Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Recalls
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2019, 02:21 AM   #1
CWtheMan

Bearings

https://www.rvtravel.com/keystone-re...2019-trailers/
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:24 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Grand designs issued the same recall.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:43 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

This recall is not yet on the Keystone website, and according to the NHTSA website, the models affected are:
Makes/Models/Model Years:
DUTCHMEN/AEROLITE/2019
DUTCHMEN/ATLAS/2019
KEYSTONE/BULLET/2019
KEYSTONE/COUGAR/2019
KEYSTONE/HIDEOUT/2019
KEYSTONE/OUTBACK/2019
KEYSTONE/PASSPORT/2019
KEYSTONE/SPRINGDALE/2019

The recall is scheduled to start January 20, so it may not appear on the Keystone website until that date.

This is the second recent recall for "assembly issues with axles". The first was missing bearing cups on Dexter axles and now this one for "lack of inner bearing grease"... I haven't seen the axle manufacturer named in any of the information I can find about this recall which is # Keystone18-340.

During assembly, Keystone "has not in the past" inspected the axles before installation. Typically, the chassis rails come in "upside down", bottom wiring and plumbing components are installed, coroplast is installed, axles are hung and then the chassis is "turned upright" and assembly continues. Other than a quick "cursory" inspection, I don't know of any "axle serviceability inspection" that's done. I'd suppose it's "expected" that the axles are delivered to the factory "lubed, adjusted and ready to install"....

Whether Keystone is going to "simply backcharge the axle manufacturer" for the cost of the recall or whether they are going to add inspection steps either at the factory or at the dealer PDI, who knows....

This should have been (and ought to be) a discussion item for any RV purchaser when negotiating the purchase of an RV. IMHO, too many people "assume" the dealer is going to grease the bearings and adjust the brakes. In reality, few, maybe even most dealerships don't even check the tire pressure on the PDI. What happens, too often, is the new owner gets "handed an unknown with a warranty".... If something happens, bring it back, if not, have fun....

Hopefully that will change, but I wouldn't hold my breath.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:49 AM   #4
Stircrazy

hows this any different from the 2016 model, I had 3 out of my 4 fail on the first trip.....

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:41 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post
hows this any different from the 2016 model, I had 3 out of my 4 fail on the first trip.....

Steve
It may be the same, it may be entirely different. I don't know how, in 2019, someone can validate the condition of bearing grease on a 2016 model that was likely purchased in 2015. Trying to inspect the condition of a product 4 years after the fact is difficult at best and impossible without access to Keystone's data from their warranty repair records, something I doubt they'll ever release to the public....

Have you (or did you) identify the problem at the time to both Keystone and NHSTA? What documentation was sent to Keystone and what was the outcome?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:47 AM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post

Steve
Not sure I'd want the factory guy or the dealer servicing the bearings. Mine had all 4 brakes full of grease from someone, not me, using the EZ Lube system either at the factory or dealership & all 4 replaced at about 5k miles.
No way is a dealer voluntarily going the tear a new rv done to inspect the bearings/brakes, if anything they'll do exactly as they did mine & pump them full of grease & roll it out the door.
As mentioned the frames come into the factory upside down, all tanks, wiring & most of the plumbing is done, next there's a huge pile of axles with springs attached that are bolted up to the frame hopefully assembled correctly by the axle manufacturer, the frame is then flipped over & rv built upwards.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:55 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

For about a year, pretty much every trailer we got from the factory had grease on the rims. LCI axles and the grease seals had failed making the shoes look like frosted cupcakes. As I recall it was the 4200lb axles.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote