Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2018, 11:56 AM   #1
keystonekamper

Siding Bending and Bowing

Hi All,

This is my first post here. We bought our RV in June of last year. Immediately, before we took it from the dealer, we noticed a dip in the outside paneling. Over time we also found 2 additional places where it was bowing outward. We were told by our dealer that the dip was a warranty issue and not a big deal. Now that we're trying to get it fixed, Keystone is saying (almost like a mantra) "We have not been presented with a manufacturing defect and will respectfully decline any repairs." I am so frustrated with them. I sent them the pictures that I've attached to this post. Basically, they're telling me that this is normal. Is that true? I've been checking out other RV's and am not seeing this kind of bending and bowing. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	15447   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	15448   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	15449  
keystonekamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:08 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Metal sheeting does expand when heated and contracts when cooled. The result is called "oil canning". That said, our Holiday Rambler was built in April in Indiana, inside a 70F building. When it arrived in Louisiana, the siding looked fairly straight. In July, sitting in the Louisiana sun, the 0.030 flat aluminum siding expanded enough that the sides looked much like an accordion... well, at least to a concerned owner, it did.....

That said, it isn't "hot yet" and your trailer is "bulging at the seams". Typically, Keystone does not work with owners to repair trailers under warranty. ALL of their work is done through dealerships and your selling dealership is your best bet. You say that when you bought it, the dealer said it was not normal and committed to repair it. What are they telling you now?

There's no reason for you to be doing the legwork with Keystone nor is there any reason for you to be getting heartburn from the process. Your dealer should be doing that on your behalf. I'd urge you to talk to your dealership, remind them that they said it was abnormal and you want it repaired. That should happen as a matter of course since they have already told you that it would be repaired.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:11 PM   #3
keystonekamper

Thanks for the response. We went through the dealer first. They submitted to Keystone who then denied it. The dealer recommended that we contact Keystone directly because sometimes that can get it resolved but to no avail. Yes, if it looks like that in February, I would expect it to be worse in July. That's my biggest concern.
keystonekamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:15 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd get back with the dealer with what Keystone told you and remind them that they told you it was a warranty issue and no big deal and you expect them to honor that commitment regardless of what they and Keystone "cook up in their communications" I'd suggest to them that you accepted the trailer with the understanding that it would be repaired and you want it repaired BEFORE camping season.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:21 PM   #5
Tinner12002

My last toy hauler was alum sided and it bulged in and out in spots, never had any issues that I noticed with water or with siding being loose and that was on a Coachman brand 5th wheel. So some maybe the natural form, but it wouldn't hurt to have them check it if they will.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

It's been a long time since I've owned a metal sided trailer, but, when I did have one it seems that the sides did bow in and out somewhat. Never caused a problem. Yours looks like it may be a bit extreme however.

My biggest concern is the dealership. To tell you that is something that required warranty work and it would be "no big deal", sell it to you then tell you they can't get it fixed is bs. I would take the Keystone response you received to the dealer. Find the person that told you that in the first place and have him find his boss. At that point tell them both your expectations; that it is repaired properly before it's time to go camping - as they indicated it would be. If they fumble or fail, escalate again until you hit whoever runs/owns the place. Don't take no, or excuses, for an answer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:11 PM   #7
dcg9381

I believe Keystone's warranty excludes "cosmetic" issues that do not impact the usability of the RV. My guess is that this falls under this category.

Did the RV sales guy say "no big deal" on fixing it under warranty?
Did the dealership commit to a repair?
Keystone doesn't finish warranty repairs for end consumers, they require interaction with the dealer.

The BEST bet for getting something fixed is in that period PRIOR to funding the sale... Now it's going to be putting the dealership in a position to do what they said they would do..

Now that I've provided all that unhelpful info, are other RVs on the lot doing this? I don't see why this would impact the usability of the RV... But it might impact resale.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote