Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2018, 03:54 PM   #61
RK1978

A few comments:
I am a farmer (semi-retired) and truck driver. There is more to the ethanol story than the negatives that seem to be thrown out all the time. Ethanol replaces a product (sorry, name escapes me) that is toxic, persistent in ground water, and was produced by big oil companies. Ethanol income goes to smaller companies and helps with the price of corn. Big oil despises that. Yes you do have to be more careful storing gas.
I have a smaller trailer and older truck and use the car diesel lanes at places that have reasonable prices-to stop at Pilot or Flying J means I am desperate for fuel. Here in WC Indiana there is up to a 50 cent spread in prices between the truck stops and smaller stations. More and more owner operators are bobtailing into places like Murphy Oil to fill up at a more reasonable price. It is disgusting the way the big truckstops are stealing from a captive market.
Finally-DON'T put untaxed farm fuel in your truck.There are inspections for just this thing in the midwest, and the consequences are expensive!
PR
RK1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:52 PM   #62
RKL-Eads

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcolour View Post
I use the truck island all the time when pulling the 5th wheel. No worries about height or getting out. I always pull forward when finished. You can usually click on the first indent on the nozzle lock without shutting off. Fills quick which is nice. Also you have the DEF right there if needed. Also nice to have access to the windshield squeegee with the long handle.

I have a Good Sam's card so always look for a Flying J/Pilot to take the discount. Rarely ever have to go inside first at Flying J/Pilot. Have at others though.
Use the truck lanes if no RV lanes accessible. Also look for Pilot/Flying J and have the RV Plus Card which allows use at truck pumps and gives a discount. Have to be a Good Sam member but makes life much easier. Check out below link.

https://www.rvpluscard.com/
RKL-Eads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:37 PM   #63
dmorgan64

I use whatever works...

Just did a 2000 mile trip. I used both options along the way. I prefer to fill when the trailer is detached. In that case I favor the regular diesel pump island. When towing I have no problem using the diesel truck island. My truck has an Aux 36 gallon tank so stops for diesel are less frequent!
dmorgan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #64
brodiegg

I had a diesel suv and the big truck diesel spout did not fit the suv. According to above there is an adapter so you can use it, the drive through is easier.
brodiegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:23 PM   #65
KSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
I feel sorry for your friend. Our 1999 Dodge 2500 CTD had the large fill and we always used the truck lanes. So Dodge managed to go backwards over the years? Or did a line worker just grab the wrong diameter fill for his particular truck during assembly....
My 2018 ram fits them fine as did my 16 1500 ecodiesel.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:53 PM   #66
rhagfo

read a lot of the post here, I find the price difference to more like $.30 to $.50 per gallon, I will run to about a 1/4 tank about 28 gallons to fill. I will skip a truck stop and hit the regular fuel station at the next exit pay less and most have plenty of room to get in. I can also go close to 300 miles on a full tank before I get worried about filling.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:10 AM   #67
Kevin H

Always truck lanes

I almost always use the truck lanes. So much easier to get in and out. Maybe it's me but last thing I want to do after arriving at a campsite is to unhook and go out to search for fuel. I have never felt like I am restricting access for a commercial driver. I do get my fuel and def and try to move out of the way, but almost always there is additional parking available for going in to use facilities or walking the dog. Besides when pulling in a 50 foot overall rig you almost certainly block others from getting to the diesel and gas pumps for the general public and these people can be a whole lot more hostile.
Kevin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:54 AM   #68
mazboy

good story but hard to read without using paragraphs.

i like to ending to the story.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:46 AM   #69
Fivestring

I drive a truck for a living and I also pull my own 34 ft Sprinter fifthwheel and we don’t have a problem with anyone using the truck pumps as long as you pull forward when done and if you’re going to eat or shop then you should park in a spot before you do so. Also all diesel is ultra low sulfur now the only difference between off road diesel and on road is the color of dye and tax.
Fivestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:52 PM   #70
Just BeClaus

When your filling up diesel or gas remember to shut the flame off to the refrigerator. Just a good thing to do before pulling in...
Just BeClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:18 PM   #71
K_N_L

Whether I go to the big name truck stops depends a lot on on where I am. Traveling out west I found a lot of local and cheaper places along my path. But on my trips up and down I-95 or in metro areas I tend to trust getting in out at the truck stop interchanges easier if more costly. I'm not retired (yet) so our trips have start and end dates pretty firmly set thus we may put in long days getting to our destination so I may tend to lean toward convenience versus cost. I look for every discount I can, fuel rewards and cash back cards. I'm looking forward to slower days and longer stays but for now I dont fret (much) about the higher cost, which I do feel is offset by the occasional boondock in their lots.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:38 PM   #72
sonofcy

Most jurisdictions ban propane being on while underway. The better refrigerators will have 3 way (110V,12V, and propane) the cheaper units just 2 way (110V and propane). Everything will stay cool between campgrounds unless you are driving a very long time, most folks do 4 hours or even less and is not a problem at all. Our unit on our new 5er is one of those residential units and runs on 110 all the time. We have a 1,000 Watt inverter and 4 T105's for on the road and boondocking backed up by a pair of 2Kw Hondas and coming solar. BTW, most non-crash RV losses are due to propane fires from the fridge. I saw one last year and it was fierce. Watched a big 5er go from a small fire to a total loss in a few minutes, the fire department just watered down the ashes. If you leave it on in a gas station and something happens that is likely criminal negligence leading to huge financial costs and potentially significant jail time if injury or death is involved.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:34 AM   #73
mazboy

To answer the first question, pull into whatever gas/diesel lane you are comfortable with.

as for the comment above, most jurisdictions Don't ban propane while drive, ONLY when going through a tunnel or such. but there are a ton of opinions out there. Most rvers just leave the gas on when traveling down the road.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:50 AM   #74
notanlines

Son, "If you leave it on in a gas station and something happens that is likely criminal negligence leading to huge financial costs and potentially significant jail time if injury or death is involved" did you read that on the internet somewhere? I'm calling "baloney story" on that statement.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:57 AM   #75
flybouy
Site Team

Urban legend is stronger than truth. I saw a survey on the news the other night that over 50% of people surveyed get their news from social media. Sad.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:15 AM   #76
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
Most jurisdictions ban propane being on while underway. The better refrigerators will have 3 way (110V,12V, and propane) the cheaper units just 2 way (110V and propane). Everything will stay cool between campgrounds unless you are driving a very long time, most folks do 4 hours or even less and is not a problem at all. Our unit on our new 5er is one of those residential units and runs on 110 all the time. We have a 1,000 Watt inverter and 4 T105's for on the road and boondocking backed up by a pair of 2Kw Hondas and coming solar. BTW, most non-crash RV losses are due to propane fires from the fridge. I saw one last year and it was fierce. Watched a big 5er go from a small fire to a total loss in a few minutes, the fire department just watered down the ashes. If you leave it on in a gas station and something happens that is likely criminal negligence leading to huge financial costs and potentially significant jail time if injury or death is involved.
I would urge you to research your statements and verify. Call your motor vehicle administration and ask for the statute that bans the use of propane while underway. I'd also like to see your sources on most rv fires are from propane fridges. Most rv fridges are propane/110 v.a.c. The 12 v.d.c. is for the control board only. 12 v.d. fridges are few and are very small. They are typically found in rpods and slide in truck bed campers.
As for propane usage not allowed you better tell all those grocery truckers running up and down the highways. How do you think they deliver frozen food, fresh meat, vegetables and fruit?
Old 09-12-2018, 06:32 AM   #77
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I would urge you to research your statements and verify. Call your motor vehicle administration and ask for the statute that bans the use of propane while underway. I'd also like to see your sources on most rv fires are from propane fridges. Most rv fridges are propane/110 v.a.c. The 12 v.d.c. is for the control board only. 12 v.d. fridges are few and are very small. They are typically found in rpods and slide in truck bed campers.

As for propane usage not allowed you better tell all those grocery truckers running up and down the highways. How do you think they deliver frozen food, fresh meat, vegetables and fruit?
Actually the produce trucks use a diesel or gasoline fired gen to operate the refer unit. The vast majority I have seen are diesel.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:34 AM   #78
flybouy
Site Team

On the east coast I've seen both. I didn't even mention all the buses in many large cities that run on LNG. I've seen some delivery trucks running LNG as well. They have been moving away from diesel as emissionstandars get tighter and compressed gases get more economical.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #79
travelin texans

With all the rvs traveling the highways on any given day I'd bet less than 1 in a 100 (maybe a 1000) are traveling with their propane off.
Been rving 40+ years & in all that time I've set the fridge to "auto" & never changed it til I turn it "off" to store the rv.
If it was illegal to travel with it on propane there'd be warning stickers plastered all over the fridge with that warning! HERE'S YOUR SIGN!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:07 AM   #80
MattHelm21

Quote:
Most jurisdictions ban propane being on while underway.
I have to chime in on this one and I promise I mean no disrespect to the poster. Around me, the propane delivery vehicles as well as many other commercial vehicles operate on propane so someone may want to tell them about turning it off while underway.

Tags
fuel