Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2017, 04:20 PM   #21
Harleydodge

Great info, thanks to all.
I will likely do something this spring, but still not sure exactly which way I will go.
Really leaning towards the in-bed aux tank, just for the maximum amount of fuel.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:02 PM   #22
hornet28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydodge View Post
Great info, thanks to all.
I will likely do something this spring, but still not sure exactly which way I will go.
Really leaning towards the in-bed aux tank, just for the maximum amount of fuel.
Per gal added an in bed tank is the least expensive way to go. Even less if you find a used tank. I bought a used 90 gal TransFer Flow for under $200 a couple of years ago off Craigslist
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:11 AM   #23
Tinner12002

Also note that just because someone puts a 90 gal aux tank in their truck doesn't mean they have to put 90 gal in it each time.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:49 AM   #24
Javi

A personal observation... I bought a long-bed dually... first so I could safely carry the pin weight of my present trailer and pretty much any other the DW might fall in love with... But secondly... because I wanted to be able to carry a lot of STUFF in the bed... Putting a aux tank in the bed... seems like I just gave up most of the bed..

In my case a Titan tank is 65 gallons.. towing that's something like 500-600 miles with a safety margin.. I'm thinking I can find me some fuel before that... Not to mention that at 68 the bladder ain't what it used to be..
Old 12-20-2017, 05:01 AM   #25
Harleydodge

All good points again.
The 8ft bed would easily allow for a "smaller" , say 50 gallon, tank and still leave lots of extra room for "stuff"
Also, I think I could easily still load my Quad in there with the hitch removed.
The Dresser (Harley) might be another story though. Not likely to become an issue, as I've never loaded it in there and don't plan to. Only reason would be in an emergency situation, but I carry insurance for that, so...

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:51 AM   #26
Tinner12002

I think an RDS 45 or 48 gal tank is only 13in wide and is still short enough to stay under a bed cover if you have one. As for your Harley, that shouldn't be an issue either because mine will fit in the bed of my truck with a 4x4 laying against the front of the bed with bike on a condor stand and I'm still able to close the tailgate. Worst case your Harley back wheel might be out on the tailgate some. its all doable I guess to some point depending on the desires.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:38 AM   #27
notanlines

Keep in mind that a Road King is 96 inches long, and a Harley three wheeler on a Classic frame is about 104 inches.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:07 AM   #28
hornet28

For all who post about needing to get out and stretch or drain the bladder. The extra tank is about choosing when and where to fuel up. You can stop anywhere for the other, if you're on an interstate their called "rest areas". Many the time I've been able to run through the areas that have high fuel prices. If you do many miles a year towing that adds up. The last four summers I've pulled 30K+ and saved as much as $.50 per gal at times. That adds up pretty quick. Before I head out I check my route on gas buddy and log where I'll stop to take advantage of lower prices. An example is the area I live in. A town 25 mi away fuel is $.24-29 per gal less at this time. I don't run there just to fuel up but if I'm near there I'll stop there for fuel. At this time I could take on just over 70 gal. At $.24 that's $17 and $.29 is $20. Over the 14 yrs I've run my extra tank that has saved me a lot of money
Old 12-20-2017, 07:10 AM   #29
kampfitt

I have the RDS 45 gal across the front of the bed it's only 9" thick and stays below my bed cover, and its DOT approved. I did install a little 12v pump to make it fill faster when it's time. I also bought mine from Northern Tool but waited till they had a sale with free shipping. My 08 short box D-Max only has the 26 gal stock tank so the extra 45 gal give us lots more opitons of when to fill instead of having to fill!! the tank payed for itself on our Alaska trip with being able to fill up in larger towns at better prices!!
kampfitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:41 AM   #30
Harleydodge

Something I am still not clear on is: Is there the option of leaving a gravity fed valve open all the time or do they need to be opened/closed as fuel is needed, and if so, what are the fail-safes, if any, should the valves be left open by mistake?

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #31
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet28 View Post
For all who post about needing to get out and stretch or drain the bladder. The extra tank is about choosing when and where to fuel up. You can stop anywhere for the other, if you're on an interstate their called "rest areas". Many the time I've been able to run through the areas that have high fuel prices. If you do many miles a year towing that adds up. The last four summers I've pulled 30K+ and saved as much as $.50 per gal at times. That adds up pretty quick. Before I head out I check my route on gas buddy and log where I'll stop to take advantage of lower prices. An example is the area I live in. A town 25 mi away fuel is $.24-29 per gal less at this time. I don't run there just to fuel up but if I'm near there I'll stop there for fuel. At this time I could take on just over 70 gal. At $.24 that's $17 and $.29 is $20. Over the 14 yrs I've run my extra tank that has saved me a lot of money
That is/was my main focus...buy fuel in town as opposed to along the interstate where it's anywhere from 45 to 50 cents a gallon more. Plus, in town where I live I don't have to buy BioDiesel......and all the truck stops have at least some percentage of Biodiesel. This plan may fail at times, but so far, it's worked pretty well for us.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:55 PM   #32
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydodge View Post
Something I am still not clear on is: Is there the option of leaving a gravity fed valve open all the time or do they need to be opened/closed as fuel is needed, and if so, what are the fail-safes, if any, should the valves be left open by mistake?
Not sure on that as some say they do it one way and others do it another way. That's why I'm going to run a normally closed 12v valve on mine, switchable from the drivers seat so that if I forget to shut it off at the end of the day, once motor is shut down voltage goes away from the valve and it closes. For myself, I don't think I would ever totally fill the reg tank from the aux tank but only to about 3/4 full or so just for my minds sake. I know some do leave the valve open but I don't think I want to do it that way. Just doesn't sound safe to me.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #33
rickhz

I recently added a Titan tank to my 3500 CTD rig. Here is a link to the installation:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...lation.463141/
rickhz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:17 PM   #34
PopBeavers

My tank is from Transfer Flow. It was there when I bought the truck used.

The top 6 inches or so is storage for tow strap, shove, axe, etc. The bottom is 35 gallons of diesel. The main tank is only 26 gallons.

When the main gauge reads 1/4 the aux. tank pumps fuel from the aux. tank to the main tank until the main gauge reads 3/4.

Fully automagic.
Transfer Flow aux. fuel tank in tool box
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:36 PM   #35
hornet28

PopBeavers If you have an owners manual for it you're set otherwise call the company and speak with a tech. The system can be set to turn on and off differently then what yours is set for
Old 12-21-2017, 03:07 AM   #36
Javi

Quote:
Just a note... If I had to use $20 a tank difference in fuel prices to justify putting a larger fuel tank in my truck... I'd most likely just stay home..

I have a 37 gallon in my truck now and plan on putting the Titian 65 gallon replacement tank in it as soon as the DW makes up her mind on whether we're buying a class A or not...

To me a larger tank is about one thing.... convenience, it means I can travel further without having to find fuel and stop when I want between point A and point B
Old 12-21-2017, 04:22 AM   #37
hornet28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Just a note... If I had to use $20 a tank difference in fuel prices to justify putting a larger fuel tank in my truck... I'd most likely just stay home..

I have a 37 gallon in my truck now and plan on putting the Titian 65 gallon replacement tank in it as soon as the DW makes up her mind on whether we're buying a class A or not...

To me a larger tank is about one thing.... convenience, it means I can travel further without having to find fuel and stop when I want between point A and point B

Convenience is the biggest part, but cost savings figure in also. When I initially purchased my tank I wasn't thinking about fuel savings but soon learned it was there if you took advantage of it. I have no idea how many miles you put on a truck per year hauling but I know that over the time I've had my tank I've saved enough in fuel costs to pay for it. As far as your remark about justifying the tank cost good for you that fuel costs are not a concern of yours. But I imagine there are people reading this that would feel it figured in. I'm also reasonably sure there are a number of people here who don't have the funds to be purchasing and traveling in a class A
Old 12-21-2017, 04:45 AM   #38
Tinner12002

Quote:

At a $20 savings per fill up, that would be a pretty darn good savings over a years time while traveling!! Convenience or money savings either one works for me!! I also believe, that what the poster was referring too was not just only a one time fill up, but a big savings over a yrs time. If I could save 15-20 bucks everytime I filled up...heck yes! I'm thinking I'd be all for that kind of savings at the pump...well, unless I had some other peoples money...Lol! I also know that you probably won't save that everytime, but I bet someone traveling a lot could put a pretty good dent in the price of an aux tank in a yrs time.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:47 AM   #39
Javi

Quote:
Convenience is the biggest part, but cost savings figure in also. When I initially purchased my tank I wasn't thinking about fuel savings but soon learned it was there if you took advantage of it. I have no idea how many miles you put on a truck per year hauling but I know that over the time I've had my tank I've saved enough in fuel costs to pay for it. As far as your remark about justifying the tank cost good for you that fuel costs are not a concern of yours. But I imagine there are people reading this that would feel it figured in. I'm also reasonably sure there are a number of people here who don't have the funds to be purchasing and traveling in a class A
I tow between 5 and 7 thousand miles a year... I still work 45 to 55 hours a week so I'm not on the road every day... wouldn't be even if I could.. I camp to relax, not to tow a trailer thousands of miles.. When not towing a 37 gallon tank of fuel might last me nearly a month.. seven miles each way to work daily..

We rarely leave Texas for many reasons... I don't like the laws in many states, I've already seen them all anyway (except Hawaii) before they were trashed and I got no desire to fly in todays restrictive world..

In Texas it is often 400 miles to someplace else.. and not having to stop and find fuel after 300 miles is a convenience that justifies a $1000 expenditure for a larger tank.. Just don't want to lose any bed space, cause we like to haul firewood and other things in front of the hitch..

Will I drive 30 miles out of my way to save $20 on a tank of fuel... no... not in this lifetime.. Will I fill up at a lower price if it's available... of course...

But I won't give up my bed space for $20 once in a while..

As for the class A... The cost of a nice 5th wheel and a dually to pull it will go a long way towards paying for a nice class A...
Old 12-21-2017, 05:37 AM   #40
hornet28

Quote:
Will I drive 30 miles out of my way to save $20 on a tank of fuel... no... not in this lifetime.. Will I fill up at a lower price if it's available... of course..
Read my comment again and you'll see I said "A town 25 mi away fuel is $.24-29 per gal less at this time. I don't run there just to fuel up but if I'm near there I'll stop there for fuel." No it doesn't make sense to drive way out of the way. That's why I said I check gas buddy for fuel prices as sometimes just driving to the other side of a town will be a big savings in price. Also I stated I've had my tank in two different trucks and I do the install so no added cost that way

Tags
tank