Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2019, 04:55 PM   #1
Djtacer

Adding heat to HVAC

I have looked and looked and find some info here and there but i wanted to start a very easy to find clear thread about adding a heat pump or heating element to an already ducted AC unit. Obviously propane is already there but when i am connected to shore power id like to have non has heat. Anyone have any easy to understand info for everyone.
Djtacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:14 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Probably the easiest way is to find the model # and then look it up. You can get that information from the unit on the roof, you may have to remove the cover, or just take the ceiling assembly off. If it’s possible to add a heat strip, there will be a sticker telling you where to mount it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:21 PM   #3
Djtacer

Thank you. Ill be sure to pass the knowledge. Nice to yave all the info in one place
Djtacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:21 PM   #4
travelin texans

Just FYI, the heat pump is only efficient down to about 40 degrees then blows cold air. Plus not familiar with your particular rv, but most have ducting into the underbelly to help prevent tank & plumbing from freezing but must run the furnace for it to work.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:55 PM   #5
Fishsizzle

We have a “heat pump” in the bedroom AC. I don’t care for it much. Blows really hard, and as mentioned only good till 40.

Has anyone tried Cheap Heat?

https://www.rvcomfortsystems.com/
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:23 PM   #6
29rkpr2018

We use an electric space heater. The furnace is set a couple degrees below the electric space heater so that if the space heater can’t keep up only then does the furnace kick in.

Found out however that doesn’t work so well when I get up early and close the bedroom door to allow my wife to sleep in. For that reason I added a heat strip to the bedroom a/c to keep the chill off when we close the bedroom door. I don’t think the heat strip is enough to heat the trailer on its own.
29rkpr2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:43 PM   #7
cag

Did you try the "Cheap Heat" solution?

I am looking at full timing in Western Washington, we have the heat pump on the back A/C but as mentioned when it get cold the furnace comes on... or least that is what I was told by Dometic when I called them. Since I am plugged into electric adding the Cheap Heat seems better, more expensive, than portable heaters and trying to get enough 15 amp plugs.
cag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 01:13 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

The Cheap Heat electric furnace supplemental heating system has some distinct advantages and some disadvantages.

Advantages: Less propane use. That means cost savings (for some) and significant convenience (not changing propane tanks or running out in the middle of the night) for everyone. There is "heat delivered to the basement/underbelly" as with the propane furnace, keeping the Arctic Package/Polar Package working.

Disadvantage: Most RV furnaces are noisy. That noise is from the squirrel cage fan that's used to distribute warm air. It will still be noisy with the Cheap Heat system. So, if you are "annoyed by the propane furnace noise" and resort to electric heaters so you can have quiet evenings, then you'll be equally annoyed with the noise from the furnace when the conversion to electric rather than propane is made.....

It's a "good alternative" to propane for anyone that uses their RV in cold climates and has hookups. It's not as quiet as most "stand alone electric heaters".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:02 AM   #9
Newback

I sorta like the sounds on an RV furnace.
Newback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:42 AM   #10
GiantMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Just FYI, the heat pump is only efficient down to about 40 degrees then blows cold air. Plus not familiar with your particular rv, but most have ducting into the underbelly to help prevent tank & plumbing from freezing but must run the furnace for it to work.
I want to reinforce the point made above -- if it's cold enough to require a heat source (outside ambient temp 32 or lower), you would want some "heat assist" to keep the tanks and waterlines from freezing up as well, right? .. If we're shore powered, we've found that the plug-in space heaters usually will help get the temps up to where sweaters / sweatshirts are quite cozy .. when it drops into the 20's and teens, we're grateful for the propane furnace.

Mike
GiantMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:19 AM   #11
cag

Not sure everyone is getting what this is. It doesn't replace the propane furnace, it just adds the option to use that same furnace as an electric furnace. All of the same vents and ducts would be used. The reason for the change is to save on propane and/or the issues with getting it refilled when you have electric available.

As to the sound, I don't have it so I don't know. The furnace fan would still run, you wouldn't hear the propane being burned which you might not if the fan it noisy anyway.
cag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat