Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2019, 06:12 PM   #1
mmp227628

Towing a Passport 2400BH or Bullet 243BHS with a Suburban

New TT owner (almost) - about to purchase a Passport 2400BH or Bullet 243BHS. I'm interested in hearing if anyone has any experience towing either of these (or similarly sized TTs) with a Chevy Suburban. In particular, my TV is only equipped with the 3.08 differential. I have read extensively on these forums on recommendations related to hauling a TT of this size only with a pickup truck or with a full size SUV with the max towing packages installed, however I'm interested in hearing about people who tow these types of TTs with a Suburban/Yukon, potentially with the light-duty towing package. Also, any opinions on either of these models would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
mmp227628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:31 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. You don't give many specifics about your truck...which you need to do. GAWR, GVW, Payload, year, wheelbase etc.

That said, a 3.08 is not a towing axle. In my experience it's what was in a sedan meant for highway driving - not towing. You're talking about 7000lb trailers to put behind that vehicle. Did the truck even come with a receiver capable of carrying a 1000 lb. tongue weight??? Without further info all I see is a big red STOP!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:38 PM   #3
mmp227628

Thanks for your response. I'm primarily interested in towing experiences by owners of Suburbans/Yukons. I've done the math and I'm within limits that I'm comfortable with for my TV.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:01 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

One "Suburban/Yukon" is not the same as the next "Suburban/Yukon". There are extreme differences in their capabilities; all based on the numbers I suggested you provide. Without those no one can help you meaningfully. If you're comfortable with a 3.08 pulling 7k....then you "don't know what you don't know". Without providing any information I'm assuming you're not interested in "real" feedback?? Not being ugly, you just have to provide something a member can reference.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:27 AM   #5
busterbrown

OP,

Welcome and congrats with the purchase of your future coach.

Danny is right when it comes to the variation of how these SUV's are optioned out. Knowing what year, what motor, what trim line, which suspension, and the available payload of the truck in question is very important to receiving honest feedback.

I owned the Denali XL version of the Yukon with the 6.2L engine, 6 speed transmission, and 3.42 rear end. It pulled my Bullet nicely only after I upgraded to stiffer tires, larger sway bars, more robust brakes, and a 200 lb Hensley hitch. Unfortunately, the Hensley put me over on payload and I upgraded to the truck in my signature.

Personally. I'd stay away from the short wheel base Yukon with a trailer approaching 30 feet in length. The Suburban or Yukon XL are your best choices. I'd also suggest that any GM full size SUV come with the trailering package that includes rear air leveling, the larger rear end, and integrated brake controller. Because these SUVs are equipped with passenger tires, a worthy upgrade would be to install LT tires to help with the OEM soft rear suspension. The GM trucks with standard coils and pneumatic shocks are even softer.

Remember, if you're packing a large family inside these SUVs and hoping to pull a substantial trailer at the same time, you'll be pushing weights to capacity. Avoid the "been there done that" walk of shame that many of us experienced, including me. These trucks (and SUVs) aren't cheap. If you have the opportunity invest in a more capable TV, do it and save yourself from a lighter wallet in the long run.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #6
Bama Hammer

I have some good experience for you. First, I have a 2400BH started towing it with a Tahoe (5.3L and 3.42 rear end). Got a brake controller installed with a decent WDH and set out. I had no issues with power, you might have some problems with 3.08 rear end tho. After a summer I decided I didn't like the short wheelbase of the Tahoe and feeling the trailer push me around in medium winds or when being passed on the highway. So I swapped to a Silverado (5.3L and 3.08 rear end). This also swapped my problems.. I went from having no problem with power to watching my tranny temp like a hawk, especially in the hills of SD. But I was happy with the longer wheelbase and thus more stable platform of the Silverado. Fast forward to now and I just bought a 2500 Ram 6.4L gas burner so I will have the best of both worlds.

All that said you can probably make the numbers work to pull the trailer, I know I justified it to myself in the beginning. BUT I don't think you will enjoy the experience at all. You will wind up watching your RPMs spike on the smallest hill around, slowing down to keep the tranny from overtemping, and probably be blown around the road as soon as your off the county roads. Don't tow more than 80% of the allowance for your TV in my opinion and you will be at 95-105% of your allowable capacity.
Bama Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:12 PM   #7
MarkEHansen

mmp227628: Like many, many others, I was where you are. My trailer seemed to be an acceptable match to my TV based on the numbers, but it was close. Once I started pulling it, I realized I just didn't have enough truck to safely tow my trailer.

It seems you're looking for someone to tell you that they've towed successfully with your setup. It is possible (likely) you will be able to find more than a few of these. What you have to realize is the possibility that they've been able to do it due to luck rather than physics.

There are many people on these forums who only want to help you see the real nature of your setup. You are still free to do as you wish, but at least you will be better informed.

I would encourage you to provide Sourdough the information he was asking. He's only trying to help you.

Congratulations on your decision to purchase a camper and welcome to the club! I hope you have many happy years.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:23 PM   #8
FlyingAroundRV

FWIW, here's my 20 cents (inflation) worth.
I had my TT picked out (272UFL max #7600) and that wasn't going to change. I had my sights on a 150/1500/Tundra as that was good for my budget. Then I went on the forums here and the truck forums and asked the question; Will this be OK. The answers were varied but mostly along the lines of what people have already posted here. The advice I got was "go to at least a 250/2500 truck".
GRRR! That meant spending another $10K on the truck for our rig! Not happy!
But, I did it. I bit the bullet and spent the extra $$$.
When we go down the road, I hardly think about the trailer unless we're on a narrow winding road. The wind and the semis still push us around a bit, but not much more than when we're bob-tailing. In any case it's a looong way from white knuckle stuff towing our COW (Cubby On Wheels).
Lesson: I took the advice of the wiser/experienced heads, like Danny and John here and still feel it was money well spent. Going from A to B for us is a joy, not a chore.
Be safe, and have fun.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:04 AM   #9
travelin texans

Don't know if they still offer the 3/4 ton Suburban, if you need a big people mover that would be the cats pajamas.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #10
mmp227628

Thanks all for the responses. Some additional info. I’m not in the market for a pickup truck, nor would I trade this vehicle out for a 10 year old 2500 suburban - that’s just not in the cards. I may consider a trade to a version of suburban or expedition with a tow package (more competent rear end) in the future, but to be honest from a lot of what I read on these forums, people seem to suggest that may not make a great deal of difference (3.08 vs 3.42 suburban for example). I understand hills may be a challenge. I plan on spending almost all of our time towing in the upper midwest, so significant, prolonged inclines just are not going to be something we experience.

As for specifics on my TV: I have a payload capacity of 1617, GVWR of 7500, GCWR of 12000, GWR FRT 3600 and GAWR RR of 4200. It seems like a pontential tire swap (from 265/65/18 to 255/60/18 (XL rated) may help somewhat with both load handling and somewhat as it relates to differential ratio. Also I would add a trans cooler. Thanks again.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:33 AM   #11
MarkEHansen

There are a lot of posts on this forum which talk about the best way to determine whether or not you are exceeding any limits. The point of my response, below, is to encourage you to have a look so you can make a well-informed decision.

Selecting the correct combination involves more than whether or not the tow vehicle will be able to pull the load up a hill. In broad strokes, it involves the ability to pull the load without over-stressing the vehicle, being able to stop the load without over-stressing the brakes and being able to handle the load in normal as well as emergency conditions - but there are others (like weight on the tires, etc.).

For example, your TV has a max payload of 1617. This is the capacity as the truck was delivered from the factory. You have to subtract from this anything else you have added to the truck, like the trailer hitch (around 100 lbs), after-market parts, cargo, people, fuel, etc. as well as the tongue weight of the trailer.

Then there's the GCWR of 12000. Your TV's GVWR of 7500 assumes you've not loaded it past it's limits. Combine that with the GVWR of the trailer (in the case of the 240BH, that's 7000 lbs). 7500 + 7000 = 14,500 lbs. This is above the stated GCWR of the TV.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:28 AM   #12
Logan X

I agree 100% with what Mark Hansen posted.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:30 AM   #13
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Hammer View Post
I have some good experience for you. First, I have a 2400BH started towing it with a Tahoe (5.3L and 3.42 rear end). Got a brake controller installed with a decent WDH and set out. I had no issues with power, you might have some problems with 3.08 rear end tho. After a summer I decided I didn't like the short wheelbase of the Tahoe and feeling the trailer push me around in medium winds or when being passed on the highway. So I swapped to a Silverado (5.3L and 3.08 rear end). This also swapped my problems.
Quick diversion. A while ago I posted about swapping my Silverado for a Tahoe. I got a bunch of opinions but none from people who had actually done it.
Thanks, this is just what I was looking for. I'll keep my Silverado w/ factory 3.42 gears and Trailer Tow package.
Good web forum.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:36 PM   #14
Ccrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Don't know if they still offer the 3/4 ton Suburban, if you need a big people mover that would be the cats pajamas.
Chevy still makes them, but the general public unfortunately can't buy them. For instance if you look at the Suburbans the Secret Service use they're predominantly all 3/4 ton.
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:25 AM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
Chevy still makes them, but the general public unfortunately can't buy them. For instance if you look at the Suburbans the Secret Service use they're predominantly all 3/4 ton.
Wouldn't that be cool to find a used one for tv!! Blacked out bullet proof glass, side handles for hanging onto the running boards, the kids would have a ball. People would think you're taking the president camping.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:48 AM   #16
Ccrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Wouldn't that be cool to find a used one for tv!! Blacked out bullet proof glass, side handles for hanging onto the running boards, the kids would have a ball. People would think you're taking the president camping.
Yeah it would! I actually was looking for one, because I knew they used to make them, that's how I found out that tidbit of knowledge. If my feeble brain serves me right from my research 2013 was the last year for public availability so they're still out there not tremendously old on the used market.

Looks though like fleet only. Proud of that pricing! https://www.gmfleet.com/chevrolet/su...-duty-suv.html
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:28 AM   #17
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
Yeah it would! I actually was looking for one, because I knew they used to make them, that's how I found out that tidbit of knowledge. If my feeble brain serves me right from my research 2013 was the last year for public availability so they're still out there not tremendously old on the used market.

Looks though like fleet only. Proud of that pricing! https://www.gmfleet.com/chevrolet/su...-duty-suv.html

It also says it has a 4400 lb payload but only a 3,000 lb trailer towing capacity? Huh?
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:08 PM   #18
JYR

My response to your post

Why do people ask for answers and post then completely get upset when more experienced rv people with many years of experiences try to help out the newbies, and they turn around and get upset when we all are looking out for their safety in towing and trying to protect the safety of their loved ones, and they turn around and bash the people trying to help. If they know so much why are they asking for our help. Because no matter as we try to direct them to their best interests they bash us WHY? Is my question
JYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:12 PM   #19
JYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmp227628 View Post
Thanks for your response. I'm primarily interested in towing experiences by owners of Suburbans/Yukons. I've done the math and I'm within limits that I'm comfortable with for my TV.
Why do people ask for answers and post then completely get upset when more experienced rv people with many years of experiences try to help out the newbies, and they turn around and get upset when we all are looking out for their safety in towing and trying to protect the safety of their loved ones, and they turn around and bash the people trying to help. If they know so much why are they asking for our help. Because no matter as we try to direct them to their best interests they bash us WHY? Is my question
Old 02-24-2019, 07:13 PM   #20
JYR

My question to you

Tags
2400bh, bullet, passport, tow, towing