Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2018, 09:45 AM   #1
joefriggenblow

2008 Sprinter GFI

Good afternoon,

I have a 2008 Sprinter 311BHS model and two plugs have stopped working.

The GFI ( no reset switch) on the outside of the trailer and the plug just inside the door by the sink (no GFI)

I have checked all breakers and fuses and are all working. The GFI (only other one) in the back bunk room is on and working fine along with the rest of the trailer outlets.

Is it as simple as replacing the outside GFI or can it be reset (no reset button) ?

I find it strange the trailer only has two GFI plugs.

Any other ideas.
joefriggenblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:55 AM   #2
KeithInUpstateNY

I'm not familiar with your trailer, but the outlets in the bathroom and galley should both be GFI, they are required near water sources. If an outlet has a GFI sticker and no reset button it is probably on a circuit that is GFI protected, either by a GFI outlet before it in the circuit or a GFI breaker. One other thought, sometimes when a breaker trips it doesn't go all the way to the off position. You could try turning them off and back on, if you haven't already done so.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:00 AM   #3
joefriggenblow

yes I thought the bathroom would have a gfi but it doesn't. I made my rounds from outlet to outlet. all work except those two. the breaker is working because when I switch it off the back bunk one goes off.
joefriggenblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:21 AM   #4
KeithInUpstateNY

You said "The GFI ( no reset switch) on the outside of the trailer and the plug just inside the door by the sink (no GFI)". So the outlet near the door does not have a reset button either? If that's the case it could be GFI protected like the outside outlet and the sticker fell off. Thr only outlet with a GFI reset button is the one in the bunk room?

2015 Bullet 220RBI
Old 09-02-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
KeithInUpstateNY

While you are sorting this out I would also trip the GFI button in the bunk room with the test button and see what other outlets go out for future reference. Then reset it.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
Old 09-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #6
KeithInUpstateNY

For what it is worth, I just double checked my camper. My only GFI outlet is in my bathroom. My galley and outside outlets are GFI protected, which means they are on the same circuit.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
Old 09-02-2018, 02:40 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

When a trailer is wired, the outlets are set in series. The first will almost always be a GFI with reset buttons and the others downstream area also GFI but no reset buttons. This is common in houses as well.

You will need to pop the covers off all your outlets and start closest to your power converter and move away. The outlets don't have screws fastening the wires inside like most houses but have a couple blades that allow the installer to pop the wire in and the blades cut the insulation and make contact. Much quicker (cheaper) install this type of outlet in a trailer. The vibration from AC can make the wires come out of the blades and continuity is lost breaking the series. I had this happen with the microwave outlet which was in a cabinet a couple trailers ago.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:58 AM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Also check the outlet behind the fridge. It may be there.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:12 AM   #9
flookk

I have a 2007 Sprinter TT and the outside outlets blew the GFI when the awning leaked down the side of the unit during a rainstorm (gap in the rain rail). The GFI socket with the reset button was behind the chair just inside the rear door near the Power Distribution panel. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180905_130058.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	18413
flookk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sprinter