Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Recalls
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
487sharp

stereo speaker

I have a 2017 Cougar with "puck lights" that turn on an off by touching the base of the light. Turning the lights on above the TV and/or recliner will cause stereo speaker to fade out. Anyone?
487sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:18 PM   #2
JimMach1

Speakers

Led lights cause radio interference not sure what to do about it besides adding an outside antenna? I have seen leds block signals to garage door openers too.

JimMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:05 AM   #3
foldbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMach1 View Post
Led lights cause radio interference not sure what to do about it besides adding an outside antenna? I have seen leds block signals to garage door openers too.

Yes I replace all of my front yard lighting to LED and my gate and garage door openers stopped working. It depends on the quality of the LED shielding and frequency.
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:13 AM   #4
ChuckS

In kit cases of RFI from the LED lights you can eliminate the interference by using some clam shell ferrite clamp beads... install one on the 120 VAC power cord of the stereo and also on each speaker lead.

I’ve done this in my Alpine and have zero interference with TV set or stereo.

Many of the LED assemblies are using cheap and poorly designed voltage regulators that are built into the LED fixtures and the regulator is creating RFI hash.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:25 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Many, probably "most" LED light fixtures are "bi-directional" meaning that they can be connected without regard to the POS/NEG connections. Older LED's will not work if connected incorrectly. On some of the newer LED fixtures, if there is interference with the radio signal, often, just changing the "bi-directional connection" will stop the interference.

So, if you have one light that causes radio interference, you can pull that light fixture, swap the POS/NEG leads to the light and try again. It may fix your problem, but it also may not fix it. Worth a try, and the "cost is negligible"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:32 PM   #6
ChuckS

LED lighting means “Light Emitting Diode”... a Diode will ONLY pass current in one direction.

If an LED light fixture is connected reverse polarity it will not work... diodes can only pass current in one direction..

However...some of the newer LED fixtures do have symmetric contact points and in this case the fixture is not polarity sensitive

Old 01-21-2020, 01:49 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
LED lighting means “Light Emitting Diode”... a Diode will ONLY pass current in one direction.

If an LED light fixture is connected reverse polarity it will not work... diodes can only pass current in one direction..

However...some of the newer LED fixtures do have symmetric contact points and in this case the fixture is not polarity sensitive
ChuckS,

I'm surprised !!! All of the LED light assemblies/fixtures are MUCH more than just a "diode". Nearly all of the "light fixtures" are operable at a range of input voltages. Most used on RV's will work on voltages from 12 - 28 VDC. They do that by incorporating a "voltage regulator circuit" that changes the input voltage (regardless of range) so the regulator output is 12VDC (or in some, 5VDC).

The input to the voltage regulator circuit is NOT polarity sensitive and the voltage regulator is the circuit within the "LED light fixture" that causes the interference.

Often, changing the input wires will reduce the interference with the stereo. It has no affect on the +/- polarity of the output of the voltage regulator circuit.

Check some of the "LED fixtures" description on any website....

I'll agree with you, if you're talking about a "single LED" as a diode, then that component is polarity sensitive, but a "LED fixture" with multiple LED's, voltage regulator circuits and other various electronic components is not a "simple LED"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-22-2020, 06:38 AM   #8
ChuckS

Read back on this post ... I already talked about voltage regulators on”some” LED fixtures... and some have that circuitry and some don’t..

Period

Depends on the light fixture.. Is it a group of LEDs or single bulb...

Regardless. The OP needs to “decouple” the RFI on the speaker and the stereo since it’s picking up the emitted RFI and amplifying it.

The best resolve is to use a clam shell ferrite bead on both the 120 AC line for the stereo as well as the speaker output leads....

Old 01-22-2020, 08:10 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Read back on this post ... I already talked about voltage regulators on”some” LED fixtures... and some have that circuitry and some don’t..

Period

Depends on the light fixture.. Is it a group of LEDs or single bulb...

Regardless. The OP needs to “decouple” the RFI on the speaker and the stereo since it’s picking up the emitted RFI and amplifying it.

The best resolve is to use a clam shell ferrite bead on both the 120 AC line for the stereo as well as the speaker output leads....
The bolded comment is a "intensive, technically challenging repair" for someone who isn't familiar with electronics or, especially for someone whose first question is, "How do I remove my stereo?".

Often changing the polarity on the voltage input to the ceiling light fixtures will "put the interference on the ground side" and stop the RF transmission from the voltage regulator... It's a quicker remedy (if it works) and IMHO, worth a try before attempting to install ferrite beads for someone who isn't familiar with electronics.

I've found that it works about 50% of the time, costs "nothing but a few minutes of time" and solves the problem quickly. For me, it's worth the effort, I suppose for you, it's not. To each his/her own.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
stereo