Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2019, 04:34 AM   #1
racetech

Cleaning awnings and canvas need ideas

Looking for a good product to help remove dirt and mildew from canvas tent ends on my recently purchased hybrid. Also the awning is gonna need a good scrubbing. I think this thing sat opened up for a year or 2 at a rv park or something, looks like it was under trees. Just bought it and need to give it a good cleaning.
racetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:03 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd try 1/4 cup blue Dawn (dish soap) and 1/4 cup of Clorox bleach mixed in 1 gallon of hot water. Spread liberally over the TOP of the awning, roll it up, let it sit for 2 hours, unroll and brush as needed. Rinse well and apply Aerospace 303 to the top and bottom surface.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:18 AM   #3
racetech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'd try 1/4 cup blue Dawn (dish soap) and 1/4 cup of Clorox bleach mixed in 1 gallon of hot water. Spread liberally over the TOP of the awning, roll it up, let it sit for 2 hours, unroll and brush as needed. Rinse well and apply Aerospace 303 to the top and bottom surface.
Thanks ill try that on the awning. Im worried about using any kid of bleach on the canvas as i've heard it weakens the stitching. Which seems plausible. And I do have 303 protectant
Old 04-09-2019, 06:28 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Every Tee shirt and every pillow case are "sewn with thread" and washed regularly with bleach. They stay together, at least at our house they do....

Not being contrite, but using properly diluted Clorox is beneficial to removing stains. Using "too much" can and will destroy not only the thread used to sew an awning but also the awning fabric. This is one time to remember that 1/4 cup per gallon is beneficial, 1 cup per gallon may cause more damage than it does benefit.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-09-2019, 06:36 AM   #5
racetech

Quote:
Every Tee shirt and every pillow case are "sewn with thread" and washed regularly with bleach. They stay together, at least at our house they do....

Not being contrite, but using properly diluted Clorox is beneficial to removing stains. Using "too much" can and will destroy not only the thread used to sew an awning but also the awning fabric. This is one time to remember that 1/4 cup per gallon is beneficial, 1 cup per gallon may cause more damage than it does benefit.

Good reminder. I guess it just shows how easy it is to take stuff you read online to heart lol. Ill add some bleach and do a test cleaning see how it does. Thank you
Old 04-09-2019, 07:30 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by racetech View Post
Good reminder. I guess it just shows how easy it is to take stuff you read online to heart lol. Ill add some bleach and do a test cleaning see how it does. Thank you
Yup, just this morning I ran across an article that said, "Don't use Phillips screwdrivers because they strip out and destroy Phillips screws" and then I saw an article that said, "Keystone builds the worst trailers" and right behind that was one that said, "Keystone builds the best trailers".... Imagine that LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-09-2019, 07:38 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
I think that you will find that the mold and mildew will rot the stitching faster than the diluted bleach could ever harm it. After cleaning be sure that all fabric is dry before rolling up or closing. X2 on what John said on treating with 303 after cleaning. Travel safely and enjoy your new to you trailer, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:42 AM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Yup, just this morning I ran across an article that said, "Don't use Phillips screwdrivers because they strip out and destroy Phillips screws" and then I saw an article that said, "Keystone builds the worst trailers" and right behind that was one that said, "Keystone builds the best trailers".... Imagine that LOL
John, I think you have too much time on your hands. Spring is coming, and the bass will be calling your name soon.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:46 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Reading through responses, I think it's important to identify some SIGNIFICANT differences in "then" and "now"....

Just a few years ago, awnings were made of cotton canvas and sewn with cotton thread. Then along came polyester and "poly-cotton" awning fabric and polyester thread. Then along came acrylic awning fabric and nylon thread and now vinyl coated fabric and synthetic thread..... Clorox wasn't "the best" on some older awning fabrics.....

There are some very different products in the "evolution of the RV awning" and many of those "don't use bleach" stories are likely dated around the time of cotton canvas or poly-cotton awnings. So, not only "verify the article's validity" but also "remember to look at WHEN it was written"......

Reminds me of an old saying that I still use: "REAL aeroplanes have propedders and smash bugs" Times have changed, so have awnings (and aeroplanes).....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-09-2019, 07:50 AM   #10
travelin texans

I think the soap/bleach mixture is a great idea on the vinyl roll up awning & the vinyl pull out tops, but it might be a bit strong on the canvas ends. The canvas has some sort of sealer to make it somewhat water proof so wondering what that strong of bleach mix may do to it. I'd try it in an inconspicuous spot before using it all over the ends. I'd probably just use the Dawn or Simple Green on the ends.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:57 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
John, I think you have too much time on your hands. Spring is coming, and the bass will be calling your name soon.
We're leaving Monday, headed south, then west. Plans are to visit the new great grand daughter (now 7 weeks old) then to Memphis for BBQ, then west to the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas, Edwards AFB and then northeast to SLC and depending on the weather, who knows where we'll wind up..... There's still about 12-18 inches of "white stuff" on the ground, so the lawn probably won't need cutting until mid June/early July, so......... We're skipping "opening weekend of bass season" this year and won't get up to our favorite fishin' hole until mid July. I don't worry about it being "fished out".... There's only a couple of people who ever fish for bass, most are into the trout or blue gill population.... Little do they know, eh?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-09-2019, 08:24 AM   #12
Alpine

Talking

Just to add to the "what I've read on line".... they say... "do not use dishwashing soap on anything rubber as it is a strong de-greasing agent and will dry out rubber products." I dunno… maybe, maybe not, you decide!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #13
ChuckS

Dawn and bleach as suggested above is the best. Also the bleach will aid in preventing mildew from returning as quickly in the future.

Been using this mix for over 40 years. Never had and threads or fabric degrade from its use.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #14
travelin texans

I just reread through all these suggestions & it just soaked in, a 1/4 cup of Dawn in a "gallon" of water is a LOT of soap, in 5 gallons of water would still be plenty of soap! Not sure you could ever get that much rinsed out of the canvas, the vinyl it would run off.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:20 AM   #15
racetech

Well they do say one drop and grease is gone lol. I think ill just add a couple squirts to 5 gallons and adjust accordingly.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:57 AM   #16
gearhead

I just read about using Tilex on the awning. The usual "spray it, roll it up" routine.
I think it was on that other RV forum several of us are on. I'd go searching for ya but I've got one foot out the door.
Maybe travelin Texans will search it for ya. He's "over there" too.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:17 AM   #17
racetech

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I just read about using Tilex on the awning. The usual "spray it, roll it up" routine.
I think it was on that other RV forum several of us are on. I'd go searching for ya but I've got one foot out the door.
Maybe travelin Texans will search it for ya. He's "over there" too.

Do you mean the other site ran by the same folks that run this one? If so im a member there.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #18
gearhead

Quote:
Do you mean the other site ran by the same folks that run this one? If so im a member there.
RV.net Probably in 5th wheel section.
Just back from a visit to my Ram dealer. Recall on the nut that secures the drag link. They torqued and tack welded it in 20 minutes total time.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:27 PM   #19
gearhead

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...g/1/page/1.cfm
Old 04-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #20
racetech

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post

Good read, thank you for looking it up!