Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #21
f6bits

I’d like to install the Steadyfast. If it’s still bouncy, then I’d opt for another set of stabilizers mounted as close to center as possible.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #22
Str8shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno4 View Post
You are too funny!! Hope you like your bouncy trailer. Get some bottle jacks under your springs and your knees will thank you!
Burno4, you silly negative boy. You still don't get it! Geez, I never said your bottle jacks wouldn't work for me, nor did I say it wasn't working for you either. Yet, you continue to infer my SteadyFast setup doesn't work for me. Hang in there pal, tell me enough times I don't know what I'm talking about and just maybe I'll start to believe you. Oh, my knees are just fine thank you.

Again, REALLY! Put down the other guy because his method is different from yours or costs more than yours? Not surprising, however. I just clicked on your username and read your posts; a bit of a naysayer (def: habitually expresses negative or pessimistic views) then a positive contributor to the forum. Was an eye opener for me but now I understand where you're coming from.

Bottom line: We have a wonderful camper, not cheap by any means, so investing (there's an idea) another $350 for a permanent, fast and easy stabilizing system that works very well (there I go lyin' to ya again) was an easy choice. I can't say SteadyFast will work for everyone. Had I spent the money and effort and the system didn't work I would not hesitate to share that view here, either.

Have fun.

Rick & Carol
16k Pullrite SuperGlide w/SuperRails
2011 Polaris Ranger XP 800
Str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #23
mr.windows1

Since our trailer is brand new and have not been camping yet will the steadyfast system be nessasary for coaches with the 6 point leveling system? I know in our TT the movement drove us crazy I was under the impression that the 6 points would really help in this matter anyone have experiance with this yet
2011 Ford F-350 Lariat SRW
6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
Reese Pro Series Slider
mr.windows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #24
Str8shooter

I'm uncertain if you will benefit from the Steadyfast System. . .I will say however, the Montana fifth wheel you have is dandy! The Ford 6.7L diesel is a great TV also.

You might benefit by giving Paul Hanscom the company owner and engineer behind the Steadyfast product a call. Their web site, www.steadyfast.com/ has the contact info. I purchased my set up directly from Mr. Hanscom here in Bakersfield, CA a year ago at an RV and outdoor show. I believe he is the kind of person who will give you an honest, straight forward answer whether or not your coach will benefit from the system. I asked all sorts of questions before buying and he was most willing to answer each one. You get impressions when you spend a bit of time with people and I found Mr. Hanscom to be genuine and very helpful.

Again, wonderful 5'er you have there and I hope you have many great memories from your travels with it.

Rick & Carol
16k Pullrite SuperGlide w/SuperRails
2011 Polaris Ranger XP 800
Str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #25
mr.windows1

Thanks Str8Shooter,cant wait to get her out and test all the bells and whistles so to speak i will check the steadyfast system out and call with my questions
6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
Reese Pro Series Slider
Old 02-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #26
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.windows1 View Post
Since our trailer is brand new and have not been camping yet will the steadyfast system be nessasary for coaches with the 6 point leveling system? I know in our TT the movement drove us crazy I was under the impression that the 6 points would really help in this matter anyone have experiance with this yet
Str8shooter gave you some good advice.

Let me add that you really don't need to make a firm decision (and purchase) about added stabilization before you take it out camping. An add-on like this isn't an absolute necessity anyway, and since you're getting the 6 point auto-leveling system, it may be prudent to use the trailer a bit to see if you feel you need the SteadyFast system.

I know we need it on our rig, but we don't the auto-level system. We used the trailer for a week or so before putting it away for the winter so we were able to see for ourselves if it was needed before buying.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #27
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.windows1 View Post
Hello Mr.windows1, our 6 point level up system is fantastic as we are in AZ at the present time using it. There is very little movement inside the trailer. Be sure you read instructions very carefully when unhooking and then pressing the auto level as trailer will dip in the front end to start the leveling process. Happy Campin.........Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:53 AM   #28
mr.windows1

Thank guys, I did briefly get a chance to use the 6 point system while it was home while we were loading our things into the new coach it seemed very stable but then again I wasnt just sitting in it when you would really be able to tell.I did find myself using manual mode the short time it was here before we put her to sleep it is quite the system and im sure i will learn more when we get her out, thanks for all the advice, it is very valueable as it is real world advice!!
6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
Reese Pro Series Slider
Old 02-09-2012, 06:33 AM   #29
SAABDOCTOR

HI MR.WINDOWS! I WOULD HOLD OFF ON THE STEADY FAST TILL YOU USE IYOU 5ER AND SEE IF YOU NEED IT. I DO NOT HAVE THE 6 POINT LEVEL SYSTEM (RATS) BUT WITH THE TRIPOD UP FRONT IT DID NOT MOVE TO MUCH! I HATE THE TRIPOD SO I BOUGHT A STEADY FAST. BUT I WAS IN A 6 POINT AT THE DEALERSHIP AND IT SURE FELT ROCKSOILD! SO MABY WITH SOME LUCK YOU CAN PUT THAT MONEY INTO ANOTHER ADVENTURE. BARNEY
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #30
2011 keystone

Igor4 & bruno4 Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #31
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 keystone View Post
Igor4 & bruno4 Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
My little moderator fingers can only work so fast. And Steve thanks for the heads up.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #32
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
My little moderator fingers can only work so fast. And Steve thanks for the heads up.
Sadly, I fear we've still not heard the last of him.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #33
reubenray

Jim & Kay,

How was the install on your Cougar? We picked up our 291 yesterday and I looked at the underbelly good today. I could not see where to bolt onto the frame without having to cut the underbelly. Am I looking at the wrong locations?
Old 03-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #34
Jim & Kay

No Reuben, I did not have to cut any part of the underbelly. The system comes with great instructions, I'm sure you won't have any problem with the installation. I installed the rear parts first but don't think it would matter,if you installed the front parts first. I installed mine with 6" blocks under the rear jacks and plan to carry the blocks with me, couldn't see extending the rear jacks all the way to the ground. The blocks did not change the rock solid stability with the Steadyfast.

HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU
Jim, Kay, & Our Furry Kids
2012 Cougar HC 5er 291RLS aka "Rt 66 B&B"
2008 Toyota Tundra aka "The Hoss" 4X4 Limited DC 5.7 L
6 S Tranny w/TowHaul 4.30 RG 20" tires
Firestone Airbags w/compressor
16K Superglide hitch

Lovers of Route 66
Jim & Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:20 AM   #35
reubenray

I looked again and I "do not see the frame". My Cougar has the Polar Express underbelly insulation so am wondering if this is different than yours.

In my post above yours I left out the word "not".
Old 03-13-2012, 04:53 AM   #36
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I looked again and I "do not see the frame". My Cougar has the Polar Express underbelly insulation so am wondering if this is different than yours.

In my post above yours I left out the word "not".
There are a number of threads on the underbelly cover that tell all about dropping a portion of it to do things like add the SteadyFast system.

Search on "coroplast" without the quotes, too, as that is the correct name for the material.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:40 AM   #37
Tim&Patty

SteadyFast Attachment

Reuben,
Trust me there is a frame and if ya look in the right places you'll find it. In the front both propane tanks on the bottom open to the frame (any leaking gas sinks and exits outside) that part of the visible frame will be one of your attaching points (I believe Jim went from the drivers side frame to the passenger side foot plate, I went the other way) On the rear the stair opening and the bumper attchement are visible access along with opening the slide gives you a great view. Another hint is the coroplast is attached on the inside of the I-beam with the body skirting screwed to the outside.

The instructions are good, RHDW loved them, me being the typical Anal Retentive Alpha Male doesn't read instructions (nor maps or ask for directions) found the pictures perfect

Instead of oil for the screws I used LocTite on the threads, 1/2 electric drill (I only use battery powered for wood projects around the house) FACE SHIELD a must, long straws = saves job time, didn't have to roll out from under her for my 2 drilled holes=1 cold beverage. Heck with a 3 hour install, took me two days

Tim & Patty (RHDW Red Head Dear Wife)
Riley (Monster Yorkie)

2011 High Country 291RLS, SteadyFast, XM Radio, Awning Sun Shade.

2011 Ford F-150 Platinum, 6.2L, Max Tow Package
Voliant Ram Air, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Hypertech Chip, On Board Lift Bags, Anzo Projector Headlights & LED Tailights, Pace Rolling Padded Hard Cover.
Reese 16K Slider
Tim&Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #38
Dutch & Di

Keep in mind that the Level up and the Big Foot are just that-leveling systems.
They DO offer some stabilization but for us it was not enough and we continue to use our plug it right stabilizers. Before BF we were quite stable. After BF install we were somewhat stable but not enough for Mama to be happy and you know what happens when "Mamma Ain't Happy" so the stabilizers went back on. The only time we use any type of chock if if we are unlevel ground. Di
Old 03-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #39
hankaye

Howdy All;

Pulled the trigger, ordered my Steady-fast Thursday. Supposed to be here Monday. Ordered the set with extra feets.
Got some freh batteries for my DeWalt drill. the old ones were 9 years old and would have a hard time pullin' knotted string outta a wildcat's a&& with a 50 yard head start... .
The Parl manager is going to drag his weilder down to my site to attach the rear frame mount to the sliding rack's slide frame like 66ken did here;

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...?t=4262&page=2

Should have'er done sometime next week..

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #40
hankaye

Howdy All;

Seems the weilder isn't as portable as we thought ...

So, I'm just going to have it done (weilded), the day before I leave to
return to Utah. To much hassel taken down and puttin' up the skirting,
and un-hooking and re-hooking the trailer for a 10 minute weilding job
... just to do it all again for the trip. Should be the last week in April.

I promise to take pix and post'em.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote