Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #1
Miles65

Smile Black AC Shroud in Texas? Get outta town!

Better yet, get outta Texas!

To explain: I just bought a new Springdale 252 RL. Great RV, but I never thought to check out the roof, on the dealer's lot. This is my fifth new RV, in about twenty-five years, so no big deal. I was not thinking that any company would put a black AC shroud on a unit in Texas. When I got home, I tried out the 15K BTU AC. It was having some trouble cooling down the unit. I looked up, on the roof, and, lo and behold, - - - - a black shroud was up there! What??? In Texas 100 degree plus summers?? So, I called Keystone and was told I got an Eastern Edition RV. Hmm, - - - - including Texas as an Eastern State is a BIG stretch, I'd say. So, now I had to order a white shroud. That should help keep the roof internals a bit cooler, but I don't think it'll make a big difference in the air being delivered inside, since that's not how these things are related, as best I understand. Still, I know white is the way to go, so I'm hoping for the best. If any of y'all need a black shroud, I'll be happy to send it to you for exactly what I'm paying for my white one: $151.59. Just PM me and we'll set it up. Hint: Don't be planning on camping in hotter than heck areas!
Miles65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
travelin texans

Been in Texas, Arizona, Nevada in the summer with both acs covered with black shrouds along with all the vent covers being black & no problems with any overheating. Not sure the white shroud would make $151.59 worth of difference to bother changing. Just my opinion! Hope it makes a huge difference for you!
In any of those areas you'll have a heck of a time cooling even a small rv with only one ac. When it's over 110 degrees it's next to impossible to keep these tin cans cool regardless how many acs you have.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:00 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

We have pretty much been all around the south and southwest and we have black covers on the ACs as well as the vents. I haven't noticed that they attribute a lot to the heat inside. The black sides on the slides...now that's another matter. As far as the "east" version vs the "west" version of Keystone rvs, pull up their website and look at the map - nearly everything is "east" coast except for a small swath along the west coast.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:27 PM   #4
notanlines

If you are thinking that one white shroud on your AC unit is going to help cool your RV in Texas then you have way more problems than a black shroud. Just being blunt.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:54 PM   #5
Miles65

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
If you are thinking that one white shroud on your AC unit is going to help cool your RV in Texas then you have way more problems than a black shroud. Just being blunt.....
Maybe you should actually read what I posted, originally, wise guy, before you spout off, in here. Just being blunt.......

To help you: "That should help keep the roof internals a bit cooler, but I don't think it'll make a big difference in the air being delivered inside, since that's not how these things are related, as best I understand."
Old 06-21-2018, 03:26 AM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Boys, calm down. It's a big world with lots of options. Room for all.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:11 AM   #7
gearhead

Tell me more. What roof internals will the white shroud keep cooler? The ceiling joists, the insulation, the A/C ducting, the A/C compressor, etc? I'm truly not understanding what roof internals you're talking about.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:58 AM   #8
mfifield01

For reference, the 15k AC won't cool the unit off until the sun goes down. If I setup for camp in the afternoon during a Texas summer, I don't expect the TT to get cool until early evening 7-8p. Once it's cool, you can knock about 18-22 degrees off of the heat index during the day. Getting a shaded spot helps, but it could be low 80s during the day in the TT. I put Reflectix in my windows and Camco vent insulators up in the summer. I typically set the AC to 68 in the morning and it will slowly go up during the day.

I jokingly said to the DW after our Memorial camping trip, "I guess camping season is over". The fall/spring are the best times to camp in Texas. The next trip I have planned is to head to Colorado at the end of July.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:34 AM   #9
Miles65

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Tell me more. What roof internals will the white shroud keep cooler? The ceiling joists, the insulation, the A/C ducting, the A/C compressor, etc? I'm truly not understanding what roof internals you're talking about.
ANYTHING under the shroud. Man - - - - -
Old 06-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #10
Dave W

We live up on the normally frozen solid tundra of Upstate NY. That black shroud, while as far as a/c operation will probably never make a noticeable difference. What concerned me was that heat (sun) would deteriorate that shroud itself plus work against the longevity of the component parts under that cover. A four buck can of white Krylon Fusion paint, 10 minutes with some 320 wet and dry sandpaper cured my angst. I then when I ordered the second a/c went with a shiny white shroud. The MAXXvent covers were also ordered in white rather then smoke. Every little bit helps

Now, if I could only get rid of the black slide end wall as easily ..........
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:57 AM   #11
Pull Toy

I'd also be sure all ductwork is properly connected to the air outlets. There's a long history of "loose air vent hoses" in the RV trade. Check some other A/C threads for the full story.

Just a thought... "You catch more bears with honey, than you will with vinegar!" I don't care how hot it is...

Good Luck, but I don't think shroud cover color is the culprit. I'd check the air flow.
p.s. Did you check to see if Keystone would "swap" the covers?

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow