Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2018, 07:22 AM   #41
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
4 - 5 thousand

It's 300 miles one way to anywhere in Texas...
Reminds me of an old joke... A texan and a West Virginian are riding in the truck of the man from WV. The Texan said that it took 3 days to ride around the perimeter of his ranch. The man from WV said yes it used to take him that long until he bought himself a new truck that didn't break down every 5 min.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:40 AM   #42
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Reminds me of an old joke... A texan and a West Virginian are riding in the truck of the man from WV. The Texan said that it took 3 days to ride around the perimeter of his ranch. The man from WV said yes it used to take him that long until he bought himself a new truck that didn't break down every 5 min.
I hunted Pronghorn out around Alpine, Texas a couple of times.. The rancher told us we could use the original ranch house to stay in cause it was in the small pasture... The small pasture was 10 sections... 6400 acres
Old 09-03-2018, 07:45 AM   #43
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Your trailer was certified from it's manufacturer for LT tires. It's what you're supposed to us as replacements.
My 5er was "certified" for 16" G rated tires, I wore the original set out & replaced with 17.5" H rated ties/wheels & don't give a rat's patootie about what it was "certified" for, I'm now confident I'll have no tire issues.
As for LT tires on an rv, I replaced the original ST tires on my 1st big 5er with LT tires & after 10 years & over 100k miles of rv towing the LTs are the only tires I've ever had major damage from, wrong tires or just my luck I don't know, but won't use LT tires again on my rv!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:08 AM   #44
ChuckS

Most popular tires??

Gee I’m running Les Schwab cheap Geo Star 14 ply LT 235/85x16 since 2015. I see no reason yet to even consider replacing these tires. Love tire threads .. lots of perspectives. And no the sticker on the fifth wheel doesn’t state this tire size or ply rating.

However... same fifth wheel came out in 2015 ... exactly the same and same 7K axles. It now comes standard with 14 ply G rated Provider tires. They are ST but I’ll run my LTs.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #45
rhagfo

Quote:
Light truck tires are designed for service on Light Trucks, SUVs and multi passenger vehicles.

Special Trailer tires are designed for service on any sort of trailer.

The design characteristics between the two differ considerably. So will the building materials, compounds and formulas. It's why the ST tires have higher load capacities than like sized tires of other designs.

However, the basic argument often centers on their passenger carrying abilities. Twenty-two states currently allow RV trailers to carry passengers. It's not dependent on the tires ability to carry passengers but the safety factor. All DOT highway certified tires are approved for passenger service.
I agree that the design and materials are different, BUT I believe that the ST tires get a false higher load capacity through being rated at a lower speed, and lower reserve capacity.
I have stated before my LT are rated for 3,042#, but they have the ability to carry that load at speeds of 106 mph. Now we all know higher speeds create more heat in the tire, so therefore at reasonable speeds of 55 to 70 mph there is a large reserve capacity in both heat dissipation and weight.

I really don't see a need for "Special" tires for trailers, semis use the same tire carcass be it be on steer, driver, or trailer axle. The only possible difference would be tread design.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:17 PM   #46
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I agree that the design and materials are different, BUT I believe that the ST tires get a false higher load capacity through being rated at a lower speed, and lower reserve capacity.
I have stated before my LT are rated for 3,042#, but they have the ability to carry that load at speeds of 106 mph. Now we all know higher speeds create more heat in the tire, so therefore at reasonable speeds of 55 to 70 mph there is a large reserve capacity in both heat dissipation and weight.

I really don't see a need for "Special" tires for trailers, semis use the same tire carcass be it be on steer, driver, or trailer axle. The only possible difference would be tread design.

That part isn't true, at least it wasn't when I was in charge of 30 trucks delivering fertilizer all over Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and New Mexico...

Steering tires are different than drivers and both are different than trailer tires.. I suppose there are some brands that offer an all position tire but no one I know would mix steering and trailer tires... ever
Old 09-03-2018, 01:32 PM   #47
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Just asking because I dont know. Are the ST tires maybe speed rated lower because they were not tested at higher than necessary speeds and not because they couldnt do it? That makes sense to me. Besides, if you see rated a trailer tire to 10p mph, some i.10t would try to do it.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:38 PM   #48
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
That part isn't true, at least it wasn't when I was in charge of 30 trucks delivering fertilizer all over Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and New Mexico...

Steering tires are different than drivers and both are different than trailer tires.. I suppose there are some brands that offer an all position tire but no one I know would mix steering and trailer tires... ever
So you just chucked an old set of steer carcass's in the trash? You didn't have them re-caped as drivers or trailer tread??
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #49
Javi

Quote:
So you just chucked an old set of steer carcass's in the trash? You didn't have them re-caped as drivers or trailer tread??

Actually no... we used new tires on all positions for the over road rigs and I sold the carcasses to a re-capper out of Dallas...

Before I started doing it that was we were plagued with flats out in the sticks.. Our tire / service call costs went down considerably with using new tires..

something about penny wise, pound short...

It cost a lot more for a service call to change flats than to just buy new tires by the trailer load.. especially when you're running an 84K permit on the truck most of the time..
Old 09-03-2018, 03:11 PM   #50
m&m

I have the OE tires still 2017 (365MB). After 20K miles and they are in good shape. Just had them checked by tire ctr.
Looking to replace with same.
Have to fix other issues first.
m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:30 PM   #51
CWtheMan

Quote:

Tire load capacity depends on the tire's ability to carry a particular weight in accordance with the inflation pressure required to support that weigh. Officially your tires can carry 3042# when properly inflated to 80 PSI. Because they can carry that weight at higher speeds does not change anything about their maximum load capacity. The tire design allows those tires to travel faster than some other brand or tire design. It does not increase the tire's load capacity. It's just part of that tires operational parameters.

My research shows that Keystone only used that sized tire as OEM for two model years. Two of the name brands used on 6000# axles were Uniroyal & Mission. They had a very similar failure rate as the 16" LRD ST tires on the same axles. They did much better on 5200# axles.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:45 PM   #52
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
My 5er was "certified" for 16" G rated tires, I wore the original set out & replaced with 17.5" H rated ties/wheels & don't give a rat's patootie about what it was "certified" for, I'm now confident I'll have no tire issues.
As for LT tires on an rv, I replaced the original ST tires on my 1st big 5er with LT tires & after 10 years & over 100k miles of rv towing the LTs are the only tires I've ever had major damage from, wrong tires or just my luck I don't know, but won't use LT tires again on my rv!
Almost all 17.5" LRH tires are partially designed for Regional Service Trailer. Without a name brand I assume you've found a brand that isn't?

Here is a reference to one of the most popular.
https://www.oneclicktires.com/tires/view/35706
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:31 AM   #53
sfsurvivor

Trailer King Tires - - LOOK OUT!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog7571 View Post
OK Folks, here is a question that I'm sure will create many choices and theories. What is the best tires to put on a 5th wheel that weights 14,000 Lbs??

I've got an Avalanche 365MB, which is around 13,700lbs.
I have a 2014 Keystone Alpine fifth wheel - bought it new in 2014!
The Trailer King Tires that Keystone put on my rig have blown out both sides of my fifth wheel - While on the side of the road on a Sunday, I had NO choice but to buy the same brand 3 more - ALL of the Trailer King tires that Keystone sold on my rig have blown out and so have all the replacements!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had Good Year Endurance tires put on and low and behold - I haven't had any further blow outs~!!!! If you bought a rig from Keystone and they have Trailer King tires, WATCH OUT!!!!!
sfsurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:14 AM   #54
Thoremilly

Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Depends on the size and max pressure of the wheels.
Not all tires are available in all sizes.
I just put Goodyear Endurance on ripped off the China bombs, I have a 341 RKI 2017. Love them ride great and American made
Thoremilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #55
travelin texans

Quote:
Almost all 17.5" LRH tires are partially designed for Regional Service Trailer. Without a name brand I assume you've found a brand that isn't?

Here is a reference to one of the most popular.
https://www.oneclicktires.com/tires/view/35706
They're Sailun! I'd rate them equal to GY at about 1/2 or less of the price of the GYs!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #56
Thoremilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
TRAILER KING! These fine tires produce more discussion than all other brands put together.

I will say that wheel size and type sort of limits the choices for any trailer. I have 15" rims so my choices are TRAILER KING (just kidding), Carlisle, Maxxis and Goodyear as far as decent brands go. Might be missing something but I like E rated tires on my trailer even though it only specs D. No Sailuns in my future. I am also kind of leery about LT tires. So much contraversy regarding LT tires I just am not sure.

I have seen 15" 12 ply tires out there on the market (Hercules for one) but specs are hard to find; I mostly have seen generic specs that say inflate 95 PSI which creates its own issues. All the 12 PLY tires were what I would call off brands (never heard of any of them and country of origin is likely in the Far East but eBay seems to have stopped forcing sellers to disclose the country of origin.
Endurance are American made I paid 150 a tire 80# E rated on a 341 RKI Cougar 5er love them 38’
Thoremilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:17 AM   #57
leathermanls

Quote:
OK Folks, here is a question that I'm sure will create many choices and theories. What is the best tires to put on a 5th wheel that weights 14,000 Lbs??

We put Taskmaster Provider ST235/85R16 Load Range G on our 5th wheel 3 years ago and have no blowouts or any issues.
leathermanls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #58
rmhaney

Tire classes

I have a Sprinter with a max 11,600. It had Class D tires and I replaced them with the new Goodyear Endurance class E tires. What ever it calls for I would upgrade one class and go with Goodyear.

Quote:

rmhaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:56 PM   #59
Andymil

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Did I miss something?
You forgot the earth is flat!

I put the GY Endurance tires on the Sprinter. About 2000 miles on them so far. How will we know how well they hold up if nobody buys them?
Andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #60
lagniw

I tow a 2013 Raptor 365 LEV tri-axle and only got 9,000 km on the original China made tires. Good thing I checked then every trip. I was lucky. Had everything from bulges to tread shift and rounded tires. Replaced with Maxxis in spring of 2016 and no issues. At the same time I replaced a new 1/2” shackle kit with grease bolts and brass bushings. Glad I did as 2 shackles had hairline cracks.
lagniw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires