Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
flyinjake

Cable and Pulley slide systems

Hello,

We are considering purchasing a Sprinter 296FWRLS and would like to know if anyone has experience, good or bad, with the cable and pulley system that is used to extend and retract the slides. Looks complicated and difficult to repair if something were to break. Is this used on other models within Keystone or other brands? Someone else on another forum stated it was used at one time but dropped due to problems?

Thanks for any information you can give me on this topic or the SPrinter 296FWRLS in general.

Jake
flyinjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #2
Javi

My '12 Passport GT 2890RL has a cable slide as do many other trailers. Not real complicated to repair or adjust. Look here for more information including a good video on how to repair/adjust the cables.

http://norcoind.com/bal/products/oem...de/index.shtml
Old 11-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
billb800si

Works great on our 2014 Cougar High Country 321RES trailer. Brings all four corners in nice & tight. Plus it saves a lot of weight on the trailer.
Happy trails,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
outwest

The Keystone Vantage line (no longer in production) used the cable system. Open Range uses it on their slides as well. I dont remember what brand of motorhome my grandparents used to have back in the late 80's (or early 90's?), but their slideout used cable system too.

The downside is cables do need routine inspection and occasionally need adjusting; misalignment or being out of adjustment (stretched, etc) can result in a frayed cable that needs replacing. And, if a cable goes or the motor goes out, for many models you have to remove fascia in order to replace or adjust cable and to manually operate the slide.

So far I haven't had any problems with the cable system. My grandparents did have the motor quit on their motorhome's slide and had to remove fascia to operate manually. But, grandparents had a bigger problem and that was my grandmother At one point (different incident from motor quitting) she let a magazine get under the slide and it eventually jammed things up (got wrapped around the rollers if I remember correctly). Grandfather ended up having to have dealer completely remove slide with forklift to fix it.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
flyinjake

Better than I initially thought

Thanks for the replies. I was concerned when I first saw it but it appears to be a good system.

Jake
flyinjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
BulletOwner1

We had an 06 R-Vision 30' motor home with a large cable slide and small cable slide and currently have a 2012 Keystone Bullet bumper pull with a 12' cable slide. No problems with either.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
shastababb

Keystone Sprinter Slider

Just purchase a 2014 Keystone Sprinter we had it three weeks.Took it out for the fist time the #1 slider motor broke loss from its mount.

I couldn't belive how they monted the motor with four small wood screws. There is alot of torque on this motor because the slid is big, containing refrgerater, range, & entertanment center. We had to call a repair place to come out and help up secure the slide so we could drive it into Ukiah CA to be repaired. Keystone customer service very bad at Keystone not very courteous.

Totaly destroyed our camping trip, waste of fuel and time. I'm hoping that this is the only problem. To me the cable slider mechanism is a poor design. Need a plate installed for better support.

Also emailed Keystone to ask where it was safe to install a towel rack and toilet paper holder since I knew there was wires running threw that wall. My response from Keystone was we can take responsiblity use a stud finder. Okay stud finders do not find wires. I am an aircraft mechanic and I can see when there is poor construction.

They need to do more testing on there product, stuff like sliders take alot of wear and tair.They could save money if they would put out a quility product, less warienty work.
shastababb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #8
wva3185

Top Seals On Cable Slides

My 2012 Fuzion has four slides with the cable/pulley system. There are seals on the inside along both sides that seal between the slides and the inside walls but no seals on the top inside. It appears that the only seal is the one wiper seal that is on the outside of the slide. I have found that stink bugs have invaded my RV in all four slides through this top seal since the ends are open on the wiper. Anyone else have this issue? Was you able to come up with a fix? Thanks.
wva3185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #9
GaryWT

Our Premier Bullet has these and no problems after season one. On a side note, if someone puts a screw in a stud the they should miss a wire in the wall. Do we all call our house builders to hang a picture in our house.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:50 PM   #10
Mr fixit

I ha ave a 2018 aerolite with the cable slide. We went camping this last week and when I went to operate the slide it was real jerky and noisy. I read some forums and they were talking about these kind of slides having something called a wear bar. This is a bar that the room slides in and out on. Nothing but the bottom of the room ,a lot of friction not a good design. This week I had to grease the bottom out edges of the room to get it to act normal again. And by the way I used a slick water proof grease, it cost a dollar a bottle at the dollar store, petroleum jelly
Mr fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr fixit View Post
...And by the way I used a slick water proof grease, it cost a dollar a bottle at the dollar store, petroleum jelly
This is a 5 year old thread and most of the posters are no longer active on the forum. Posting "new info" in such an "antique thread" typically doesn't provide any help to the member seeking advice, so it's better to start a new thread if new information needs to be shared.

I responded to another of your posts referencing use of petroleum jelly to lubricate the slides. Are you aware that Keystone warns (in the owner's manual) against using any petroleum based lubricants on the slide mechanisms? Just because it works doesn't mean it's not harmful or won't attract sand/dirt that can cause excessive wear.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:05 AM   #12
Tinner12002

Our 18 Raptor has the cable operated slides in all three locations, seem to work good so far. Had the same issue some others have had with the oil from the motor dripping on the top of the slides, all three, and causing the material to bubble up. Taking it into dealer after the Charlotte Race to have them do their fix for that including cutting out the bubble and patching the top of the slide. Told them to check the cables at that time and make any adjustments that's required.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:39 AM   #13
Tinner12002

Lol...didn't look at the date of when it was orig posted!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:14 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
Lol...didn't look at the date of when it was orig posted!
Yup, there's a better than average chance that the trailer in question is either traded in on a bigger one, sold to the neighbor or dragged to a permanent site on a lake in the woods......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:16 PM   #15
lcanterbury

Premier Slide

I recently had to replace the small gearbox on the 12' slide on my 2015 Premier Bullet. The slide start jerking when I would move it in and out. I talked with a RV Tech and he suggested the I lubricate the seals with a lube made for the slide seals. This worked but then I noticed it started jerking even after lubricating. I found the seal along the bottom of the slide was folded to the inside which created in essence a brake. I removed the seal and replaced it with basically a door sweep type seal. This closes the area to keep insects, water, etc. out but it will not fold into the opening and create a brake effect. I have done this to both slides on the unit and everything is back to working smoothly.
The gearbox is not too bad to change. The bearing mount on the intermediate gear in the gearbox won't take a lot of abuse. I am sure the jerking probably caused the failure. There are a few Youtube videos on the process. I did mine without removing any of the decorative molding on the slide.
lcanterbury is offline   Reply With Quote