Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
Smurf

Bullet Premier 29RKPR

Any experience with this trailer out there? Pros and Cons
Thanks
Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:25 AM   #2
gregrc75

no experience with that model, but just passed 6 years with my 2011 Bullet Premier. Still happy with it.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:35 AM   #3
1951grumpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
Any experience with this trailer out there? Pros and Cons
Thanks
Bought one in July, A/C won't get the coach below 80 on an 85 degree day if in the sun. Bedroom Closets get over 100 degrees. There's an insulation problem with the nose. Factory customer service rep told me to get a second A/C.
1951grumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:28 PM   #4
TyeeMan

1951grumpa, what year 29RKPR did you purchase?
On the a/c unit inside, there is a vent you can open that will cool the immediate area and will minimize cool air flow through the ceiling vents. When closed ALL cool air will spill from the ceiling vents. Did you have that vent closed?

The only reason I'm asking is, as the original poster, we are interested in a 29RKPR. We're looking at a 2017 with an outdoor kitchen, just love all the windows and big kitchen.
The extremely anemic and too highly placed "medecine cabinet" with mirror is awful but we can work with it.

Anyway, any and all info you could add would be greatly appreciated!
TyeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:39 AM   #5
BigSwin

We bought a 2017 29RKPR in July. So far, it's been great. We've made two week long trips to Georgia, one in August, one earlier this month. Both with daytime temps of 90+, our A/C had no trouble maintaining 72 degrees. The medicine cabinet is a little high. We had to get a small step stool for our daughter to see in the mirror ( she's 5'2").
BigSwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:04 AM   #6
TyeeMan

BigSwin, thanks for your reply I really appreciate it! Yeah we also noted that the medicine cabinet was a bit anemic and placed too high. On other forums we've read about people lowering the medicine cabinet, essentially just unscrewing it, lowering it a bit and screwing it back into the studs. You would need to make a trim piece up by the ceiling for a filler piece.

One other thing I've read about was the refrigerator not cooling well. How did yours work in the heat?

What is your overall feel of the trailer? We've looked and looked and it seems like every trailer has some cheese factor. But we just love all the windows, the huge kitchen area and the outside kitchen.

One other question if you don't mind me asking, what is your tow vehicle and how did the trailer pull?
I currently have a 3/4 ton, but in a couple years I'm looking to get a different truck. Just kinda wondering if I'm going to need another 3/4 ton to pull this or if a 1/2 ton will work?

I look forward to your reply, thanks.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:02 AM   #7
1951grumpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyeeMan View Post
BigSwin, thanks for your reply I really appreciate it! Yeah we also noted that the medicine cabinet was a bit anemic and placed too high. On other forums we've read about people lowering the medicine cabinet, essentially just unscrewing it, lowering it a bit and screwing it back into the studs. You would need to make a trim piece up by the ceiling for a filler piece.

One other thing I've read about was the refrigerator not cooling well. How did yours work in the heat?

What is your overall feel of the trailer? We've looked and looked and it seems like every trailer has some cheese factor. But we just love all the windows, the huge kitchen area and the outside kitchen.

One other question if you don't mind me asking, what is your tow vehicle and how did the trailer pull?
I currently have a 3/4 ton, but in a couple years I'm looking to get a different truck. Just kinda wondering if I'm going to need another 3/4 ton to pull this or if a 1/2 ton will work?

I look forward to your reply, thanks.
Ours is a 34’ total length. I pull it with a 2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 6.0 gas , crew cab/8’ bed. The hitch is an Equalizer, combo equalizing and anti sway.
I pulled it over the Big Horn mountains this summer. Mistakenly on Rt 14 with 10% grades, referred by some as the OH MY GOD road. It pulls well. Other than a flat, no pulling problems. I recommend you get another 3/4 truck. Coming out of Laramie Wy on I80 the crosswinds were in excess of 20mph. A1/2 Ton truck would have a hard time holding the camper on the road.
We had no problems with the fridge, just the coach not able to get cool. There is definitely a problem with the “lack of insulation “ in the nose. The dark windows are warmer to the touch than our previous tt. But they put a larger capacity a/c, 15000 btu. But the nose just heats the whole ceiling. So when in the sun the A/C just can’t keep up.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:07 AM   #8
TyeeMan

Thanks for the reply 1951grumpa! The truck you have is likely what I'd be looking at with the exception of the 8' box, and maybe a different year. Do you know what gears you have, 4:11s?
I'd like to get a diesel but they are just stupid expensive! It's hard enough to find a decent used 3/4 ton gas without breaking the bank.

Mu current truck is an 02 GMC 1500 HD, crew cab, 6.5' box, 6.0L 4 X 4. Back in the day the 1500 HD's were basically a 2500 re-badged. The only difference between the 2500 and 2500 HD was the HD came with a full floating rear axel.
The gears in my truck are I believe 3:72 which does leave it lacking a bit in the towing department. That being said, most of our towing will be around Minnesota, at least for the next couple of years.

Are you going to proceed with getting a 2nd a/c? This kind of has me concerned.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:13 PM   #9
1951grumpa

Quote:
Thanks for the reply 1951grumpa! The truck you have is likely what I'd be looking at with the exception of the 8' box, and maybe a different year. Do you know what gears you have, 4:11s?
I'd like to get a diesel but they are just stupid expensive! It's hard enough to find a decent used 3/4 ton gas without breaking the bank.

Mu current truck is an 02 GMC 1500 HD, crew cab, 6.5' box, 6.0L 4 X 4. Back in the day the 1500 HD's were basically a 2500 re-badged. The only difference between the 2500 and 2500 HD was the HD came with a full floating rear axel.
The gears in my truck are I believe 3:72 which does leave it lacking a bit in the towing department. That being said, most of our towing will be around Minnesota, at least for the next couple of years.

NO Second A/C!! It’s supposed to work with the one. I bought it to my dealership last week. They placed in the sun and recorded a bunch of temperatures both inside and out. They put down the inside temperature as 76 when most temperatures, walls and ceilings were 79-86. But these same techs sent in a spec sheet the first time they looked at it stating it was 78 degrees when in fact it was closer to 58 degrees. The high that day was 76. Sorry for my rambling but I’m frustrated with this problem.
My rear end is a 3:73, I only notice when first accelerating. A 4:11 would be better. I bought it used with low mileage. As to a half vs 3/4 it has a lot to do with the weight and beefier brakes. Trailer Life magazine put out towing capacities , good to check.
Good luck
Old 09-25-2017, 01:06 PM   #10
TyeeMan

Well I hope you get your a/c issue resolved. I wouldn't be very happy about it either. I mean one spends a lot of coin on a trailer, , it better work properly!
Old 04-02-2018, 02:02 PM   #11
rdhouston

We bought a 2017 29RKPR in June 2016. The large kitchen is what sold it for us, and we like the large flush mount windows. The outdoor kitchen area is handy, especially with the gas grill attached. Only shortfall is that the outdoor sink has no drain attached.

Not quite two years now and we've towed it over 15,000 miles.

We just got back from a trip to California, we live in Oklahoma, and I had to do quite a bit of "reconstruction" to the interior fittings. All the shelving in the pantry basically fell apart. Some of the shelves were stapled up from the bottom which means that the carrying capacity was compromised. I found that the sleeper sofa was barely attached to the floor on one end so I reinstalled those screws. The slides for the long drawers underneath the booth On both sides had come apart (very poorly supported). I also installed a 22 1/2° fitting in the black tank dump line as it was installed very long and low which kept it from flowing properly.

The took it back to storage on Friday but need to bring it back to the house so I can service the wheel bearings. I'm a little concerned about the suspension, the spring attachment points seem to have no bushing whatsoever in them. I'm thinking about installing a Mor/ryde wet bushing kit.

Being that the unit is a "ultralight" design, it's obvious that many compromises had to be made. It is surely lacking in the area of insulation. We'd had trouble keeping it cool during the summer in Oklahoma and keeping it warm in the winter/early spring of Flagstaff, etc.

We tow it with the 2015 Ford F150 supercrew 4 x 4 with a 3.55 axle ratio. I have yet to feel that we don't have enough truck to pull it or stop it. This truck is rated at 9000 pounds towing capacity. I did quite a bit of research in the 29RKPR is the largest and lightest unit that I could find that would allow us to use this truck. I didn't want to have to buy a new truck as we had just purchased this one in 2015 and then the trailer in 2016. Had I traded that current truck I would've lost my shirt.

Attached is a photo of the rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 F150 2017 29RKPR.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	15874  
Old 04-02-2018, 05:18 PM   #12
1951grumpa

I was typing a response and it disappeared:
Good to hear I’m not the only one with a 29RKPR that doesn’t cool properly. I’ve checked and there’s not enough insulation in the nose , that allows a big area to get very hot. This heat works it’s way across the ceiling and the a/c can’t keep up. One woman I complained to at the factory said I should camp in shaded campgrounds. She must not camp.
I brought my camper in once to have the outdoor kitchen slides re-secured. The screws came out. You reminded me I need to grease my wheels. There are bearing buddies on the wheels.
I would think your truck would handle it. Four of our sons pull their trailers with F150’s and don’t seem to have a problem. None have gone to the big mountains though.
Mine doesn’t have slides under the couch. We have a try- fold couch
Have you ever had your trailer weighed ?
My previous one I took to a Love’s truck stop and they weighed it. $20.
Have a fun summer . Geo.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:29 AM   #13
Leatherman

Congrats on the new trailer. They do look nice don't they?

We have a 2018 24RKPR which is similar. I believe it has the same appliances. It is about 5' shorter and mine has a bit higher cargo capacity at just under 2000 lbs. We have had it exactly 1 year on April 15th. We have camped in it combined for 30+ days and have traveled most of MD, VA and PA.

We have had a single problem with the water heater. The electric panel crapped out on us while camping. It would not work on Propane. After some diagnostics I determined it was the control panel you see when you open the door. I had to take the trailer back to the dealer for testing as they would not take my word for it (understandably). They ordered a new one and I had to take it back to them to get it installed (4 minutes work). They would not send it to me. The only ongoing issue now is the TV does not seem to be working with the HD antenna. I could not get it to work before packing it up for the winter in November. I need to check on it at the end of the month when I get it ready for our trips in May. We did purchase the extended warranty so it should be covered if it's not working.

DW loves the central heat. It heats up the floor nice so it's warm when she gets up in the mornings. Ours came with the upgraded furnace which works great.

In short, we love the trailer and have been very happy with it.

I have done a bunch of mods to it that are listed in the forums (search for 24RKPR) and you will find it.
2018 Keystone 24RKPR (Previous)
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:24 PM   #14
Laredo240MK2015

Quote:

We have the 29RKPR and are towing it with a 2015 Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 with the 5.3. So far it has towed fine but we haven't tried any big mountains. I I did add larger axle stops as it sagged a bit compared to my other trailer. As you said diesel would be the way to go but too expensive.

Steve
Old 04-10-2018, 10:57 AM   #15
MaxxBB

This one looks close to ours - 2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 30REPR - Ours is 34' 11" & 11' 2" High - We love our BB thus far and she pulls very nicely- We have a Fastway Weight Distribution Hitch system and that keeps her weighted nicely and pulling straight. We just upgraded the tires from D rated to the E rated 10 ply versions, just to be safe. We've done lots of upgrades and creature comforts, but even right out of the box it's got it where it counts. Good luck !!
MaxxBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:27 AM   #16
jmccallie

I got my 2016 29RKPR in January '18. Tows nicely with my '16 Ram 1500 5.8L Hemi (Bone Stock / Trailer Package, 9,500Lb capacity). I regularly camp in the mountains of Colorado at nearly 10,000ft, and my driveway is 1/4 of a mile at 12% grade uphill.

Things I noticed: The carpet staples are loose around the edges. The stock sound system is crap, and I am replacing. The stock water pump is noisy, and I have replaced with a Shurflo. There is no place to inject antifreeze in the water system, so I had to install one under the master bunk (The water pump is on the driver's side in a compartment just aft of the storage).
jmccallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:48 AM   #17
ADMC

Any Recommendations for aftermarket dining & sleeping setup

We purchased a gently used 2021 29RKPR with the dining table and chairs, but really prefer a booth setup for the additional sleeping capacity. Any recommendations for an aftermarket setup, or other dining/sleeping configurations out there?

Thanks, in advance!
ADMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:10 AM   #18
Leatherman

I would try contacting Keystone to see if they can provide what you need. You can also check the classifieds to see if someone is selling one. You can then sell the dinette setup.

There are also aftermarket companies that sell furniture.

You can try:

https://rvfurniture.com/
Camping World
https://www.recpro.com/ <- has a large selection of furniture

Good luck
2018 Keystone 24RKPR (Previous)
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:06 AM   #19
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMC View Post
We purchased a gently used 2021 29RKPR with the dining table and chairs, but really prefer a booth setup for the additional sleeping capacity. Any recommendations for an aftermarket setup, or other dining/sleeping configurations out there?

Thanks, in advance!
IMHO if you or someone you know is handy doing wood work I'd suggest custom building exactly what would work best for you rather than trying to alter some of the cheapo stuff from some other rv to work.
I would think the shipping alone would be ridiculous if buying something through the links posted & still get the half a## constructed stuff that might not survive the shipping.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:35 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

If you go to any RV dealership and take a look at the dining booth construction, I'd suspect that you wouldn't want to "pay a high price to install such cheaply built furniture" in any RV.

Take a look at how they are built, go home, draw up some plans and build (or find a carpenter if you don't have the skills/tools) your own dining booth. You'll have a much better constructed, much more functional modification and most likely at a significantly lower price point.

In short, don't pay to buy/install the garbage that comes from most OEM "furniture builders". Build your own, you'll have a better outcome at a lower price.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet, bullet premier