Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #1
DEW

I-90 NY State - Camping World's

Hey all,
I have to admit my family loved our first trip camping in MI last summer, that we are looking at going back to try something else new.
Looking at the Adirondack area.

So this poses a few questions... for me I would like to stop at a Camping World and see there are three of them along the way. Any feedback on which one would be worth me to go to as I do not want to stop 3 times. (ie which one is the biggest as I know some CW's can be small)

Also any area's I should stay away from in travelling? Like steep grades etc...

Most importantly, if we head this way - any suggestions for a nice park to stop at for the week so we can tour the area?

Appreciate any feedback on my queries....

Thanks from snowy Canada....
2003 Avalanche 5.3L w/ 4:10 gears
Reese HP Dual Cam
DEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
jq1031

I've done the "DAKS" a few years back & in fact we're returning next summer, up from Florida. Last time we stayed in the Lake Placid area in the town of Wilmington, NY. The campground was North Pole Resorts, a nice wooded CG with back in sites & full hookups. Lake Placid is a beautiful quaint town, great resturants and shopping with alot for the whole family to do. The Lake itself has much to offer from swimming to site seeing. Renting a pontoon boat seeing the summer homes of the wealthy (from the water) is a memorable experience, bring a cooler & snacks while enjoying the view. Also the North Pole itself with Santas work shop & raindeer is great for small children. Regarding Camping World, the one that comes to mind is Churchville, NY near Rochester. It is a medium size CW and well supplied. I believe there is another one in the Syracuse area although I've never been to that one. The roads up to Lake Placid are all plenty big enough for any RV, although some are single lane and the grades are mild as compared to some. Enjoy your trip......Joe
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
mhs4771

Are you planning on coming across the border at the Falls or Thousand Islands? I would guess the Falls if coming from Hamilton, there's a CW just West of Rochester, but not the easiest to get too from the Thruway. Next is just West of Syracuse right off the Thruway. There was one in Amsterdam, still a big RV Dealer, but no longer a CW. If you have extra time there's a really nice State Park an hour South of Rochester, Letchworth State Park, it's nick named the Grand Canyon of the East. Although it can't really hold a candle to the real Grand Canyon it is a really nice park with a 17 mile gorge and plenty of hiking trails.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:41 AM   #4
DEW

Yes planning on coming in thru Niagara/Buffalo. This way I do not need to drive thru Toronto.
Have heard of Letchworth and also told Allegany State Park is nice.
Thanks for the hint on the CW in Rochester, easier is better, so I may lean toward Syracuse then....
2003 Avalanche 5.3L w/ 4:10 gears
Reese HP Dual Cam
DEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
mhs4771

Allegany is also a nice park, but would be quite a bit out of the way for your plans. It's on the border with PA. No Cell service or TV (handful of sites that can get sat service, but most are wooded) in the park to speak of, so if you're looking to get away and back to nature it's great. Our stick house is South of Rochester (when we're there) so know the area very well.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
therink

Hi. The CW in Syracuse is bigger and easier access from I90. Exit 39 I believe just off of I690. You can't miss it.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote