Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2023, 02:21 PM   #1
LHaven

Awning washing?

Planning on tackling this task this week. Got a pressure washer that I'm going to set on low so I can reach the awning without damaging it, and without having to drag a ladder back and forth all day.

I heard good things about Wet and Forget, but apparently the work surface needs to left open to the sun and rain for it to work properly, and I can't leave the awning open (especially in the only type of weather in which we get rain out here!)

We so rarely actually use the awning that I'm sure our deposits are just highway dirt and mildew.

What cleaning solutions do people like that are compatible with a pressure washer and won't strip my body finish?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1889.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	44317  
Old 06-19-2023, 02:45 PM   #2
dutchmensport

It's not easy, but it works great and stops black mold from reforming for months and months ... Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Yes, ladders, lots of stretching, and hard work. I get wet, tired, and wish it was over the moment I start. But the end result is great.

Once a year, and then just a light touch up to remove squished bugs. No more black, dirt, anything.

I'm over due on cleaning mine, it's getting yucky again. Maybe soon.
Old 06-19-2023, 04:12 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog

The formula of 1/2 cup bleach, plus 1/4 cup Dawn liquid dish soap, plus 1 gallon of water. Mix and spray on with a pump sprayer, roll up the awning, let sit for 20-30 minutes, unroll and rinse thoroughly.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 05:23 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
The formula of 1/2 cup bleach, plus 1/4 cup Dawn liquid dish soap, plus 1 gallon of water. Mix and spray on with a pump sprayer, roll up the awning, let sit for 20-30 minutes, unroll and rinse thoroughly.
This is what I use also. Just unroll the awning, pull down the arms so the awning roller is as low as possible (helps to reach the back of the awning), then spray with a "pump up sprayer" or just use a long handle car washing brush and "slop the soap/bleach/water solution on the top of the awning", then release the arms, spray the underside (if you're using a sprayer) but I wouldn't get under the awning with a brush and a bucket, it's too easy to get it on you or in your eyes.

Roll up the awning, let it sit, unroll, brush and rinse with a water hose. Don't use a pressure washer "up close to the awning fabric", you risk tearing the vinyl coating.....

Needless to say, schedule all of the above when the sun is not shining on the awning and when it's cool enough that it won't evaporate while you're spraying it on.... Early morning might work, but you'll be rushed to finish before it gets hot... Late evening, in the shade is when I find it's easiest to "watch the bubbles pop without being rushed to get it finished before it dries"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 05:58 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
This is what I use also. Just unroll the awning, pull down the arms so the awning roller is as low as possible (helps to reach the back of the awning), then spray with a "pump up sprayer" or just use a long handle car washing brush and "slop the soap/bleach/water solution on the top of the awning", then release the arms, spray the underside (if you're using a sprayer) but I wouldn't get under the awning with a brush and a bucket, it's too easy to get it on you or in your eyes.

Roll up the awning, let it sit, unroll, brush and rinse with a water hose. Don't use a pressure washer "up close to the awning fabric", you risk tearing the vinyl coating.....

Needless to say, schedule all of the above when the sun is not shining on the awning and when it's cool enough that it won't evaporate while you're spraying it on.... Early morning might work, but you'll be rushed to finish before it gets hot... Late evening, in the shade is when I find it's easiest to "watch the bubbles pop without being rushed to get it finished before it dries"...

^^^^Or, I found that you can just ignore the warning in red, soak the awning while standing under it letting it drip on you in a black hooded sweatshirt and voila! - instant tie dyed looking outerwear....MUCH to the chagrin of beloved DW (it was her sweatshirt)!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 06:28 AM   #6
ChuckS

I just use Dawn dish soap mixed in a bucket of warm water.. Long poled soft wide RV brush.. Wet awning down, scrub a section and rinse..

Dawn dish soap wont ruin clothes... After you have scrubbed down and rinsed and its clean to your satisfaction let it dry

** To minimize recurrence of your mildew when it rains after sun comes out go out and open up the awning and let dry ( if RV is kept at home )..

** A also do this during the winter months after a snow fall and the sun comes out...

Video of my awning cleaning -- I dont use pressure washers on my RV

https://youtu.be/3Ugx8aj5DE0

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 11:16 AM   #7
{tpc}

Mr. Clean Magic eraser works great, but you have to remember its an abrasive product, even if it doesn't feel like it is. So I try to do it sparingly, and I don't scrub hard. But it works great.

Pro-Tip, get the magic eraser mop...with the 6 ft handle.
Old 06-20-2023, 02:06 PM   #8
LHaven

Well, looks like I'm just gonna have to cowboy up and move the trailer just to wash the bling-blang awning. Because right now the awning opens over a hedge, and the ground drops off steeply on the other side of the hedge, and there's no way I can get at the top side (or most of the bottom of it, for all of that, which was why I was considering the power washer in the first place). I also probably ought not to get a whole lot of bleach or detergent on the hedge anyway.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 02:05 AM   #9
Skillet173

I’ve heard simple green works well also. Anyone try that?

Got tired of "fighting stupid" (LEO) after 27 years and retired.
Active MX rider/racer, parent, sponsor, mechanic, transporter, and race fan for my son.
Skillet173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 09:12 AM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet173 View Post
I’ve heard simple green works well also. Anyone try that?
I used SG concentrate mixed a bit stronger than recommended in a 1 gallon pump sprayer, saturated the awning, top & bottom, as I rolled it up slowly, wait 20-30, then with a medium bristle brush I continued to spray & scrub top & bottom as I unroll it very slowly, repeat if necessary, usually not, then rinse throughly, works easily & good results. No harm to clothing, awning stitching or rv paint & decals like the bleach.
I use basically the same procedure on the roof, minus the rolling up part.
Oh yea! The SG smells good!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 08:58 AM   #11
Freder

Has anyone tried that spray on vinyl siding house wash? It really works good on the house and I'm thinking the canopy is a vinyl product....so?
Freder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 03:18 PM   #12
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freder View Post
Has anyone tried that spray on vinyl siding house wash? It really works good on the house and I'm thinking the canopy is a vinyl product....so?
The wrong mix getting on the sides of the RV could be damaging, whether it’s aluminum or fiberglass. So use caution when experimenting with house cleaning products. I’ve had good success with the dish soap/bleach/water mixture, and a little elbow grease.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 10:02 AM   #13
Freder

I was wondering about that. Was hoping someone had some experience along that line. Guess it's Dawn and bleach. Now how do I get my wife to do this while I sit back and watch ?
Freder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 10:14 AM   #14
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
I was wondering about that. Was hoping someone had some experience along that line. Guess it's Dawn and bleach. Now how do I get my wife to do this while I sit back and watch ?
See posts 3 & 4 for the mixture ratio. I retracted the awning for about 30 minutes before extending. I used a telescoping brush to clean the awning and didn't get any of the solution on me. I thoroughly rinsed the awning and camper with water.

Now getting someone else to do the job, might be a more difficult task in itself.

Good Luck.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 07:24 PM   #15
army1rob

I used this on my old awning

Quote:
I used this on my awning on my old trailer every year before storage and made life really easy. I would spray it on and let it it sit for 5-10 min and hit it with the soft Rv brush on an extension. It would make my awning look almost brand new. Haven’t had to clean my awnings on my new trailer yet but will use the same technique when I do. I have used both the outdoor siding cleaner and mold armor. You can get the mold armor from Home Depot for around $10 by the gutters and roofing. It does have bleach so I recommend wearing goggles but their your eyes so you do you.
army1rob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning