Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2018, 05:30 AM   #11
Booch

Interesting... I never considered a better hitch. I've got the same Husky setup that came with my first TT 8 years ago (a 3600lb hybrid). The dealer did set it up on the 2810 (and I made sure they knew to turn off the air suspension). It is level with the air suspension off.

Found out my neighbor has that Equalizer hitch on his 29', and he said in 9 years he's never had a sway problem, never felt out of control. So, guess I'm gettin' me a new hitch!

Hypothetical question: Would this same sway still be noticeable if I moved up to a 3/4 ton truck with my existing hitch?

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Booch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:00 AM   #12
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booch View Post
Interesting... I never considered a better hitch.

Hypothetical question: Would this same sway still be noticeable if I moved up to a 3/4 ton truck with my existing hitch?

Absolutely will still have sway. That hitch you are using is not designed to handle a bigger trailer and the sway you are seeing. That friction hitch with the 4 point sway control will change your world. I have a 1/2 ton and my trailer is roughly the same length as yours.. I have zero issues with sway with my Husky Center Line. Can cruise all day at 65 mph and have zip for sway even when semis pass me doing 75 mph. Just make sure you get one with the 4 pt sway.

Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #13
ctbruce
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booch View Post
Interesting... I never considered a better hitch. I've got the same Husky setup that came with my first TT 8 years ago (a 3600lb hybrid). The dealer did set it up on the 2810 (and I made sure they knew to turn off the air suspension). It is level with the air suspension off.

Found out my neighbor has that Equalizer hitch on his 29', and he said in 9 years he's never had a sway problem, never felt out of control. So, guess I'm gettin' me a new hitch!

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how you are loaded. Check that you have adequate weight on your tongue. Linux3 made good points a few posts back.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:49 PM   #14
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
That friction hitch with the 4 point sway control will change your world. I have a 1/2 ton and my trailer is roughly the same length as yours.. I have zero issues with sway with my Husky Center Line. Can cruise all day at 65 mph and have zip for sway even when semis pass me doing 75 mph. Just make sure you get one with the 4 pt sway.
I have a Husky Center Line and the brackets mounted to the TT frame are rusting.
Customer Service at Husky said I should coat them with grease to prevent rust. Doesn't make sense. With grease I lose the friction of the spring bars to the brackets and it's no longer a 4 point hitch.

Thoughts? What do I do about the rust?
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 LT
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:57 PM   #15
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
I have a Husky Center Line and the brackets mounted to the TT frame are rusting.
Customer Service at Husky said I should coat them with grease to prevent rust. Doesn't make sense. With grease I lose the friction of the spring bars to the brackets and it's no longer a 4 point hitch.

Thoughts? What do I do about the rust?
Use the hitch more?

In all seriousness, if you are talking about deep rust during long term sitting, you could coat them with a light dabble of grease. Just wipe them off thoroughly before travelling. If you are talking about light surface rust in between monthly trips, then that will go away the minute you turn a corner with them connected. They are designed to drag and that drag will remove the rust quickly, similar to how hitting your brakes a few times removes the rust off your disc brakes after you leave it sitting in the airport parking lot for a week.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:59 PM   #16
ctbruce
Site Team

I would think that one through first. What does their manual say about this?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 06-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #17
sourdough

I don't know about Husky but Equalizer recommends putting a light coat of grease on the friction points. Did it without and with....no difference.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:48 AM   #18
ctbruce
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I don't know about Husky but Equalizer recommends putting a light coat of grease on the friction points. Did it without and with....no difference.
Only going from memory here, but I believe the Equalizer manual specifically states not to lube the L brackets. The friction points mentioned are in the head unit.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 06-16-2018, 05:15 AM   #19
Gegrad

My Husky manual specifically says not to lube the L brackets. The point to lube is the ball and, if needed, where the bars slide into the head.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:14 AM   #20
sourdough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Only going from memory here, but I believe the Equalizer manual specifically states not to lube the L brackets. The friction points mentioned are in the head unit.
Yes, the manual specifies lubing the friction points on the head - after re-reading my post was unclear and implied lubing the L brackets. Here is what the manual says;

"The friction surfaces of the head and sockets should be kept clean and well lubricated with a good quality multi-purpose or bearing grease. These are the surfaces where the arm sockets rub against the top and bottom plates of the head. See Figure 23. We recommend Equal-i-zer high performance lubricant. They should be lubricated before each trip. Check for damage or abnormal wear at the beginning of each towing day and replace if necessary. Clean dirt and road grit from all friction surfaces regularly. All nuts and bolts should be checked before each towing day and be tightened or replaced if necessary."

The L brackets will cause some noise which is pretty much eliminated with the addition of the L bracket covers made by Equalizer. To me, adding the covers on the L brackets is like lubing but they seem to make no difference in the performance of the hitch. Here is an excerpt from the manual pertaining to their use:

"Noise: Noise is a normal occurance when towing a trailer and using any weight distribution or sway control hitch. The majority of hitch noise can be eliminated by lubricating the friction surfaces of the head as shown in Figure 23. In some cases the friction on the L-brackets can generate noise. Lubricating this joint is not recommended. A better solution is a set of official Equali-zer brand Sway Bracket Jackets™. They quiet the ride and reduce wear without the mess of using a lubricant."

My L brackets made noise. The addition of the "jackets" pretty much eliminated that.

sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport