Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2018, 06:59 AM   #1
Booch

Sway issue on my new Passport 2810BH.

Just picked up a new Passport 2810BH earlier this summer. Love the camper, but don't love the towing so far. Above 50mph I get some sway, not terrible, but not enjoyable.

My previous camper (Heartland 24bhs) was 70lbs heavier, same load eq axles, 2" taller, had a rear kitchen, and a similar 11% tongue weight. I figured the 2810bh would at least tow about the same if I loaded it the same. And it took me a while to get it right on the old one: food in the fridge, cooler just past front axle, nothing in the outdoor kitchen, most everything else in the front bedroom.

I'm still in a 1/2 ton, but assuming the specs are right on the 2810 my numbers should be fine. I have LT tires, WDH, etc.

Any thoughts? Is it the extra 4' that's getting me? Or, do I maybe have too much weight forward since there's no rear kitchen?
Booch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:31 AM   #2
tomd

I used a sway bar in my TT days; it basically is an adjustable 'brake' and is a small addition to your hitch set up. Helps a lot when big trucks pass you.

After installing I test drove with making it tighter until sway reduced/stopped. I back it off when pulling into parking lots & campsites but most of time left it tight.
Also, I found adding airbag to stiffen the rear springs was enough, and I removed my load distribution hitch on F150 set up with sway bar.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:36 AM   #3
Booch

I've got one of those friction sway bars installed, as well. Air suspension on the Ram, too. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:42 AM   #4
MarcS

How much sway are you getting? How often are you getting sway?
Old 06-14-2018, 07:42 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If you've got air suspension on your truck, are you following the RAM set-up procedures properly? Not to say you aren't, but if you set up your WD bars, then start the truck and the suspension "raises or adjusts" then you've "unset" your weight distribution....

Might be something to check to be sure you're doing it "the right way" (not saying you're doing it wrong, but stranger things have happened on this forum.)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:20 AM   #6
mfifield01

I have a very similar setup. Not sure of your exact model, but my wheelbase is probably 9" longer. I let the dealer set mine up after I turned off the Air Suspension in settings. I then took it to a CAT Scale. It was close, but I was able to get it tweaked a little better (added a washer). I'm happy with my setup, but I do feel some push from taller vehicles (semi's, boxed vans, etc.).
Old 06-14-2018, 09:35 AM   #7
BadmanRick

If you have a 28’ trailer the experts recommend two sway bars. A second one is cheap enough and your weight distribution hitch should have holes for two.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #8
oldognewtrick

In pulling a Bullet Ultra Lite 30' with a 2013 Ram 1500 and fought sway and push from wind and passing semi's. I just bought an Equalizer 4 PT hitch and the difference is night and day. Just got back from a 150 mile trip and no more white nuckles. Pricey, but definitely worth it.
oldognewtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #9
linux3

OK, I have a smaller TT but because my kitchen and pantry are behind the axles I have found that putting 1/3 ~ 1/2 full tank of fresh water, which is in the front, helps a lot with sway.
It puts more weight on the tongue and keeps things steady.
I put around 10k miles a year on the TT. That first T stands for travel.
Give it a try.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:51 PM   #10
jtludwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
In pulling a Bullet Ultra Lite 30' with a 2013 Ram 1500 and fought sway and push from wind and passing semi's. I just bought an Equalizer 4 PT hitch and the difference is night and day. Just got back from a 150 mile trip and no more white nuckles. Pricey, but definitely worth it.

I agree. The OP needs a better hitch beyond just the basic weight distributing hitch with a friction sway bar.

I use the blue ox hitch and it has been great. There are other great hitches out there as well, such as the Equalizer.
jtludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:30 AM   #11
Booch

Interesting... I never considered a better hitch. I've got the same Husky setup that came with my first TT 8 years ago (a 3600lb hybrid). The dealer did set it up on the 2810 (and I made sure they knew to turn off the air suspension). It is level with the air suspension off.

Found out my neighbor has that Equalizer hitch on his 29', and he said in 9 years he's never had a sway problem, never felt out of control. So, guess I'm gettin' me a new hitch!

Hypothetical question: Would this same sway still be noticeable if I moved up to a 3/4 ton truck with my existing hitch?

Thanks for the input, everyone.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:00 AM   #12
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booch View Post
Interesting... I never considered a better hitch.

Hypothetical question: Would this same sway still be noticeable if I moved up to a 3/4 ton truck with my existing hitch?

Absolutely will still have sway. That hitch you are using is not designed to handle a bigger trailer and the sway you are seeing. That friction hitch with the 4 point sway control will change your world. I have a 1/2 ton and my trailer is roughly the same length as yours.. I have zero issues with sway with my Husky Center Line. Can cruise all day at 65 mph and have zip for sway even when semis pass me doing 75 mph. Just make sure you get one with the 4 pt sway.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #13
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booch View Post
Interesting... I never considered a better hitch. I've got the same Husky setup that came with my first TT 8 years ago (a 3600lb hybrid). The dealer did set it up on the 2810 (and I made sure they knew to turn off the air suspension). It is level with the air suspension off.

Found out my neighbor has that Equalizer hitch on his 29', and he said in 9 years he's never had a sway problem, never felt out of control. So, guess I'm gettin' me a new hitch!

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how you are loaded. Check that you have adequate weight on your tongue. Linux3 made good points a few posts back.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:49 PM   #14
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
That friction hitch with the 4 point sway control will change your world. I have a 1/2 ton and my trailer is roughly the same length as yours.. I have zero issues with sway with my Husky Center Line. Can cruise all day at 65 mph and have zip for sway even when semis pass me doing 75 mph. Just make sure you get one with the 4 pt sway.
I have a Husky Center Line and the brackets mounted to the TT frame are rusting.
Customer Service at Husky said I should coat them with grease to prevent rust. Doesn't make sense. With grease I lose the friction of the spring bars to the brackets and it's no longer a 4 point hitch.

Thoughts? What do I do about the rust?
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:57 PM   #15
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
I have a Husky Center Line and the brackets mounted to the TT frame are rusting.
Customer Service at Husky said I should coat them with grease to prevent rust. Doesn't make sense. With grease I lose the friction of the spring bars to the brackets and it's no longer a 4 point hitch.

Thoughts? What do I do about the rust?
Use the hitch more?

In all seriousness, if you are talking about deep rust during long term sitting, you could coat them with a light dabble of grease. Just wipe them off thoroughly before travelling. If you are talking about light surface rust in between monthly trips, then that will go away the minute you turn a corner with them connected. They are designed to drag and that drag will remove the rust quickly, similar to how hitting your brakes a few times removes the rust off your disc brakes after you leave it sitting in the airport parking lot for a week.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:59 PM   #16
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I would think that one through first. What does their manual say about this?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 06-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know about Husky but Equalizer recommends putting a light coat of grease on the friction points. Did it without and with....no difference.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:48 AM   #18
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I don't know about Husky but Equalizer recommends putting a light coat of grease on the friction points. Did it without and with....no difference.
Only going from memory here, but I believe the Equalizer manual specifically states not to lube the L brackets. The friction points mentioned are in the head unit.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 06-16-2018, 05:15 AM   #19
Gegrad

My Husky manual specifically says not to lube the L brackets. The point to lube is the ball and, if needed, where the bars slide into the head.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:14 AM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Only going from memory here, but I believe the Equalizer manual specifically states not to lube the L brackets. The friction points mentioned are in the head unit.
Yes, the manual specifies lubing the friction points on the head - after re-reading my post was unclear and implied lubing the L brackets. Here is what the manual says;

"The friction surfaces of the head and sockets should be kept clean and well lubricated with a good quality multi-purpose or bearing grease. These are the surfaces where the arm sockets rub against the top and bottom plates of the head. See Figure 23. We recommend Equal-i-zer high performance lubricant. They should be lubricated before each trip. Check for damage or abnormal wear at the beginning of each towing day and replace if necessary. Clean dirt and road grit from all friction surfaces regularly. All nuts and bolts should be checked before each towing day and be tightened or replaced if necessary."

The L brackets will cause some noise which is pretty much eliminated with the addition of the L bracket covers made by Equalizer. To me, adding the covers on the L brackets is like lubing but they seem to make no difference in the performance of the hitch. Here is an excerpt from the manual pertaining to their use:

"Noise: Noise is a normal occurance when towing a trailer and using any weight distribution or sway control hitch. The majority of hitch noise can be eliminated by lubricating the friction surfaces of the head as shown in Figure 23. In some cases the friction on the L-brackets can generate noise. Lubricating this joint is not recommended. A better solution is a set of official Equali-zer brand Sway Bracket Jackets™. They quiet the ride and reduce wear without the mess of using a lubricant."

My L brackets made noise. The addition of the "jackets" pretty much eliminated that.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport