Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2019, 06:16 AM   #1
racetech

10-12 Silverado 1500 vs 5200 GVWR anyone?

I have a 2011 Silverado 1500 5.3. Just purchased my 16 Passport 171EXP and towed it home. Felt pretty good towing it, truck performed well. Im just wondering who here tows with a similar truck and how your like it, especially hitting some hills and mountains on the interstate. I purposely tried to find the smallest possible trailer to serve my needs and im happy with my choice. I think with the trailer loaded for travel ill be pulling about 5000 lbs. It is about 20 feet in length, and I have a WD sway control hitch and air bags if I need them. Thank you for any input if you have a similar rig.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:02 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There are LOTS of differences between the models of the 2011 Silverado 1500 5.3 series. Between base model single cab trucks and loaded up "luxury model crew cab" trucks, there can be as much as 1000 pounds of payload difference, options can increase/decrease the maximum trailer capacity and the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) by several thousand pounds. The specific data on your truck may well vary dramatically from the advertising brochures. Post the actual data from YOUR TRUCK (as GM built it). All of that data is on the two stickers on the driver's door post and on a decal in the glove compartment (unless GM relocated the GCWR sticker).

You'll need to post the FAWR, RAWR, GVW, Payload, Axle ratios, and any other data that is located on the decals. Any responses based on "2011 Silverado 1500 5.3" will be a wide ranging guess, until the actual information on YOUR truck's capacities are available.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:35 AM   #3
racetech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There are LOTS of differences between the models of the 2011 Silverado 1500 5.3 series. Between base model single cab trucks and loaded up "luxury model crew cab" trucks, there can be as much as 1000 pounds of payload difference, options can increase/decrease the maximum trailer capacity and the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) by several thousand pounds. The specific data on your truck may well vary dramatically from the advertising brochures. Post the actual data from YOUR TRUCK (as GM built it). All of that data is on the two stickers on the driver's door post and on a decal in the glove compartment (unless GM relocated the GCWR sticker).

You'll need to post the FAWR, RAWR, GVW, Payload, Axle ratios, and any other data that is located on the decals. Any responses based on "2011 Silverado 1500 5.3" will be a wide ranging guess, until the actual information on YOUR truck's capacities are available.
Hi John thanks for your reply, but you may have missed the point of my post?? I do know my trucks numbers, as I have researched and done the math. What im wanting is to hear from others with a 5.3 Silverado towing approx 5K lbs and if they feel like its enough truck or if they feel like its ever over loaded or under performing. I may have been lacking a bit with my info so to add to my original post I can say I have a 1500 4x4 Z71 Extended cab 3.42 gear. So I guess all I can do is take it out and tow it, see how I think it feels, im sure after my 400 mile trip to KY and back later this month ill have a good feel for if I need a truck upgrade or not lol
Old 04-30-2019, 07:42 AM   #4
Gegrad

That trailer weighs 3600 lbs. Unless you are carrying a golf cart in the bed or 6 huge adults in the truck or the truck is heavily modified (or in poor condition/maintained, i.e. 240k miles), you shouldn't have any problem, or be near to any capacity with that trailer/truck combo. You probably have around 1700-1800 lbs payload with that truck based on my chevy experience. Another user on here has a 19.5 footer with a similar truck and isn't close to any max, and your trailer is even smaller.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:45 AM   #5
racetech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
That trailer weighs 3600 lbs. Unless you are carrying a golf cart in the bed or 6 huge adults in the truck or the truck is heavily modified (or in poor condition/maintained, i.e. 240k miles), you shouldn't have any problem, or be near to any capacity with that trailer/truck combo. You probably have around 1700-1800 lbs payload with that truck based on my chevy experience. Another user on here has a 19.5 footer with a similar truck and isn't close to any max, and your trailer is even smaller.
Thanks for the reply and the info. I feel that the trailer is a good size for the truck and is why I went small. I like my truck and really didnt want to upgrade. I do have a 600 pound atv I put in the bed at times, but I may have to leave that at home on longer trips pulling the camper.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:52 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by racetech View Post
Thanks for the reply and the info. I feel that the trailer is a good size for the truck and is why I went small. I like my truck and really didnt want to upgrade. I do have a 600 pound atv I put in the bed at times, but I may have to leave that at home on longer trips pulling the camper.

John had mentioned the numbers inside the driver door of your truck. Axle ratio (3.42) is nice to know and it isn't really a "towing" ratio. The other numbers will dictate, most importantly, if you're truck was designed to carry a specific load. You said you knew the numbers and it would be handy if you posted them so you get a better idea of where you sit weight wise vs the "it pulls just fine" seat of the pants comment. That comment can come from a combo that is thousands of pounds overweight.

All that said, it does appear, just by "seat of the pants" observation, that your truck should be OK. That doesn't mean that it is. Without scaled weights bouncing the weight limits of the truck against the gvw of the trailer is about the best you can do to know if the "it tows great" observations are actually accurate or in reality mean; "I don't have a clue if I'm within limits or not but it can make it roll OK". I don't think that is the kind of feedback you are looking for.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:28 AM   #7
racetech

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
John had mentioned the numbers inside the driver door of your truck. Axle ratio (3.42) is nice to know and it isn't really a "towing" ratio. The other numbers will dictate, most importantly, if you're truck was designed to carry a specific load. You said you knew the numbers and it would be handy if you posted them so you get a better idea of where you sit weight wise vs the "it pulls just fine" seat of the pants comment. That comment can come from a combo that is thousands of pounds overweight.

All that said, it does appear, just by "seat of the pants" observation, that your truck should be OK. That doesn't mean that it is. Without scaled weights bouncing the weight limits of the truck against the gvw of the trailer is about the best you can do to know if the "it tows great" observations are actually accurate or in reality mean; "I don't have a clue if I'm within limits or not but it can make it roll OK". I don't think that is the kind of feedback you are looking for.
Ok I get what you guys are saying now. The numbers I have from my door jam and owners manual state that i have a cargo capacity of 1650 and a GVWR of 7000. My GCVWR is 15,000 lbs, with my engine, axle and options. Hence the reason I said my numbers are in spec with this trailer. And I think it felt good towing and also stopping with my Prodigy P2 i installed. But Northeast Ohio is pretty flat so I was just hoping to get some feedback from people who have towed many miles across different terrain with a similar rig so I know what to expect. Thanks again
Old 04-30-2019, 09:37 AM   #8
cookinwitdiesel

That is the smaller V8 and gas, so it may do well on flat roads but hills will force you to slow down and pull over to the right lane. Also, you won't have nearly the engine breaking a diesel would so be careful on the downhills as well. You do not want to overheat the trucks brakes.

Other than that, at a glance, the weights should be ok. You did well getting a smaller trailer that matches your TV well.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:42 AM   #9
linux3

I have a '17 Silverado Z71 w/ 3.42 gears, 5.3L V8 and standard tow package i.e. hitch and wiring no brake controller.
Tekonsha brake controller and Husky Centerline TS WDH.
GVW is something like 5150# I had it weighed at the start of a month long trip a couple of years ago at a local scrap yard and I think it was around 4500#.
We travel 8 - 9k miles a year. Been to Boulder CO. and over the Cumberland Gap on I-40 in TN. No sweat.
I get around 11 ~ 12 MPG pulling (except in TN and CO) and main thing is the truck rides much nicer with the TT in tow.
When I'm coming to a climb I'll drop the tranny down to "L" so it down shifts before the hill rather than letting it lug until it down shifts.
We've looked at bigger TTs and TVs but the trailer is for sleeping. We like to get out and see what there is to see.
I parallel parked on Main St. in Zanesville OH, I am rather proud of that!
Easy in and out, a great combo IMHO.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:42 AM   #10
Tbos

I towed a larger trailer Passport 2810BH with a similar truck (numbers are close to yours) and the tail was wagging the dog. Before the 2810 I had a 238ML that was lighter and only 25’. The truck didn’t know it was there and never had any issues as long as I used my equalizer 4 point WDH sway control hitch. If you load it correctly and watch your trucks payload you should be good.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:58 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Here are some things to think about;

Your payload is 1650. The trailer gvw is 5200 so figure tongue at about 625. That leaves about 1025 in payload. 100 for hitch, 400 for folks/puppy, tools/gear/blocks/jack(s)/ice chest/bbq pit/ etc. etc. = 300 lbs.? 800 lbs. from the 1025 you had leaves 225. Very close to the max of your truck. Add a 600 lb. ATV? Out of the question to me.

Let's assume you keep it at or below gvw (without the atv); how does it pull from anyone pulling something similar? I have not had that truck or trailer. I have pulled a 5000 lb. boat/tandem axle trailer with a Ram 1500, 5.7L, 3.55 rear end. The Ram would have a stronger engine, better towing ratio and I suspect stronger towing suspension (Off Road suspension). It pulled it well. I knew it was there, especially on long grades, but nothing that was going to stop the truck. Tongue weight wasn't an issue and there was no wdh or sway control.

The difference would be the frontal area of the trailer (which the boat had very little/none) and the "sail" effect of the big slab sides of a trailer (again the boat had little/none) - those will have as much effect on the truck/trailer as being able to "carry" or "pull" it.

In the end the best one can do is try to research as much as possible, try to be conservative in numbers, give yourself a 15% (my opinion) cushion below any/all weight limits, close your eyes and sign the contract.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:11 AM   #12
racetech

Thank you for the helpful replies, good info and some things to think about!! I appreciate it. I think I may weight the TT after I load it up and take it to dump the black tank soon (Thats another story) and see where im at with the TT. Dry weight is 3600 and I dont plan to haul a lot of junk. So with propane, blocks, tools, luggage, and misc im gonna guess Ill be 4500 or under. I dont plan to haul any water in the tanks as I wont need it.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:15 AM   #13
racetech

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Here are some things to think about;

Your payload is 1650. The trailer gvw is 5200 so figure tongue at about 625. That leaves about 1025 in payload. 100 for hitch, 400 for folks/puppy, tools/gear/blocks/jack(s)/ice chest/bbq pit/ etc. etc. = 300 lbs.? 800 lbs. from the 1025 you had leaves 225. Very close to the max of your truck. Add a 600 lb. ATV? Out of the question to me.

Let's assume you keep it at or below gvw (without the atv); how does it pull from anyone pulling something similar? I have not had that truck or trailer. I have pulled a 5000 lb. boat/tandem axle trailer with a Ram 1500, 5.7L, 3.55 rear end. The Ram would have a stronger engine, better towing ratio and I suspect stronger towing suspension (Off Road suspension). It pulled it well. I knew it was there, especially on long grades, but nothing that was going to stop the truck. Tongue weight wasn't an issue and there was no wdh or sway control.

The difference would be the frontal area of the trailer (which the boat had very little/none) and the "sail" effect of the big slab sides of a trailer (again the boat had little/none) - those will have as much effect on the truck/trailer as being able to "carry" or "pull" it.

In the end the best one can do is try to research as much as possible, try to be conservative in numbers, give yourself a 15% (my opinion) cushion below any/all weight limits, close your eyes and sign the contract.....
Thanks Danny, I have actually been thinking of small things like limiting or not using fresh water tank, and limiting myself on any coolers ice and beverages and just buying small amounts of that at each spot we plan to camp so Im not hauling it around. Ive done the math on hauling the quad and as long as I just haul the quad and keep any other items in the TT i will be under my max payload still as long as I dont get carried away with cargo in TT and over do it on my tongue weight. Any trips with the quad would be around 100 miles or less I wouldnt tow it across the country or even down south in the hills.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:32 AM   #14
rjrelander

Our trailer is lighter than yours (4400 GVWR) but about the same length and profile. Our trucks are fairly similar (hard to tell without exact numbers) and our setup has towed great for two seasons. We do have the 3.08 axle ratio which limits our options. No problems with steep hills (no mountains here), windy interstates, or quick stops.

Everybody's number are different but 5000-ish GVWR trailers seem to be the magic number for "no worries" on typical half ton trucks. Probably still want weight distribution (right on the edge I believe) and you will always need some form of sway control.

Have to watch the numbers pretty close with that 600 pound ATV in the bed though, even on short trips. Sounds like you've done the math. Maybe leave everyone else at home, only fill your gas tank half full, and wash any extra dirt off the truck before you load up?

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:49 AM   #15
racetech

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrelander View Post
Our trailer is lighter than yours (4400 GVWR) but about the same length and profile. Our trucks are fairly similar (hard to tell without exact numbers) and our setup has towed great for two seasons. We do have the 3.08 axle ratio which limits our options. No problems with steep hills (no mountains here), windy interstates, or quick stops.

Everybody's number are different but 5000 pound trailers seems to be the magic number for "no worries" on typical half ton trucks. Probably still want weight distribution (right on the edge I believe) and you always need some form of sway control.

Have to watch the numbers pretty close with that 600 pound ATV in the bed though, even on short trips.
I bought a Husky Centerline WD with built in sway control for this trailer. I had a WD hitch for my enclosed race car trailer that is just to heavy for this camper.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:01 AM   #16
{tpc}

We used to tow our trailer with a 2007 Tahoe with the 5.3. Granted it will tow differently because of the wheelbase difference I am sure, but thats probably not what your getting at here. Our trailer loaded weighs in at 5000 lbs. We had the 3.73 gear ratio. I had the sway control before I got the truck (friction style) and added a second one on the other side just because. Worked great. However, towards the end of the tahoes life as my tow vehicle, it was not up to the task. It could do the job, but just tired of doing it. We went to Niagara Falls with it, Virginia, Washington DC, Nashville, etc. So it saw a fair amount of hilly terrain. It was starting to struggle, and so it was moved on, likely to live out the rest of its life as a kid hauler/grocery getter. But it had almost 280,000 miles on it, so I figure that had something to do with its struggles.

I feel like you will know if and when yours does the same. Things become obvious, like climbing hills or just gradual inclines, and you have issues. The 5.3 isn't a bad engine at all though, at least from my experience. If your experiencing struggles now though, they are not going to get better. I don't know if I could do the atv in the bed thing though, seems like might be too much.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #17
Jbrobson1958

I had a 2013 Silverado Extended Cab 5.3 Z71 rated to 9600. I pulled a Passport 3180RE (about 7500 gvw) It was fine through steep grades in Arkansas and Tennessee. I upgraded trucks when I bought a Rockwood that was about 8600. the motor was fine but the suspension bouncy. The 5.3 is a great motor.
Jbrobson1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #18
Local150

is have a Silverado 1500 and 5.3 and pull a 29 foot 5th wheel,, pulls it real good and I am well within the weight guidelines. Never been to Rockies with it but been through smokies and no problem,,, but she likes her gas
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:01 PM   #19
B&T_NF-NY

We have a Summerland 2200MB, 26Ft over all, approx 5720lbs empty with just south of 1900lbs storage capacity (Always tried to minimize storage wt.) It was towed first by a 2016 5.3 chevy with the tow pkg , wt dist hitch. Fine on level grade but had to push it on a sustained incline. Other than that she handled fine. At the end of the lease we got the same truck only a 2019, Suggested towing capacity: 2016 ~ 10300 lbs, 2019 - dropped to somewhere around 9200 lbs. Haven't had her out yet this season to judge the difference. Plan on upgrading tires from LR C to D after this season (3 yrs old) for safety.
B&T_NF-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:20 AM   #20
racetech

Well, made my first trip with the new camper over the holiday. 900 mile round trip through KY and WV, with my quad in the bed, truck performed perfectly and camper pulled straight and smooth, even the ride was nice. I was able to comfortably maintain 65-70 and 60 up most steep inclines, only draw back was 8MPG most of the way but Ill take the fuel milage trade off for a nice comfortable upgrade over my old pop up!

Tags
silverado