Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2024, 10:28 AM   #1
gregice1958

Leaking slideouts

Hello. I have 3 slide outs on my 2012 Keystone Outback. All three leak when it rains and it seems that the 7 and 12 footers leak down in the corner and then spread. I have used a clear epoxy that was recommended up top along the seams but to no avail. I have humidifiers throughout the coach because of the condensation build up on the windows and especially the wardrobe slider. I even run a heater at night now so the condensation is controlled and I run a fan and heater over the affected areas. Everyone says use the white snow roofing stuff, which I will in the spring but I guess my help question concerns Do sliders typically need sealing, and could it be the windows that are leaking? Any help/suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you, Greg
gregice1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 10:45 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

What type of slide? It may be the sweeper seals that have failed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 04:02 AM   #3
gregice1958

Hi again Chuck. Thanks for answering. I'm not sure what type of slide. The 7' is where the 2 recliners sit and the 12' is the couch/dinette slide. The odd thing is they leak from the outer most part of the slide corner. The sweeper seal is the one at the coach, right. Are those common to leak? I've lived in it for over 2 years and have never retracted either one. It is probably a good 1st step. It's rainy season here in Southern Oregon, so is that a huge undertaking to replace or can it be done in a reasonable amount of time in the rain? Thanks again for the help Chuck. Greg
Old 01-19-2024, 06:47 AM   #4
jxnbbl

Different trailer, etc but my situation....last year when sitting on the couch in St. Augustine for I believe the first time in a torrential downpour...we noticed water trickling on the floor and found some wet "wallpaper" bubbling, etc. This was in the far front corner, below our kitchenette bench. Took 2 tries to stop it over the next week as it rained off/on. The bottom line was both large window seals were leaking although you would never guess it from an inspection. Water travels in weird ways so keep an open mind to the entry.

In my case we took both large windows out of the trailer and resealed them. The root cause was the window hole in the slide was too large and the window "settled" in such a way that the standard seal didn't work. We 'shimmed' the window from the bottom to center/equalize the space around it. Resealed with the new foamcore and then a clear sealant on the upper 3 sides of the windows.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 10:12 AM   #5
gregice1958

Thank you very much. That makes sense, the whole settling thing. Im finding out that Keystone arent the greatest made. Lots of corner cuts. You makes perfect sense. Thanks again. Greg
Old 01-19-2024, 01:12 PM   #6
bobbecky

We had leaks years ago from the end windows of our slides. Water was getting through between the window frame and the surface of the outer slide wall. The sealant had shrunk just enough that there was a paper thin gap that allowed water to get in to the wall cavity and migrated under the wall into the carpet of the slides. I finally got some silicone caulk and sealed around all the slide windows and have never had any more leaks
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 08:02 PM   #7
gregice1958

I love you. I'm watching and diagnosing and no way it's this or that. I can't believe this a possibility, but I do. Thank you so much. Greg
Old 01-25-2024, 08:14 PM   #8
yocsr

Slide Leak

Our slide leak on our 38ft Hideout was the window seals. The slide windows do not have weep holes. I siliconed around the rubber seal and drilled weep holes in the frame and the leak stopped.
yocsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 10:26 AM   #9
gregice1958

Thank you. I was actually considering doing that 1st before spending the money to resealing the roof and removing the windows to reseal them. Thank you again. Greg
Old 01-26-2024, 12:04 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by yocsr View Post
Our slide leak on our 38ft Hideout was the window seals. The slide windows do not have weep holes. I siliconed around the rubber seal and drilled weep holes in the frame and the leak stopped.
Are they “frame less” windows?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, slide, slideout