Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2023, 05:21 PM   #1
Alan T

Awning detaching

2021 Cougar 24RDS
The track for the awning fabric on the side of the camper: the screws holding the rear end, basically about 18 inches pulled out presumably because they only engage the fiberglass siding and nothing else. There is a window right below that end of the track so there is no “stud” to screw into. My question is; anything wrong with using toggle bolts to secure that end of the track to the wall?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 06:41 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Toggle bolts will require some LARGE holes. Your awning rail was probable secured with #8 screws. I would either use a bamboo skewer to “shim” the holes or use #10 screws.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 10:06 AM   #3
Alan T

Awning

Just finished with the original screws and bamboo skewers and it to tighten up nicely will wait and see if it holds now👌
Old 10-20-2023, 11:42 AM   #4
govols380

I've been using toothpicks all these years. Thanks for the upgrade.
govols380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 01:53 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Just finished with the original screws and bamboo skewers and it to tighten up nicely will wait and see if it holds now👌
Hopefully you sealed those holes with sealant before installing the screws or after they were installed and put sealant/butyl putty tape behind the loose awning rail.... When the awning is rolled up in the travel position, often the awning is higher than the awning rail. In those trailers, when it rains, water pools between the awning fabric and the awning rail and that "pool of water" can sit against those screws until it finally drains or dries. All that time, any "unsealed screw threads" can seep water through to the inside of the FILON siding.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 03:10 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Hopefully you sealed those holes with sealant before installing the screws or after they were installed and put sealant/butyl putty tape behind the loose awning rail.... When the awning is rolled up in the travel position, often the awning is higher than the awning rail. In those trailers, when it rains, water pools between the awning fabric and the awning rail and that "pool of water" can sit against those screws until it finally drains or dries. All that time, any "unsealed screw threads" can seep water through to the inside of the FILON siding.
Good catch!!! I’m super busy at the moment and didn’t get a chance to include that in my response.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-21-2023, 10:45 AM   #7
Alan T

I did. Seal the strip but will make no difference after using bamboo skewer shims and gorilla glue to get the screws and railing tightened up good and let sit for 24rds rolled the awning in and screws popped right out of siding, looks like toggle bolts are about to be brought into play
Old 10-21-2023, 11:32 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

You can add screws between the holes.

Old 10-21-2023, 12:27 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

I would not use "toggle bolts" with the expanding "butterfly wings"... They are "impossible to keep tight and you'll have to leave the "toggle part" in the hole if you ever have to replace or repair in the future...

I'd use the "expanding jack nuts" instead. Drill holes the correct size for the jack nuts, put some sealant in the hole, install the jack nut, use the expanding tool to set it in place, then use the bolt supplied with the jack nut to secure the awning rail.

Here's photos of the jack nuts and the proper tool to set them. Just be sure that the jack nuts you choose have the "correct depth throat" so they secure to the thickness of your FILON wall without being too short so they crush the FILON rather than "squeeze against it".....

They are available on Amazon at very reasonable pricing, and at nearly all local hardware stores, but the price will probably be almost double the Amazon prices....

Take a look at the video in the illustrations on this link (which is a hardware site). The video shows how the Jack nuts work and how the tool "sets them properly".
https://www.temu.com/30-sets-hollow-..._id=9rfkmkuqgl

Just don't forget to use butyl putty tape between the jack nut and the awning rail !!!!! There's about a 1/32" gap caused by the jack nut head and if you don't seal it, it will "guarantee a wet FILON backing board".....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JACKNUTS.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	45456   Click image for larger version

Name:	JACKNUT1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	45457   Click image for larger version

Name:	JACKNUT TOOL.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	45458   Click image for larger version

Name:	JACKNUT STRIPPED SCREW.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	45459  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 11:33 AM   #10
Gamma

I bought the same jack nuts on amazon to secure the awning on my last RV. They worked great. I applied silicone with a small 1/4 inch paintbrush (got it a Michaels) to the inside of the hole to prevent water fron invading the wall layers. I also placed a small bead on the back side of the fastener flange before I compressed it into place and a small amount on the bolt just under the head. All good. Have found a few other uses for these around the house and vehicles.
AirLift system
Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 03:45 PM   #11
MotownJG

I have never seen that tool. Thanks for this thread. Like always I learn something whenever I'm on this website / forum.
Hoping to leave California in the next year.
MotownJG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning