Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2015, 04:25 AM   #1
SkiSmuggs

Cable Slide Adjustments

Is anyone else having issues with the cables going out of adjustment? I have had my dealer readjust twice when my LR slide started binding. Then, on a 2 month trip, I had to do it myself. What I found was that the thing on the end of the adjusters had disappeared allowing them to work loose. I also had a problem keeping the cable rod from turning while tightening the adjusting nut so I couldn't get it as tight as needed. Pliers didn't keep it from spinning.

Also, there is a single cable from the motor that goes to the T bar that has the upper/lower cables where the adjusting is done. The single has a lock nut that is loose and I can't see any rod thread in the adjusting nut leaving me to believe that it is backing out. Once that single cable comes loose, there is nothing holding the slide on that side. I am taking it to the dealer soon to have it adjusted again and will point out that concern.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:28 AM   #2
slow

This is how I overcame my cable issues:

* I purchased an inexpensive 7/16" combination wrench and modified both ends to allow it to work on the cable adjustment lock nuts. I cut out a section of the box end so it would fit over the threads of the adjustment screw that is on the end of the chain and connects to the block to which the cables are attached. On the open end, I narrowed the wrench. This wrench now allows me to tighten the locknuts properly and as conveniently as is possible when working in a small space.

* I replaced a few of the white foam pieces that ensure the nuts on the cable ends do not turn. Note that they are molded with a hex cavity to engage with the nut, so the nut has to be rotated to a position that the hex cavity can fit over the nut. A few of mine where not engaged properly from the factory and were deformed. They had become rounded, not hex so I was not sure if they were still able to prevent the nut from rotating.

* On one side of the slide, the pulley mount was flexing the wall of the TT when it would hit the end of the slides travel. I replaced the small footprint wood spacer with a thinner (1/4") aluminum spacer that extends to the top tube in the wall and down to the top tube of the slide opening. By reducing the spacer thickness, the cables no longer rub on the inside of the vertical channel.

Photos of the modified wrench as well as the original factor pulley mount and the one I replaced it with are here: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/album.php?albumid=730

Since I made the modifications last spring I estimate the slide has been opened and closed approximately 30 times. The slack has gone from the recommended 1/2" to almost 3/4" during this time without any adjustments. So I am happy that cable adjustment will now only be part of my spring prep.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:44 AM   #3
SkiSmuggs

Thanks for the reply and photos. Did you make the foam blocks yourself or purchase them from somewhere?

Since you posted the slack specs, I take it that you have a manual for the slide system? I just saw your other post: http://www.norcoind.com/bal/download...ice-manual.pdf

When I realized that I needed to adjust the cables, I bought a small step ladder from Walmart for access above the LR slide. I figured it would come in handy if the slide motor failed and I needed to operate manually.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
Thanks for the reply and photos. Did you make the foam blocks yourself or purchase them from somewhere? ............
Because of the hex cavity in the foam blocks, I had no way to make them.

I purchased the foam blocks along with a few sets of the grommet that prevents the cable end from disengaging from the brackets attached to the slide walls. I also purchased two sets of the rubber pads that are on the outside of the TT that the slide brackets contact when the slide is closed. One was damaged because one of the brackets was at an angle when installed at the factory and the cables were way out of adjustment, thereby loading one pad significantly. Being in Canada, it was a pain to get a local dealer willing to track down the parts for me. I paid a premium for the parts for his inconvenience! Hopefully your dealer will treat you more fairly.

As for access, I can access one side of the slide for adjustment. But the opposite side has the fridge next to it. That combined with with the low ceiling, forced me to remove the top trim of the slide to modify the cable pulley mounts. So when I reassembled the trim after I made the change, I reassembled the trim with screws that I was able to hide behind some of the trim components. So accessing the cables for adjustment is a quick and easy process now.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:12 AM   #5
TomHaycraft

Same topic, possibly over on RV.NET (or another topic area here?). Not having seen these systems, only read about folks who have issues with them, got me searching the web.

Good for the BAL Accu-Slide system.
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote