Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
Pearlie

How to repaint sink

I had a minor disaster in the bathroom lavatory sink in my Everest, when the Damp Rid bucket I had in there over the winter got wet, overflowed into the sink and damaged the finish. It now looks like camouflage (yuk). I think I should be able to paint it, but I don't know what kind of paint I should use. Has anyone done this successfully?

Will the paint Krylon makes for plastic be durable enough for the sink or do I need something more specifically designed for a sink/shower?

Another thought, would the Gianni countertop refinishing product be durable enough? I might be able to get close to the original color/finish with that product.
Pearlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:40 PM   #2
notanlines

Pearlie, coming from someone with 37 years in commercial/industrial painting an blasting I can only tell you one thing: Go to Sherwin-Williams or Devoe or Porter Paint and ask to speak to the manager. You are not to go by what is said by the 19 year-old pushing paint behind the counter. You will need to know what the surface is comprised of AND you will want to tell them that the surface will have Comet cleanser used on it. It is what they do for a living. Home Depot and Lowes wasn't on my list you will notice.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:01 PM   #3
ChuckS

Why not just replace the sink

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:09 PM   #4
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Why not just replace the sink
That's what I suggest too. It'll be a permanent fix. Relatively easy job too. Who knows how the sink will look after new paint is applied.

I just did a random.search on trekwood.com for a Cougar lavatory sink. $79 is reasonable for a small oval sink. You may have to dig deeper as sink dimensions are all over the place.

https://www.trekwood.com/products/49...Hole-Parchment
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:13 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

You can have a complete sink, faucet and drain "delivered to your house in 2 days" from Amazon for $48.95.

https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-Bathro...ateway&sr=8-15

I wouldn't consider repainting a plastic sink in an RV. Just the price of a quart of paint will probably be more expensive than a new sink. Yeah, I know, but in this day of "disposable stuff" .....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #6
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlie View Post
I had a minor disaster in the bathroom lavatory sink in my Everest, when the Damp Rid bucket I had in there over the winter got wet, overflowed into the sink and damaged the finish. It now looks like camouflage (yuk). I think I should be able to paint it, but I don't know what kind of paint I should use. Has anyone done this successfully?

Will the paint Krylon makes for plastic be durable enough for the sink or do I need something more specifically designed for a sink/shower?

Another thought, would the Gianni countertop refinishing product be durable enough? I might be able to get close to the original color/finish with that product.
We also have an Everest. We've replaced the kitchen sink - a drop-in - three times. My wife doesn't like stainless steel.

When the Everest went out of production we just went to Montana dealers. Browsed several units until we found a sink that would work. Same with the bathroom sinks which we have changed twice. Some dealers are more agreeable than others. The last one we got was from Tom Johnson. They had it drop shipped from the factory directly to our location at the time.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 04:06 PM   #7
xtraquispe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlie View Post

What did you end up doing?? I had the exact same thing happen in the kitchen and it ate away the "stainless" layer so it's a giant rust spot now. Chemicals just ate it away.
xtraquispe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 04:33 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

The OP hasn't been on the site since January this year. Perhaps send a private message and if the OP has chosen to receive notifications, will get an email and respond to you. This thread is 5 years old, by the way.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 04:52 AM   #9
xtraquispe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The OP hasn't been on the site since January this year. Perhaps send a private message and if the OP has chosen to receive notifications, will get an email and respond to you. This thread is 5 years old, by the way.
Thanks. Yes, I saw the date. Couldn’t hurt to reply and hope they get a notification. Appreciate you making sure I knew how long ago this was.
xtraquispe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 06:34 AM   #10
rhagfo

This may be five years old, but it has an important lesson! The damp rid and Drizair dehumidifiers create a nasty liquid that will stain and if spilled on porous surface you will never be able to dry it out, it will need to be replaced.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 06:48 AM   #11
Pearlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtraquispe View Post
What did you end up doing?? I had the exact same thing happen in the kitchen and it ate away the "stainless" layer so it's a giant rust spot now. Chemicals just ate it away.
Well, I've been here all along, just lurking.

Anyway, I haven't done anything with the sink. I decided to just replace it with an ivory sink at some point (which hasn't come yet). It's annoying but I can live with it until the time comes to sell the rig. The new owner will get a new sink.
Pearlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 08:21 AM   #12
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtraquispe View Post
Well we put a too warm pan in our kitchen plastic stainless sink once, put a “dent” in the bottom. Found a Moen the almost fit the existing opening, needed to enlarge about 1/2” with and depth.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, sink