Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2018, 03:04 PM   #1
SkiSmuggs

Keystone Fifth Wheels

We will be going into our 7th season with our 2012 Cougar High Country and are starting to look at moving up. The Cougar has held up fairly well after replacing some standard components like suspension and shelves and has over 40K miles on it.
In looking at the Keystone 5th Wheel line, I see Avalanch, Fuzion and Raptor in the Premium line up and am not interested in the High Country. So what differentiates the 3 lines? I find the site slow and a little difficult to use, but the Avalanch 320 looks like just what I want. Is there a summary of the different lines somewhere? I am looking for something no more than 36' and 15K GVWR.
In Jayco, I like the Eagle and Grand Design either Reflection or lighter Solitudes for trips of 4-12 weeks.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:47 PM   #2
Mootana

Keystone 5ths

Fuzion and Raptor are toy hauler type. The Avalanche is the lower line for the Alpine brand.

Why do you not like the Montana High Country models?

Montana does make a 3121RL and 3120RL that fits what you are looking for.

Good luck and happy camping

Mootana
Mootana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #3
SkiSmuggs

Great, that eliminates the Fuzion and Raptor. I have a Cougar High Country and although it has held up well, it is poorly insulated to save weight so I assume the same is true of the Montana HC. I will take a look at the Montana and Alpine to compare to the Avalanch 320 which is the floor plan DW and I really like.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
Great, that eliminates the Fuzion and Raptor. I have a Cougar High Country and although it has held up well, it is poorly insulated to save weight so I assume the same is true of the Montana HC. I will take a look at the Montana and Alpine to compare to the Avalanch 320 which is the floor plan DW and I really like.
Do not assume ~~ research.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:48 PM   #5
notanlines

"It is poorly insulated to save weight." I'm sure the engineers sat around over a cup of coffee and said that they'll skimp on the insulation to save a few pounds.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:16 PM   #6
Mootana

More about High Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
Dear SkiSmuggs
The High Country brand has went through a lot of changes since the original introduction. When Keystone introduced the "High Country" editions of Cougar and Montana the directive was to reduce weight. That has since changed. Cougar no longer offers "High Country".

When Montana discontinued the Mountainer brand, they combined the construction best practices with the High Country name. The directive is no longer to be designed around weight reduction. Insulation factors of the High Country is similar to Montana.

I hope this helps.

Mootana.
Mootana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:02 AM   #7
gearhead

I haven't had any insulation issues with our HC. I think it still has some weight saving build points though. I'm assuming the HC's still have a "sandwich" floor for weight saving. Ours has been diagnosed with a bowed floor on the curb side causing the slide to have trouble going in and out. I noticed they have gone to 8 lug hubs on new HC's.
We're looking to change sometime. Currently lean to GD Reflection, small Alpine, or Jayco Eagle; if we stay with a 5th wheel.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:42 PM   #8
goducks

If you're happy with Keystone products then I'd go all in on Montana. Great floor plans and styling. Best bang for the buck in that class.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:33 AM   #9
mazboy

If u are going to look at Montana and alpine, go with montana. Montana group has annual factory time in Sept at goshen...montana fits just about all issues there.
And over all good support with dealers....in my experience
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:42 AM   #10
gearhead

I believe the relationship between the factory and the dealerships is at least as important as the relationship between the customer and dealer. My perception, just based on internet reading and casual conversations among friends, is that Keystone's relationship with their dealers isn't the best. That is only in regard to ease of resolving customer repair issues. Other issues, I have no idea. And again, just anecdotal, but Grand Design seems to be more prompt and efficient to resolve issues.
My history with a Keystone mega size dealer with several "shops" in Texas has been painful.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 02-04-2018, 08:34 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Just my opinion, but from what I've seen around here, there are different relationships between dealerships and Keystone. Some have a "carte blanche" type of repair authorization, others, in the next town, have to spend hours documenting everything they claim under warranty.

I was talking to my dealer about that last summer. His thoughts on it are that it more or less, depends on "dealership greed". Just as each of us gets "wary" or "p!$$ed" when we go somewhere to buy something and they "nickel and dime us".

Some dealerships will claim significantly more time and materials than they use, hoping to "make a profit from Keystone" other dealerships are "straight up honest" with what they report (and charge) Keystone. It doesn't take very long for the area sales manager and the warranty department at Keystone to determine which dealerships to trust and pay what they report and which dealerships to watch closely and verify everything (AND I MEAN EVERYTHING) they request reimbursement for.

It goes further than payment. My dealer, who has an excellent relationship with Keystone, doesn't make "routine warranty repairs" wait for factory approval. He and the factory already know what will be approved so he just does that work and gets paid for it. Other dealerships, based on how they treat Keystone, have to request, fully document, send pictures and wait for approval for everthing they do....

So, that "major south Texas chain of dealerships" may well be on "Keystone's radar" as someone who's trying to cheat Keystone with fraudulent warranty repairs.....

Just as we "watch that employee who punches in late and corrects his time card, Keystone watches dealerships that "fudge the warranty repairs"......

I see examples of that on the forum "all the time".... One member will say, "I took my trailer to the dealer with a leaking window and he fixed it while I waited" and another member will say, "I took my trailer to the dealer with a leaking window and it's been there 3 months and he won't return my calls"..... Is that dealer "really that busy" or is he on Keystone's radar and waiting for the area sales manager to verify the leak before approving the repair ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:28 AM   #12
gearhead

Well said John. I'm thinking my dealer and Keystone need some professional relationship counseling.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 02-05-2018, 05:57 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

It’s getting harder by the week even for the “honest” dealerships to get reimbursed for time spent. Our warranty clerk tells me on a daily basis about the denials, even with photos and stories.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:02 AM   #14
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
My perception, just based on internet reading and casual conversations among friends, is that Keystone's relationship with their dealers isn't the best. That is only in regard to ease of resolving customer repair issues. Other issues, I have no idea. And again, just anecdotal, but Grand Design seems to be more prompt and efficient to resolve issues.
I agree with this substantially... Note, GD was purchased by Winnie, so things may change.

Grand Design will give you a lot more flexibility for who you can use with on the road repairs. Their forum is actively monitored, they care very much about their repair reputation.

That being said, IMHO - you'll pay more (compared to Keystone) for the better support and longer warranty term. Materials and construction is substantially the same across most brands. GD does have some innovative productions, like a toy hauler with a rear master bedroom over a 3/4 size garage...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:11 AM   #15
gearhead

My complicating issue is my mega dealer..they are the only game in town. Or drive to Dallas, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, or Louisiana.
We're keeping our eye on pplmotorhomes.com on how a swap for a super clean used one could work. Probably a ways down the road.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 02-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #16
dcg9381

I've been to PPL quite a bit. They're all consignment and definitely have some serious poop on the lot. So before you make that drive, contact a sales person and have him "walk it" for you. Units there with water itrusion so so obvious marked in "very good" shape.

They also make money via the inspection process, if I recall right...

The units are walked frequently (especially on weekends) - so getting one with fully charged batteries ready to PDI required a purchase contract and some other guarantees.

Not saying you can't get a deal there - that's not true - but just be ready to walk...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:05 PM   #17
SkiSmuggs

I am lucky to have an excellent Keystone dealer in Pete's RV. Is there much difference between Montana and Alpine? It's been a while since I looked at them. I remember the Montana 3120RL being the floor plan I liked with weights being around the limit of my F350 SRW.
I checked again and don't care for the floor plans of the 35' and under Alpines. They have the kink in the neck TV viewing that I am over. So in the Keystone line, just the Montana 3120RL at 35' and Avalanche 320RS that I like is over my desired 35' limit by a foot, but not a show stopper.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:30 PM   #18
gearhead

For some reason I always thought the Alpine was a cut above the Montana. Don't know where I got that though.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 02-09-2018, 05:30 AM   #19
BSHGTO

got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
For some reason I always thought the Alpine was a cut above the Montana. Don't know where I got that though.
Probably from he people that own them. Myrtle Beach 2017 Alpine owner next door talked his unit up and called my High country a entry level 5th wheel.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:43 AM   #20
NorskeBob

We have been enjoying our 2017 Avalanche 320RS. Has the layout we like and plenty of storage. First time with a 6 point leveling system and like it. Has worked well for long time stays - up to 2 months.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, keystone