gray water drains but I've never seen it before. Can't imagine it's always on as it would drain batteries so I'm assuming at this point it's maybe some warning light for the Furnace due to this problem?? Unsure. I checked the tank levels and both are at 2/3rds, thinking maybe it was a warning light for full tank. Apparently not that either. Anyway, back to the Furnace, any thoughts?
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 05:44 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Sounds like a wiring issue. There are no “warning” lights on the exterior for the furnace. I’m thinking a short somewhere.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 12:22 PM   #3
Max23

Found the light. Totally different issue completely. Not related. I was told either stuck sail switch or condensation on the sail switch causing constant contact. Well, at this point I'm assuming it was condensation as I put a fun under there for a while and it is now fine. Could feel some moisture in top of the furnace so that made sense to me so that's where I went first. Seems to have done it. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-29-2023, 02:17 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

That’s a new one!! I will need to look at the next furnace I have to work on, I don’t think there was 12V present at the sail switch with the furnace off.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 05:14 PM   #5
Max23

I wouldn't know for sure. I was surprised at it fore sure. Therm was on a/c so your right, logic would dictate, no power going there! Who knows.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:37 AM   #6
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
That’s a new one!! I will need to look at the next furnace I have to work on, I don’t think there was 12V present at the sail switch with the furnace off.
if the thermostat was left on and it was in the temp range it was calling for heat then there would be, but that would be a new one on me if it was wired for constant 12V.
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace