Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2019, 12:38 PM   #33
bustersdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Weights are an ongoing subject of discussion and rightfully so. Discussions around the comments of "the dealer" said it would be OK; the "salesman" said it would be OK abound. As most should know, those folks are there to sell you something….not determine if you, or your vehicle, are qualified to carry a specific load.

Case in point; spent the morning/afternoon looking at various 5th wheels. Asked for a seasoned salesman I knew. Low key; very knowledgeable about the RVs, straightforward and honest. I told him that weight was a consideration because I was going to buy a new truck predicated on the trailer we chose, if any. As we discussed various units the number he threw out for weight was the dry weight...every time. I told him my current payload, what I figured for pin weight and that it would be based off of gvw - and THAT would determine what I bought for a truck....as should everyone else.

I spent several hours there and I asked, everytime, what the gvw was because he recited the dry weight every time. As we went here and there I talked to him pretty much constantly about the importance of weights and not trying to steer folks to units that were too big. I showed him the stickers, gvw and axle ratings and how that related to the tow truck ratings for payload and gvw...on the door.. He's generally their top salesman and has been there longer than the others. The conversations we had were a first for him...he was indoctrinated to sell...using a "selling" number. Super nice guy; very open to listening to what I was saying. I asked him to keep the numbers I mentioned in mind when talking to potential customers and he said he would - I think he will.

A story from today to just illustrate to anyone that thinks the "salesman" said it was OK....is OK. As well intentioned as they may be, they have "their" agenda...as a buyer you should have yours - the safety of your family. Sometimes at odds with the salesmans idea of "taking care of you". Just food for thought.
Basically do your homework
bustersdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow vehicle