Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2019, 05:50 PM   #1
Fast_frank_d

Tow Vehicle Tire Options and Opinions

I am not sure if this post belongs here, or in Tow Vehicles, or in Tires, but it's about tires on the tow vehicle for the purpose of towing. I have been towing large trailers with my 2WD F150 for many years, but just recently hit some trouble spots from unexpected gravel/dirt leading to campsites as we get deeper into the hobby. 4WD is not in the budget, but sensible truck upgrades are. My intention is put in a limited slip diff and switch to all terrain tires from the highway rollers I have now. Below is a short list of tires that have good reviews in the $100-$150 price range, does anyone have personal experience (positive or negative) with these tires or others that I should consider?

Goodyear Wrangler ATS
Laufenn AX Fit AT
Kumho Road Adventure A/T 51
Falken Wildpeak A/T3W
General Grabber ATX

Of course improving gravel/dirt traction is the most important thing, but I don't want something that makes it impossible to control the trailer at 65mph, or makes you deaf on a 500 mile trip.

Let the opinions roll in! Thanks!
Fast_frank_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:59 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

What is your trailer? Weight dictates what load tire you get. Sounds like you are just wanting to get tires for traction when off road?? Unexpected gravel and dirt really shouldn't make any difference unless there is some sort of problem in the setup or you are going off road - then, there are lots of considerations. A 1/2 ton with a large trailer is compromised on flat, level highways; off road the issues are just compounded. A little more info would be very beneficial.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:58 PM   #3
Fast_frank_d

Just looking for firsthand feedback on unpaved tire performance (regardless of setup). For example "I have 4WD ABC rig and used XYZ tire and it had less offroad traction than tire model 123 on a grade." or "I have 2WD ABC rig and used XYZ tire and it was unbearable to drive over 50mph." or "I have 2WD ABC rig using XYZ tire and now I can park my trailer in my sloped back yard when I used to get stuck with tire 123."

The reason I am asking here is that the general tire reviews are mostly just daily commuter folks giving a general thumbs up... not focused on camper towing conditions (heavily loaded, surprise road surfaces, 500 mile hauls, tight conditions requiring dropping wheels off pavement, etc.)

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2019, 08:11 PM   #4
Wyldfire

My Goodyear Wranglers are terrible in the Mud. Toyo Open Countries did much better off road. Have to put in 4 wheel drive on wet grass to move.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:44 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_frank_d View Post
Just looking for firsthand feedback on unpaved tire performance (regardless of setup). For example "I have 4WD ABC rig and used XYZ tire and it had less offroad traction than tire model 123 on a grade." or "I have 2WD ABC rig and used XYZ tire and it was unbearable to drive over 50mph." or "I have 2WD ABC rig using XYZ tire and now I can park my trailer in my sloped back yard when I used to get stuck with tire 123."

The reason I am asking here is that the general tire reviews are mostly just daily commuter folks giving a general thumbs up... not focused on camper towing conditions (heavily loaded, surprise road surfaces, 500 mile hauls, tight conditions requiring dropping wheels off pavement, etc.)

Thanks!
I'm still not sure what you are looking for. I'm assuming a "trade off" between on road/towing performance and off road. I ran off road for lots of years as I think others on here have. You have to make a choice between on road manners and off road performance...that is the bottom line. Don't want noise? Get a marginal off road tire. Want max off road performance? Forget about noise - you got it. The more you get toward off road performance the more you don't get "towing" tires - that's the nature of the beast.

Specialized off road tires, for max traction, are not meant for towing a heavy trailer - they're meant for what they are designed for. I've had BFG, Toyo, Pro Comp, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Mickey Thompson, Nitto and I can't remember what else; some full bore mud/traction tires, some less agressive. I wouldn't recommend one of them for towing heavy loads personally. That, IMO, leaves you with AT tires. Some are better than others; find the reviews that say they "grip like crazy"....that tire won't last any time with a big trailer. The list is endless.

Big trailer and towing, to me, leaves out any kind of "off road" tire - they are too soft. Look at some of the less aggressive AT tires. Pro Comp makes some really good tires - good traction and good wear. BFG used to but they got to where even their AT tires made tons of noise, didn't wear evenly and didn't last long - same with the Goodyears. I don't like Bridgestone, Toyo or Nitto so..... For me, I've moved to Michelin exclusively. Look at some of their AT tires and see what you think. Not knowing what you are trying to run in (black gumbo isn't comparable to red clay, slickrock etc.) it's a who knows on what you need. If you don't want to use tires meant for towing, you have a lot of homework to do IMO.

Edit: I forgot that you mentioned 4wd was out of the question. IMO, not to be ugly, but no one has any business towing a large trailer into the boonies hoping on 2wd with AT tires to get them anywhere in bad terrain. You could install a locking diff (actually you should go with a limited slip locker - I really like the Detroit TruTrac) but on 2wd that's just asking for trouble IMO.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:49 AM   #6
linux3

I had Goodyear Wrangler ATS and they were good when new but after around 25k miles, or less, they were not good.
I now have Michelin LTX tires which are M+S rated not AT and have much better traction plus I tthink stiffer sidewalls. Less squirm.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:42 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

This is not a recommendation for tires, but rather a "have you considered" comment:

You suggest that buying a 4x4 isn't currently possible because of cost. Have you considered the cost of paying someone to tow your current 4x2 AND a large trailer out of the "outback"? You may lose a couple thousand dollars trading trucks to obtain a 4x4. You'll pay almost that much in towing fees if you do get stuck. Add that to the costs of modifying your current truck (which will also reduce its value on resale) and you may find that it's really cheaper to trade for a 4x4 than to pay for even one "major tow job"....

That said, most "seasoned four wheelers" don't use 4x4 "going in" (especially if alone). Most use 2WD until they get stuck, then use 4WD to "rescue themselves from the situation" in other words, "to get out".

When you're in 4WD and get stuck, unless you've got a winch, you're in for a lot of "manual labor, harsh words and SWEAT".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:17 AM   #8
Fast_frank_d

Appreciate the tire feedback I've gotten so far, I'm not looking to go boondocking or off-road driving, just first-hand experience in gravel/dirt while towing with tires you liked (especially for tires listed in OP). Keep the tire feedback coming!
Old 04-22-2019, 12:22 PM   #9
sconner

We’re just talking about a half ton truck. Probably any tire other than a strictly mud tire will suffice.

I was in the same boat a couple years ago. Since it was a truck I knew I wasn’t going to keep for long I didn’t want to spend a ton of money. I looked around and got some Hankook Dynapro ATM tires.

https://m.hankooktire.com/us/tire/pa...at-m-rf10.html

They worked quite well towing my Keystone Passport 2920BH (about 6000lbs) for several thousand miles before I traded it in. On road, off road, and towing they worked great. Tread noise was obviously higher than a hwy tire, but not s deafening drone like you will get on a mud tire.

Bottom line, they were a cheap tire and I was very impressed with traction in the slippery stuff.
sconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:09 AM   #10
Hankster

I recently replaced the Goodear SRA Street tires with BFGoodrich KO2 (275-60-20 load rangeD) all terrains on my 2015 Ram 1500. At about the same time I also added some inside the spring air bags as well. We recently took a 3000 mile trip across the country pulling out Bullet 261rbswe. We had no problems at all, and did a couple of off road spots(dry) for a nights stay. The tires handled great, and I think they're a great compromise. They handled the weight of the trailer fine, with very little side to side when aired up to 55psi cold. Air bags were at 14-15 paid the whole trip. Only have 5000 miles on them now, but they seem to be wearing well.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:57 AM   #11
CWtheMan

The current tires on our truck are the Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar. I use them for completely different reasons than what you're looking for. Duribility, our OE tires were GY and of the standard 5 rib design. They started breaking out at about 25,000 miles but still had good tread depth. I replaced them with Generaals with similar tread design but deeper treads. Same result. That's when I decided to use the all-terrain GYs. My major worry was noise. Couldn't tell the difference. Stability and durability increased and they exceed 40,000 miles in acceptable usage for our conditions.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...re+with+Kevlar
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:23 AM   #12
Fast_frank_d

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I am reading carefully and taking notes!
Old 04-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #13
Logan X

I use Goodyear wrangler all terrain adventure with Kevlar, Load rating E. I’m happy with them. They aren’t loud on pavement and I’ve towed on unimproved roads with no issues. I have 20k on the tires and 5k of that is towing.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:07 PM   #14
drew999999

If I remember correctly, the Goodyear Wranglers were OEM tires on my 2013 F150. I purchased the truck at 20k and they were about toast at 25k with easy driving. I really didn't like the winter handling of those. Went to Duratracs (even though they aren't on your list) and although they were probably the best winter tire I've ever had, they were very loud when driving on the Interstate. They also had a very strange wear pattern where about every other lug was worn lower than the others. I think this was due to my front shocks being dead before 50k, so I won't blame the tire for that.

My current F350 has the Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws and these things are crazy nice for the price. They have a fairly aggressive tread for off-roading and seriously silent. They are also winter rated (with the snowflake) and did very well over the past Midwest snow season. Depending on the lifespan of the tread, I'll be replacing these with the same.

Edit: I just looked it up and the F150 OEMs that I had were Wrangler SR-A not the ATS that are in your list.
drew999999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:00 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew999999 View Post
If I remember correctly, the Goodyear Wranglers were OEM tires on my 2013 F150. I purchased the truck at 20k and they were about toast at 25k with easy driving. I really didn't like the winter handling of those. Went to Duratracs (even though they aren't on your list) and although they were probably the best winter tire I've ever had, they were very loud when driving on the Interstate. They also had a very strange wear pattern where about every other lug was worn lower than the others. I think this was due to my front shocks being dead before 50k, so I won't blame the tire for that.

My current F350 has the Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws and these things are crazy nice for the price. They have a fairly aggressive tread for off-roading and seriously silent. They are also winter rated (with the snowflake) and did very well over the past Midwest snow season. Depending on the lifespan of the tread, I'll be replacing these with the same.

Edit: I just looked it up and the F150 OEMs that I had were Wrangler SR-A not the ATS that are in your list.

Yes, I had a truck with OEM SRA Goodyears and I wasn't impressed with them.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:31 PM   #16
Fast_frank_d

Thanks everyone, good to see a couple on my list with positive personal experience. I am taking a look at the tires mentioned that are not on my original list. And good to know what to stay away from.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:24 PM   #17
Tonkatoy77

I used to have Toyo M/T’s on my truck. They were really good in the mud, but gravel tore them up really bad. And they don’t last long on a diesel truck towing a trailer. I only got 20k miles out of them.

My current tires are the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. They are a 12 ply tire rated at 3640 lbs each. I’ve driven on quite a bit of gravel roads already, and they seem to be holding up a lot better than the Toyo’s. They are very quiet at highway speeds. I haven’t driven in any muddy terrain yet, so I can’t say how they do for traction. But so far I’d definitely recommend them for someone that tows heavy and wants an A/T type tire.

Both tires seemed to have a stiffer sidewall than the Goodyear Duratrac’s I used to run. I didn’t like those tires at all for towing.
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:16 AM   #18
08montana

You will notice the greatest improvement with the locker. I wouldn’t get a limited slip but go for a full locker that can be engaged only when needed, less maintenance. Then buy the best road tires you can afford. I’ve got the Goodyear’s with Kevlar and they are holding up well.
08montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:18 PM   #19
Fast_frank_d

Thank you for the personal anecdotes and details, I am reading them and appreciate the real-world experiences you have had.
Old 11-24-2022, 06:59 PM   #20
rodgebone

Tow vehicle tires

TV Tires: looking for feedback.

2019 4x4 Ram 1500 w/tow package. came new with Goodyear Wrangler 265/75R18. tires lasted till 44k to my amazement. i want to upgrade to a higher load range that would support 8500lbs. any suggestions/reviews?

Tags
tow, tow vehicle