Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2023, 04:01 PM   #1
turbo

Exclamation Awning seam/weld separation

Hello all, I'm the original owner of a 2019 Cougar 315RLS and we've been very happy with it (other than numerous fridge issues). I have noticed that the awning seam (where the fabric is overlapped after wrapping around the bead in the track attached to the RV) is ungluing/separating. My prior RVs all had this area stitched but this Lippert/Solera is just glued together. I saw this post which references many recalls for this issue but on 22 models only.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ht=awning+seam

Anyone else having this separation issue and are you just buying adhesive and re-gluing it or using Gorilla tape (unsightly) or something else? Odd there is no recall for other years as it really is a safety issue if it fully separates when driving and then the arms fall down.
Appreciate your feedback!
Turbo
turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 05:25 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I would try something like “crazy glue”.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 02:24 AM   #3
turbo

Thanks - I see Lippert sells a vinyl adhesive for $50! plus shipping to Canada. Would love to hear what someone has successfully used, and even if owners of years other than 22 have been affected by this issue.
Old 07-30-2023, 03:02 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I haven’t seen it at the shop yet, so I don’t know how effective it is.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 09:17 AM   #5
Dacheedah

HH66 is what I have seen as being used on the vinyl, its a clean, lightly sand and clean again with alcohol. Apply to both sides and let dry for three to five minutes, carefully put in place and roll. I did see a video of a man on youtube that fixed his and it was still good after six months use. The instructions say to let it dry 24 hrs and he used a step ladder to remove the tension during that process.

Army, 7th ID 7th MP Co
Retired LEO
9-1-1 Director
Dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 05:54 AM   #6
turbo

Update - lippert

Update - I spoke to Lippert and pointed out this is a major safety issue, and they know it as they have recalls on the 22 model (but not 19). They agreed to send me the adhesive free of charge - thanks Lippert - and Im now awaiting receipt.

Tags
awning